HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Where do orgasms come from? Where do orgasms come from?

Unread 10-08-2007, 05:34 AM
Where do orgasms come from?

Are they hormone based? Are they all in our mind? Are they from nerves endings?

How can you have an orgasms if your ovaries are gone and you are not on HRT?
If they are hormone based.

If they are all in our minds, then how do we unblock our mind?

Just wondering where do they come from?
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:28 AM

I am not an expert by any means, but I believe that orgasms generally come from nerves and are experienced in the form of spasms both in the vaginal canal and in the uterus.
That being said...I do believe that BOTH hormones and 'our minds' can interfere and make it difficult to achieve.
Relaxation, a glass of wine, lots of extended foreplay, media, and even 'toys' can all help with the mental aspect of it.

I am only 2.5 weeks out from my surgery and have not had sex or attempted orgasm, so I could very well be forced to take my own advice when it comes to having sex. I have no idea how it will work for me. Best of Luck to you!
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:21 AM

I don't have a uterus anymore, I don't have anything anymore. I have had sex and it's different. I know I'm not as relaxed as I should be. I'm very worried about how our sex life will be. My husband has a very high sex drive and even before my surgery I did not want sex as much as he did. I tend to allow stuff to worry me, like bills, cleaning, cooking, working, caring for our son,,,so mentally I don't often relax. I will need to learn to relax to try and enjoy life and our sex life.

I can tell that intercourse felt different then before and in better way, but my orgasms was not as intense as before.
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:27 AM

I'm sorry, I did realize that you dont have a uterus anymore, but you asked where they come from and I was just answering. How are you doing emotionally? If you are depressed at all that can interfere in a big way.

I am worried that my orgasms won't be as intense anymore either. I wonder how it will be without the uterine contraction. My O's were always clitoral and involved both uterine and vaginal spasms...
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:38 AM
where do orgasms come from

I really don't know the answer to that physiological question, but I DO know that they apparently must not come from the uterus, cervix or ovaries.

I experienced a more intense feeling than before the hysterectomy. It seemed to be more of a 'grabbing' sensation and it didn't want to end. I realize that's a bit more information that anyone truly wants, but I think it's important.

I made a conscious effort, prior to the surgery, not to take too much of what I gathered in the way of experienced advice and, frankly, some horror stories to heart. I actually tried to block the negatives from my mind because I was determined not to be one of the unhappy, unfulfilled, unhealthy hyster-stories.

A lot of our healing and health comes from how we perceive things and what our expectations are regarding our individual situations.

Yes, I was nervous the first time 'back in the sack' but my DH was understanding, we went slow and it was amazing. It felt like the first time all over again and I'm pretty old to even remember what that was like!

Don't be scared...you won't relax. I wish you WELL!
Unread 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM

If you're asking what stimulation contributes to them, I once had an orgasm while nursing my baby. Since my surgery I've had a sleeping (Dreaming) orgasm, so I know I'm capable of them.

If you're asking what parts of the body experience them, I think the other writer was right, probably vagina and womb, and maybe clitoris, cause I seem to have that experience. Anyway, I have no womb or cervix or ovaries and I had a sleeping orgasm so I'm sure we are still capable of them.

and rereading your questions, I have no idea if you need hormones to have them, but we do still have some estrogen from our fat cells and I think from the Pancreas or Pituitary. I'm not to well versed in that. And it's been established for the last 40 years or so that women who have had menopause can still have them so I wouldn't rule them out just because you aren't on HRT.

They're 90 percent in your mind and emotions. Getting luvy with your hunny with no worrying, just get cozy and it'll come when you least expect it. Maybe not the first time, but sometime. Relax and don't worry so. Kitty
Unread 10-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

Aprilynn I was not offended with your reply, I was just stating that all my stuff is gone. So no need to say sorry, thanks.

I know it will get better. I just need to relax. Stop worrying about everything and just relax and enjoy that moment.

Hey, actually good sex will help me forget about other problems, at least for a little while.

Glad to hear that even with all the stuff gone, orgasms wherever they come from are still with us.

It has to be alot mental, maybe the hormones just get you in the mood or have you crave it, but mentally is how it happens.

I know even with all my stuff, there were times when they were no orgasms.
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Hi lyb - I'm happy to say that my orgasms are better and stronger than before my surgery and I have NOTHING left... uterus, ovaries and cervix all gone. I was really worried about it, but it's better than before! It took a couple of times of trial and error with intercourse, I think we were both a little nervous, but it did/does get better with time.
Hang in there and just enjoy one another....
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Me, too...I just celebrated my 26th anniversary and I have to say, things are going extremely well in the bedroom...Just think, you won't have to worry about pain or bleeding during your intimate moments anymore! That in itself is a HUGE turnon!
Unread 10-08-2007, 08:04 PM

I am 4 weeks today post op.

I have one ovary left.
I have since surgery been more sexually pre-occupied than before.
I get turned on easier.
I the two times we did make-out (No sex yet) seemed to "finish" easier. I notice a lack of moisture that was there before but I believe that I have had an increased sex drive and that when I am all healed sex is going to be better than ever. I hate being in the starting gate and waiting for the race to vegin, but I am stomping my feet and snarling my nostrils and waiting for the gate to open and the bell to ring.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.