Where to start? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Where to start? Where to start?

Unread 10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Where to start?

I just got a call on Friday that this coming Tues I will have a pre-op and on Thurs Oct 18 have the hysterectomy. They said the fibroid is at about 20 or more weeks size and the endometrial lining in precancerous. They have only told me that they will have to do a vertical incision (had 4 c-sect), whats another scar. They say they cant tell you what they are goint to take out until they get in there, and at least 48 hours in hosp. afterwards. Is this comparable to c-sect? I stayed 4 dayss (9 years ago). I feel so unprepared. I got the red cross to get my son home from Korea on emergency leave so he can help with the kids. My spouse is taking a week off. Is that enough? Not sure what to think, no time to think it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Where to start?

Wow - Adecoder.... So much on your plate and in such a short amount of time. All I can say is that surgery schedules had to be re-arranged to get you such an early date! You're a Queen in my book!

I had my surgery scheduled since September 20th and 5.5 weeks out was the earliest they could do. In a way, you're lucky as to not have to go through weeks of anxiety and worrying. I have two weeks to go...

Read through the pre-op check list and bring a few of the items that you think you may need. Most posts here have said that a lot of the items brought, were never used. Be sure to have granny pants at home (no bikini's or low cut undies that will cut into your incision). The few items I am taking to the castle for sure, are: a robe for walking the halls, slippers, an eye mask, chapstick and face cream. Only one woman had her iPod stolen off of her bed tray but others have said it's a good thing to have if your bedmate is noisy or you have a difficult time falling asleep. I'm going to wear sweatpants and a big sweatshirt to the castle and plan on wearing the same thing home. Some women don't even go in with a bra. I've read that most hospitals provide the simple toiletries but I'm going to bring shampoo and soap. Check out the list and see what they recommend. I had two c-sections with horizontal incision. I think the surgery is similar to that of c-section less the spinal block.

My hubby is taking one week off as well since we didn't think I needed family leave. I have two kids 10 and 12 and they will have to help out around the house. Hubby will also have to pick up the slack since I won't be able to do most things. If there's anything else you want to know, let me know....

This site has so many great people and a zillion posts that help. Unfortunately you dont' have the time, but check out the hyster sisters checklists because they're a tremendous help.

Good luck....
Unread 10-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Where to start?

good luck, mine is for oct 23, i was prepared but now my mind is just scattered, thinking too much. but we will be okay.. everyone says the before time is the worst, so i'm trying to believe that. my thoughts will be with you on thursday. just get your rest and let us know how you are feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2007, 11:36 PM
thanks

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have just found this site and have found some helpful info on the list and some funny things to lift my spirits, esp. on the things we have learned page. I am glad I read that and laughed before the surgery.
I was told originally in Sept that I would have the surgery sometime (maybe Dec), but the fibroid kept growing fast, and causing more pain, bleeding, etc, so they put me on the urgent cancellation list and here I am, unprepared, but glad to get it done too. I am sure the large pressure relief will be the best. I am 44 with two kids, 9 and 10. so a little help, but still worried. Just like most people. Church called and they will bring in meals like every other day to give youtime to eat the left overs. Take care all.
Unread 10-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Where to start?

Hi, adecoder:

Firstly, breathe. Everything is going to be just fine. The sooner you're on the "other side," the sooner you can heal and feel sooo much better. I will be saying prayers that all turns out well for you.

Having said that, you didn't say if your children were boys or girls or one of each but it really does not matter: enlist their help! My mom had her hysterectomy when I was about their age and I felt so very grown up to be taken into my mother's confidence and able to help her get up from a seated position or bed and hold her arm while she walked. I also fetched drinks and slippers and changed the TV channel (years before a remote was around).

You will need plenty of rest and time to heal: no housework! Insist on this, so you can heal properly. You only have one chance for that!

Finally, read whatever interests you here at HysterSisters. There are many, many wonderful ladies here who have been where you are and they've been where you are going. If they're here, they're here to help.

Again, I want you to know that everything will be all right. Post back if you have any more questions. There's always someone here!

xoxo
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Where to start?

I had a TAH BSO on the 1st of Oct. I had 2 c-sections too. The hysterctomy was a little more painful to me but I think its because thats all I had to deal with (meaning I didnt have the "prize" of the baby for all the pain)

Take your own shampoo and soap,I dont like the castle kind. Also ask for those pains meds! I sure did!! LOL!!

One thing that helped me, when you have to get up out of bed as soon as your feet hit the floor stand up dont linger! For me it helped to "pop right on up" (quote from a nurse helping me up)

I think since you have already had a few C-sections you know what to expect as far as pain goes. My doc had to spend over a hour taking out scar tissue that had turned to stone so I would expect that for you too.

I hope I have helped and not scared you.I cant seem to think today. PM me if you have any other questions okay?
Unread 10-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Where to start?

I just got back from the pre-op and now I am crying. I was now told they are taking everything except the kitchen sink (cervix). They said with having pre-cancerous cells, 4 c-sections, and no test for ovarian cancer, they want to take everything, ovaries, tubes, uterus, and probably the appendix. He said if I was under 40 they would try to keep the ovaries, but since I am closer to 45, they will just give me hormone replacement. I guess I am just upset because I wasn't planning on the menopause just yet. I don't have time for that in my life!!! Oh well. Thanks for listening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register