HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Change in vision after surgery Change in vision after surgery

Unread 10-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Change in vision after surgery

Hi everyone!

I had my hysterectomy and rectocele repair on Thursday and just got home from the castle a few hours ago.

I am feeling pretty decent but I noticed this a.m. that I couldn't see anything close up with my contacts on. Took my contacts out and tried my glasses...same problem. I am near sighted and need my glasses/contacts to see distances but have never had a problem seeing close up while wearing my corrective lenses. Has anybody heard of this happening after surgery? It's too weird.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Unread 10-26-2007, 09:47 PM

I noticed my vision is blurred ... wonder if the surgery did have something to do with it
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:06 PM

I had my LSH back in June. I definitely notice a different in my vision, particularly for reading. I made an appointment but in the meantime my glasses have really become my best friend and text is often blurry. I KNOW I need a new prescription.
Kim
LSH 6/27/07 for fibroids/anemia
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks for responding.

I know my blood pressure was a bit low so the nurses were checking it every 30 minutes. Do you think that might have something to do with it? Could it be the pain meds? I was on Duladid via the PCA pump then I was switched to Vicodin tablets and Toradol through the IV line.

All I know is that it is going to take awhile to get used to taking my glasses on and off.
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:46 PM

I am also near sighted. I read an article a long time ago that said women who have hysterectomies end up wearing bifocals sooner. Well, about a year after my hysterectomy, I had a headache almost everyday for two weeks. I thought it was sinus related. But the meds that I had for that didn't work and they usually do. The allergy doctor even had me try an anti-depressant that supposedly works better for headaches. That didn't work either. So I went to the eye doctor. She said the doctor that I normally see had made a note in my chart that I was close to needing bifocals the last time my eyes were checked. (That was before the hysterectomy.) But she said my "eyes were BEGGING for bifocals now."

Anyway, I asked her about what I had read. She said that it is true, but nobody seems to know why. I also asked the GYN that did the surgery. He said that he hadn't heard that before. So I don't know anything more about it than I did before.
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:53 PM

I had trouble w/ my vision after surgery too, for several days. Couldn't focus on anything close up and my eye/hand coordination was weird. It lasted a few days and then cleared up. I think it was either the anesthesia or the anti-nausea patch. Once I took that patch off it got better.

Gigimay
Unread 10-26-2007, 11:06 PM

GigiMay,

I didn't think of the patch...Are you talking about the patch for nausea/motion sickness? They did give me one of those prior to surgery and I still have it on. Maybe, I should take it off but I do hate being nauseous. I think I will though...I can always take some Phenergan or Ginger if I need to.

Thanks again.
Jen

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.