HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Cauterization & Bleeding *warning graphicly described* Cauterization & Bleeding *warning graphicly described*

Unread 11-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Cauterization & Bleeding *warning graphicly described*

I'm not sure what I can further do, but have been in close contact w/obgyn dr who did my surgery (my regular dr is surgeon) over this.

I was having the chocolate colored bleeding since last week wednesday, saw dr monday for it. He did a Silver Nitrate Cauterization in the office because he found some Endometrial Tissue on the inside of the cervix (I have all of my parts gone except the cervix due to Endometriosis). After 2 days, that same color was still coming, along w/little silver bits. Yesterday (Wednesday), I went to the bathroom in the afternoon & the pad was SOAKED & the blood was BRIGHT RED. I wiped like crazy for what seemed like ever & changed pads. THank goodness I didn't overflow onto my clothes, as I was w/hubby waiting to meet his sister on a layover from her honeymoon in Cancun to her home in Wisconsin (she & her new hubby had a 4 hr layover here in Charlotte where we live)!!

Anyway, I mentioned it before bed to hubby, promising to call dr next morning. Was in pain on Right side from middle of front that essentially "banded" around to the back, stopping in the same spot (middle of back) when I got up to let dog out at 7am today. Took some pain meds & went back to bed for a bit, but couldn't get comfy. Went to livingroom & sat on couch. Felt a little better, but still uncomfortable.

Called dr. about 830a this morning & they said at 1st I may have to go to the ER for the bleeding Then the nurse called me back & said that instead of the ER, they're going to prescribe me Provera for the bleeding & do another cauterization Monday afternoon. So I have to go to Walmart Pharmacy & get the script.

So after this long story/explination, did I break the Silver Nitrate cauterization? CAN it do that? WHY did I start bleeding so heavy? Heck, WHAT DO I DO???

Any ideas or anything like that would be appreciated!

ty
FL/Crystal
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Bumping this up so it'll be more easily viewed in the hopes that someone can answer your question.

I had the silver nitrate cauterization, but had no problems afterward, and I had almost no bleeding at all even right after the surgery. He did the cauterization at 6 weeks, because of a spot that he said hadn't healed as well as it should. I can't imagine what happened that caused you to start bleeding like that, but I'm sure it must have been alarming. I can't offer much except a . I'm a little surprised they didn't want you to come in for an exam, but hopefully the meds will help with the problem.
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:40 PM

If you are getting provera it sounds like the bleeding is the endo shedding like it would at your cycle. Except it is shedding on the outside instead of inside your body. I think it had nothing to do with the silver nitrate except they may not have used enough and the rest of the endo they didn't burn off is now shedding. I hope you feel better. Please let us know how you are.
Janelle
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:54 PM

Thank you Wynter, ANY help in any capacity helps. I thought all that was over, that I could give away my pads & tampons. Now to see that I need the pads, I'm glad I haven't done it. In the same token, yes, I'm alarmed as can be to be bleeding like that again, not to mention frustrated.

My DH is also helping as much as he can. He told me when the cauterization happens, he'll be coming w/me, period. Also, I told him about needing the meds picked up from Walmart, & that I couldn't pick them up because I've taken pain meds. **We made a deal that I'm NOT allowed to drive if I take anything stronger than Ibuprofen.** He immediately said he'd be getting it. Also, he'd previously told me if there's things I need help with in the communication department on this stuff, tell him. Today I messaged him asking if it was ok that I be a couch potato & not do any chores. I also said having his ok would help me end the guilt that I failed him (I get worried & guilty that I should be doing stuff despite being in pain). So he absolved me of my guilt & worry, saying he wants me to rest anyway.

I also called my pain dr., asking for a refill on the Darvocet, cuz the Ultram was "decreasing but not easing" the pain I'm feeling. When the nurse called back, I told her why I'd asked. She said that they needed to get approval from my dr before calling it in, as my last visit we were trying to wean me off the pain meds (having been in pain for about 4+ years, my dr's & I have been working on this after the hyster). The nurse was confident that the refill would go thru ok, considering what happened last week & this one too. So she said she'd call w/the results.

I know I'm doing all the right steps, but not freaking out is still hard to do. All I know is, I want this OVER. No more pain, no more having to be an enforced couch potato cuz I hurt at least 1 day in a week, no more inability to have sex w/my husband cuz I hurt or am recovering from the newest problem. it also sux that I have recently found out that it'll effectively be 6 mos. before I'm truly healed. Frustration seems to be my middle name!
Unread 11-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Update

I went to the dr. on Monday this week & had an electronic cauterization. My DH went w/me & stayed in the regular treatment room & then the room where the procedure was done in office--his presence was SOOO steadying!

The dr said that my cervix was acting like it'd been irritated like I'd had a pap smear that was not finished healing. He did the cautaurizing & said that I need to watch it. If I start bleeding heavy again & having more pain, I'll have to go to the castle again & have my cervix amputated. I'm not holding much hope for this to work & figuring I'll do the castle-time in the near future. I guess I'm getting a bit fatalistic, but after all I've been thru over the last 4 years, hope is very slim.

I refuse to wear or use tampons, cuz I'm worried it'lljust add to the pain & problems, so I wear pads instead. I hate feeling like I'm wearing a diaper!
Unread 11-14-2007, 01:34 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that things have been so frustrating for you. When I had my hysterectomy, I just told him to go ahead and take the cervix too, but I know many women elect to keep theirs.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this procedure will solve your problem and that you won't have to endure any additional procedures.
Unread 11-14-2007, 02:22 PM
post-op spotting

Hi Ladies,

I am almost 60 days post LAVH and spotting. I spotted about 25 days ago as well.

I've been reading the various postings by other sisters regarding cervical cauterization, etc. I have spoken to the nurse in my GYN's office and she's waiting for the doctor to return from delivering a baby at the hospital to discuss the issue. The nurse did mention possible sluffing of the cervix during what would normally be my menstrual cycle. Does anyone know what this condition is called? Based on previous postings, it doesn't necessarily require a hospital stay to correct - yes? No?

Just this weekend I was beaming thinking about passing along boxes of tampons and pads to girlfriends who are still experiencing the joys of a period... Wishful thinking

Thanks for your input

09/17/07 - LAVH - kept ovaries and cervix
Unread 11-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Sk6

[quote=sk61]Hi Ladies,

I am almost 60 days post LAVH and spotting. I spotted about 25 days ago as well.

I've been reading the various postings by other sisters regarding cervical cauterization, etc. I have spoken to the nurse in my GYN's office and she's waiting for the doctor to return from delivering a baby at the hospital to discuss the issue. The nurse did mention possible sluffing of the cervix during what would normally be my menstrual cycle. Does anyone know what this condition is called? Based on previous postings, it doesn't necessarily require a hospital stay to correct - yes? No?

Just this weekend I was beaming thinking about passing along boxes of tampons and pads to girlfriends who are still experiencing the joys of a period... Wishful thinking

SK6,

From what you're describing, yes, the sloffing off of tissue from the cervix IS normal after a hyster. My dr. mentioned the same thing to me. He said it was part of the healing. I wish I knew what the "proper" term is, but you got the point across well enough for us here!

What you have to watch for is if it's a continuous flow that makes you have to wear a pad or tampon day after day cuz you're STEADILY bleeding--mine was not that strong, but it DID stain my undies if i didn't use a pad. I personally prefer the pads. I'm a little gun shy of using tampons cuz everything's healing up that way & tender. I talked to my dr after experiencing this for about 4 days & then had a day . My Dr. was able to do in-office procedure to cauterize the cervix. I had some endometrial tissue that he didn't see & remove during the original surgery. 1st he did a silver nitrate cauterization in the office. If I were you, make sure someone takes you to this appt, cuz it isn't something you'll comfortably drive home from (i did cuz I had no choice for reasons I don't want to go into here).

About 3 days later i had the steady flow again, & 2 more of gushing (heavy) bleeding (pad was needing changed about 2-3 times more than before), he had me come back & do an electronic cauterization. Again, have someone with you to take you there & home.

So far, I'm doing ok. My dr. has me only taking Tylenol because analgesic (Ibuprofen or pain pills) will not allow this 2nd cauterization to clot appropriately. I had to still wear pads for about 4-5 days & then it went away. The dr. still cautioned me that I may experience some further light bleeding cuz of healing from this 2nd procedure. Of course, if I gush again, I'm to call him. I also see him this coming Monday (the 26th) for a follow up on this.

I don't know if this answers all your questions, but I hope it gives you an idea of how to proceed if things don't improve for you.

All the best!
Unread 11-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Fairylite:

Thanks so much for your response! You answered my questions so well. I spoke to my doctor and she indicated the two procedures you had done as options for me. I see the doctor on the 29th for a consulation.

Thanks again and best of luck with your healing

Unread 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM

you too sk61! Keep me posted on YOUR progress too!
Hugs!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.