HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Premarin Vaginal Cream - help Premarin Vaginal Cream - help

Unread 11-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Premarin Vaginal Cream - help

Hi - I had my TVH (kept ovaries), A/P repair, sling on Oct. 29th - doc prescribed Premarin vaginal cream, but after reading the insert on all of the possible side effects, etc., I'm not so sure I want to use it - does everyone who has a hysterectomy use the Premarin vaginal cream even if they kept their ovaries? What good does it do? I would really love some advice and input about this!

Thanks much!

Sandy
Unread 11-08-2007, 01:24 PM

what was the reason he prescribed it? i kept my ovaries and i havent been offered any premarin cream.
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:29 PM

She said it helps with healing - I'm thinking I'll be just fine without it -

Thanks for replying - it helps to know that not everyone gets this cream!
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Hello slplante.........I had a TLH BSO on August 7 (3 months ago, can it be that long ?) I am 60 yrs old. I was prescribed Premarin Vaginal Cream to help with the vaginal cuff healing to be used for two weeks. I also did not like the long list of sdie effects. While using the cream I had very severe leg cramps, (Charlie Horse). They totally paralyzed my legs and were very painful. I complained to my doctor. all they said was that I must be low on potassium, eat bananas. I ate bananas every day but it didn't help. I read on the patient information for the Premarin that leg and muscle cramps was a side effect. Doctor doubted it. I was sure it was the cause. When the two weeks were up and I quit using it, the cramps went away. You can't convince me that the Premarin was not the cause of the leg cramps. However others use it regularly and do not have leg cramps. You will just have to use your own judgement. But there will be no more Premarin for me.
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Thanks ASeniorSister - Also, the estrogen patch they put on my abdomen right after surgery gave me a rash and itched terribly by about day four or five, so I took it off. I think my hormones are pretty much the same as they were before the surgery, so I don't see the point in using the cream. I don't believe for one minute that I won't heal well without it. I had talked to my sister and she said not to use the cream either - she said it gave her a rash, and has too many bad side effects. I took that estrogen patch off a week ago, and sometimes still that specific spot will itch - I'm thinking no Premarin cream for me!
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slplante
Hi - I had my TVH (kept ovaries), A/P repair, sling on Oct. 29th - doc prescribed Premarin vaginal cream, but after reading the insert on all of the possible side effects, etc., I'm not so sure I want to use it - does everyone who has a hysterectomy use the Premarin vaginal cream even if they kept their ovaries? What good does it do? I would really love some advice and input about this!

Thanks much!

Sandy
I was prescribed the premarin vaginal creme after my surgery...I was told to use it 3 times a week...just a little bit on my finger and rub it on the outside vulva area...I had had cystocele and rectocele repairs done and she told me this will help with the healing and also thicken the vaginal walls to help lessen the chance of mesh erosion and/or reprolapse as the walls will thicken up a little...also helps with dryness...I also kept my ovaries so it was not a matter of hormones but a preventative measure for the walls and repairs......since I use such a small amount I have not had any side effects...this is probably why your doc prescribed it for you to help in the wall healing as I see you also had repair work.....I can tell you that the one side effect that I have I am pleased with...it makes the skin down there feel smooth and bought back a more pinkish coloring.....also not sure if it is the creme or not but found I get the urge for sex a little more than I did before.....I always say when people are reading into the side effects...if you read any insert, even with aspirin, there is a long list of "possible" side effects to almost everything....this is to cover the manufactors butt, but most of the time, most people do not experience them......I know I would not take any of the 4 meds I have to take daily if I read the list of side effects...everyone is different, but I wanted to tell you a positive side to it....
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks Rita - That is nice to know - She wants me to insert 1/4 of an applicator at bedtime - I supposed I could try it out a couple of times per week and see what happens- I also had the cream for the outside - maybe I should consider it-

I know what you mean about reading the possible side effects - the list is sooo long with Premarin, though! I just don't want to screw up my hormones, ya know?

You've given me some food for thought - Thanks!

Sandy
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:07 PM

I am 46 and kept my ovaries....so far I have been using it for 10 weeks...usually every other day..sometimes I forget and just use it and try to go back to every other.....the insertation applicator came with it, but she just wants me to use it on the other lips and said it will make its way up anyway??...
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM

Well, what I'm thinking is I will use maybe even less than the 1/4 of the applicator, and maybe only two or three times per week, put a little on the outside, and see what happens. That might be better than the all or nothing approach, huh? I had a lot of procedures done, so maybe I could use a little more help healing the tissues. I'm just afraid to play around with Premarin, as I know it can be a real bugger. I think I'll try it out just a little and see how it goes - I can always stop it.
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slplante

Thanks much!

Sandy
I am 46 had everything taken out. I was precribed the cream at wk 4 because I had a very small fistula(bladder leaking into vigina) and urologist suggested it be use see if that would help heal that. I used an applicator full a day for 1 wk then twice week since then. I haven't had any side effects. And I am also using .05 vivelle dot patch too. I had a catheter for 3 wks and was taken out this last monday so far so good think the fistula did actually heal.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.