HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How painful is walking up and down stairs after TAH? How painful is walking up and down stairs after TAH?

Unread 11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
How painful is walking up and down stairs after TAH?

I am having a TAH on 11/12 (going in through an old C-Section Scar - from the belly button to the pubic bone). I live in a two-story home. All the bedrooms are upstairs. I am afraid that once I make it upstairs, I will have difficulty coming back down.

Should I plan on staying downstairs (on the sofa or in the recliner) for a couple of days. Or will it be tolerable for me to go up and down the stairs - Upstairs at night and downstairs during the day?

Thanks,
*Kelly*
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM

This is something I'm not looking forward to, either... but not because my home itself is on two levels. Our apartment is on the 2nd floor, only accessible by steep stairs.
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:09 PM

You'll be fine.

I'm in the same situation and I had the same concerns. I was able to do my stairs the first day I came home. I had the TAH, surgery Wednesday, came home Friday. I tend to spend most of the daytime hours downstairs in my livingroom. Bathroom is upstairs. I have been doing the stairs several times a day since I came home.

Just take it slow and make sure your lights are on. Definitely don't want any mis-steps!
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Hi Kelly-
I had absolutely no problem going up and down the stairs once a day post-op. (near TAH-still have cervix) It didn't cause me any pain. But that was it--only once a day. I had to go slowly and it was exhausting in the beginning, but like everything else it got better as the days went on. I did have a friend who could not do the stairs for a couple days post-op. I had the low horizontal bikini-line incision; she had the vertical incision like yours.

So, I would say be prepared either way and don't push yourself if you aren't up to it. (I was and am 43 years old.) The hardest part for me was getting out of bed.

Good Luck to you! :-)
maui_love
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM

I am 11/12/ TAH/BSO I don't know about the stairs yet, but have you found this week has sped up? The first of the week dragged for me and then all of a sudden it Thurs. already? Now I feel like I have no time before Monday will be here. I am ready but...not, are you? I want to be on the other side I am so tired of thinking about the what ifs. What time is yours mine is at 1:00 PM, I have to be at the castle at 11:00am. Ive never done anything this late in the day. I hope no one drops the crumbs from their sandwich on me. I know I am my doctor's only surgery that day. Good luck see you on the other side.
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Go up and down the stairs sideways, taking it slow and easy.

I don't recommend doing the stairs too often during the day. I live in an old house with steep and narrow steps.

I did the steps twice the first day and twice the second, after that I was I moving around a little more and found it easier.

I hope all goes well!
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Kellnette... You are so on!!! Sideways... holding on to the rail and carefully (keep taking slow breaths and take your time)... I have a late 1800's home too... steep stairs... but for some reason, sideways seemed painless.

We women are sooo resourceful!!!
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Kasey2

I go in at 11:30 and my surgery is at 1:30. I was afraid that the week would drag too slow, so I created a list of things to do. I'll never get it all done, but at least, I'll be too busy to fret over Monday. I'll be think of all my 11/12 sister and I wish you well.
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:56 PM

TAH/BSO on 10/11, I could do stairs 2-3 times/day from the very beginning, but I still try to minimize the trips. Do each stair by placing each foot on each stair, and sideways does help. Another trick I learned from a family member who had foot surgery, 'up with the good', 'down with the bad'. Which means that if you have one side worse than the other, lead going up/down with the feet as above. I don't know why it works, but it does.
Unread 11-09-2007, 01:13 PM

I had a tah on 11/01 and came home on 11/04 my house is also a two levels with the bedrooms upstairs. My dr. said I could go up and down only two or three times a day and to take it slowly. I have been ok to do it. Just be carefull if you take the heavy-duty narcatics. You might be light headed or dizzy.
Good luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.