HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Help with rectocele Help with rectocele

Unread 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Help with rectocele

Hi! I have a rectocele that I have dealt with for years. It has not protruded from my vagina . . . yet. It is close to that, though. My diet has changed somewhat (not smoking right now) and I eat more sugar-free candy since I'm not smoking. Just found out that sugar-free candy ingredients can cause flatulence. I have a horrible, horrible case of flatulence. I also have soft stools, but do not feel as if I always "finish" when I go to the bathroom. Soft stools are new to me, but I've always been constipated and go usually about every three days. Is all of this normal with a rectocele? What suggestions do you have? I read to try the Kegel exercise to help with it, but it seems that that exercise "hurts" the bulge. Does that make sense?
Unread 11-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Help with rectocele

It makes lots of sense. In between repairs I saw a physical therapist that specialized in Pelvic Floor Therapy. She advised me to perform my Kegels lying down because gravity was working against me when I tried doing them sitting up and had more pain following the Kegels. Remember that the rectocele is the lower bowel protruding through the vaginal floor muscles that have weakened and given way. It's like trying to pull the elevator up with string instead of wire cables, a lot more work!
Constipation can cause more problems with a rectocele. The straining can cause the bulge to worsen. Why not call your Dr for an appointment so the prolapse can be checked and you can discuss your options. It's possible the Dr could suggest using Miralax to help with your constipation issues. Maybe you can suggest a referral to PT while you weigh your options.
Michelle
Unread 11-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Help with rectocele

Hi SisTurn, i am presently recovering from a rectocele repair that i had last Tuesday, 11/20. And like you, i had the bulge, and it wasn't protruding out of my vagina yet. But it was very close to it, and some days there was such a heavyness feeling down there, that it drove me nuts.
My main reason for going for the repair was that about a year ago, i started having a lot of trouble emptying my bowel. The stool would come out so far, and just hang there. I would pull out what i could and just wait for the rest to eventually come out. What i found to be a lifesaver for me, was religiously taking Metamucil once or sometimes twice a day, and at first i would also take 1 tablet of dulcolax stool softener. But once i kept to my routine, i was able to go with just the metamucil. It really was great for me.
I finally went for the repair after meeting another lady who had also had the repair 9 years ago. And has had no trouble since, the repair was a great success for her. You hear of so many woman who have had unsuccessful ones, but after talking to her and seeing how she said she was back to her pre-rectocele self, i decided to try her surgeon, liked him very much, and went for it.
The recovery so far has been tough, but hopefully it will have been worth it. I hope i have helped you a bit. I know when this first started happening to me, i didn't know what the heck was going on, and i saw a couple of doctors that just told me that this bulge happened to all women after giving birth. This website is priceless for information.
Tara
Unread 11-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Help with rectocele

To CANDYAPPLELADY, i just wanted to say that your posts have been the most helpful. Had you not posted about your experience with mesh, that is the exact operation my gynecologist would have done on me. A Prolift Mesh Rectocele posterior repair. And i wouldn't have had a clue as whether it was the best option or even the only option. And when i went back armed with my info and questions, she said she never heard of any problems with the mesh, and nearly fell off the chair when i gave her copies of the FDA website info i gave her on the counterfeit mesh that some doctors had either knowingly or unknowingly used on women. With further prodding she admitted i would be the 1st patient she had done this surgery on. I am only 40 and theres a lot of years of living left and i'd like to live them as pain free and comfortably as possible!
In the end, i went to a colo-rectal surgeon. He had never even heard of using the mesh for rectocele repair. I wonder if it is more used by gynie doctors. He used my own skin for the graph.
Like i said, it has been a tough week so far, but not unbearable. Having a poo is tough. But i think i have a fissure that is acting up, as sometimes its not too bad. Whereas last night was very hard doing one.
Anyway, i just wanted to thank you for all the information you have shared. And i am sorry you have had such a hard time. I dont know yet how well my operation has gone. I guess i wont know that for a while yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

All the Best,
Tara
Unread 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Help with rectocele

Tara, Thank you so much. You have explained just what I need to know!!!! God bless you, girl! You and Michelle are the best. I"ve been having a fit today and tonight, not being able to "go." I'm headed to the kitchen now for a bit of that powder fiber. I pray that you heal very nicely, Tara. And you are right about what my doctor said . . . happens after giving birth (as in no big deal), but it's not his "poo" that keeps hanging in there, huh? Thank you, Tara. Thank you, Michelle.
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Help with rectocele

I am so glad to have been able to help somebody suffering from this thing. I know when it first started happening to me, i thought i was going crazy.

Unfortunitely, since the surgery, my poos are once again hanging in mid air! My rectum is so sore and still healing, so i have to take stool softeners, and a laxative. Its like the poo is so soft it cant get out or something. And the muscle that should be squeezing it out aint workin! I am at my wits end.

But you stick with the metamucil. I was at the point with taking the metamucil that I was like clockwork, which i never in my life was regarding bowel movements. I sometimes didn;t go for 3 days at a time, but it never bothered me. Until my dreaded rectocele appeared. The metamucil for me was like magic. I really just got the surgery to get rid of the bulge in my vagina, and the heavy feeling i would get down there. I'm really hoping now that i did the right thing. These surgeries dont always work, and i'm so afraid of being worse off than what i was. Oh well, only time will tell i guess.

Hopefully, you wont need the stool softener at all after a while.

Take Care,
Tara
Unread 11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Help with rectocele

After all this time I still use stool softeners daily. Since they're safe to use on a daily basis I don't worry about using them. I also try to get in a fiber rich diet and plenty of fluids.
I still have trouble with my pelvic floor muscles feeling weak and being unable to push out the stool as well as pre surgery. I'm sure that's why PT and the Drs push doing Kegels to gain muscle tone. Be sure to wait for medical clearance to start Kegels if you have had recent surgery!
Michelle

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.