HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Underwear/clothes irritation abdominal incision Underwear/clothes irritation abdominal incision

Unread 07-13-2001, 07:00 PM
Underwear/clothes irritation abdominal incision

Hi Ladies! I'm 8 days post-op from a TAH and am having a hard time with my underwear and clothes rubbing on my incision and irritating it. Not to mention the shaved hair growing back!

My underwear and clothes are very loose fitting (I don't wear jeans), but about 4:00 in the afternoon I have to change back into my jammies and have even removed my undies because of the icky feeling!

I'm also experiencing some insomnia the past few nights. I feel tired, but when I get into bed I either can't get comfortable or suddenly feel wide awake! I've had occasional bouts of insomnia in the past 10 years and I've found the best thing for me is to not fight it and I will eventually get back into my normal sleeping rhythm. By the way, I kept both of my ovaries, so I'm not sure if this could be hormonal or not. I'm a little worried that I will jeopardize my recovery by not getting enough sleep.

If any of you have suggestions, I would be ever so grateful for your advice and what has worked for you.

Thanks!

Connie
TAH - 7/5/01
Unread 07-13-2001, 07:21 PM

Connie...
I have opted for loose fitting dresses, and when I am home alone, I go without underclothes. I found that when I get dressed, I sanitary napkin or clean white washcloth over the incision helps. I have a long, vertical incision.
I too am suffering from lack of sleep. I did well the first couple weeks post-op, now I struggle with going to sleep. When I finally get to sleep, I wake at 1:10am to go to the bathroom and have troubles going back to sleep. I am drinking lots of water, so I can see the wake-up call, but ???? the going back to sleep. I did have both my ovaries removed and started the Climara patch at 2 weeks, after I started experiencing hot flashes. My Dr does not think these things are related. Perhaps it is we are so used to being busy pre-op that are bodies are adjusting the the difference in work routines.
I do usally get an hour nap about mid-day...
what a circle???!
best of luck to you.
Coleen
TAH BSO 6/18/2001
Unread 07-13-2001, 07:36 PM

Hi!

At 8 days post op, I think I was in my jammies or the equivalent ALL the time, not just after 4 pm!!

I agree, if you are feeling irritated and sore, maybe try a loose fitting dress with no undies for around the house, if you feel you need to get dressed!

Something I was told: if you get dressed and look normal, soon everyone expects you to ACT normal. I'd stay in my jammies awhile longer if I were you!!

The insomnia may be hormonal...sometimes our ovaries take a little vacation after surgery. It may also be the stress of everything you've been through. As long as you are getting alot of resting with feet UP during the day, you won't compromise your recovery. If it continues, please speak to your doctor about it...s/he might have some ideas for you. Maybe try something herbal before bed, like chamomile tea or calms forte...that works for me sometimes.

Remember you are VERY early in your recovery, so be very gentle with yourself!!!

Karen
Unread 07-13-2001, 07:52 PM

Hi Connie,
I'm about 2 weeks post op and right about day 10 is when I starting feeling everything rubbing against my incision. It was very annoying! I just wore a long nightshirt and went without undies. But even with that, the nightshirt bothered me as it brushed against my incision. I guess that passes though, because as of today it doesn't seem to bother me anymore.....but I'm still lounging around in my nightshirt or robe!

I too wake up several times a night, from a hot flash or to go to the bathroom. I can't seem to get comfortable anymore either. I toss and turn, then I go on the couch to get a change. I'll start my HRT on Monday and hopefully it will help the hot flashes...and maybe the insomnia.
Unread 07-14-2001, 07:05 AM
hotflashes and no sleep

:caution: When I came out of surgery I was put on a .05 climara patch, took both ovaries. When I came home I still had hotflashes usually at night. I couldn't sleep either. I called the she put me on .1 climara patch and the went away. Sometimes I still have trouble sleeping but consider it is just part of the resting process. Hormones she told me was hard to get settled so it wouldn't be unusual to have some of these memopause symptoms. Hope this helps.

Women are World Wonders

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.