HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can progesterone cause headaches? Can progesterone cause headaches?

Unread 11-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Can progesterone cause headaches?

I've just started with progesterone cream 5 days ago. Since day 2 I've had a homone like headache. I truely believe the progesterone is helping me sleep. Last night is the first time I didn't take anything extra to help me sleep. I'm very chemically senitive and maybe it's too strong for me and I need to cut it back a bit. Has anyone had headaches from too much progestrone? Thanks for any thoughts. Kathy
Unread 11-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Well, I have taken progesterone in pill and cream form before my hyst and after, and I have never had a headache from it. I get tired draggy and moody if it is too much for me. Hormones can be different with people, so it might give you a headache and not someone else. The only way you will know is to back off of it and see.

I hope you find out what is causing your headache so you can get relief.

s
Unread 11-20-2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks SuzyQ, I appreciate your thoughts. I think I will try to lessen it just a bit. I've had more headaches since surgery then in my whole life. I will say I'm much sleepier since starting the progestrone, I just woke up from an 2 hour nap. I haven't had a nap like that since before surgery. My headache is seems to be better at the moment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again, Kathy
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Hi Hummingbird,
I read a book by Dr. Uzzi Reiss (I think I spelled it correctly), and although I had been using progesterone cream (which is what I suggested to you), in his book he talked about the capsules helping more with water retention, etc. So, I tried the capsules (that I had since my surgery), and lo and behold (after 3 evenings), I, too, have a headache!
This is the first headache in almost six weeks! Ughh. Now, could it be the weather (it warmed up and became springlike over the past two days), but I am also "sleepier" during the day and just draggy, so...I think I'll go back to cream tonight and see.
To make a long story and little shorter, I think maybe it can give us headaches -- ughhh....
Keep me updated and I'll do the same.
Take care!
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Hi Klgm,

That is interesting about the capsules. I'm so drug senitive that maybe the regular dose is just a bit too much for me. I took a 2 hour nap today and haven't done that since before surgery without meds. helping me. I think the progestrone cream is pretty potent. I may cut back to a 1/8 or 1/6 of a tsp. My 3 day headache went away for a brief time today but is back a bit tonight. Not as bad as before. I haven't been retaining any water at all so that is a good thing. The headache you are having could be the weather. Our weather has been the same. It's pretty nice in the 70's. Houston is hot in the winter too. Although for Thanksgiving it's supposed to drop in the 50's very cold for here.

I'll let you know what happens when I lessen the dose a bit. Keep us posted on how you are doing. I hope you headache goes away too.

Blessing,
Kathy
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgm
Hi Hummingbird,
I read a book by Dr. Uzzi Reiss (I think I spelled it correctly), and although I had been using progesterone cream (which is what I suggested to you), in his book he talked about the capsules helping more with water retention, etc. So, I tried the capsules (that I had since my surgery), and lo and behold (after 3 evenings), I, too, have a headache!
This is the first headache in almost six weeks! Ughh. Now, could it be the weather (it warmed up and became springlike over the past two days), but I am also "sleepier" during the day and just draggy, so...I think I'll go back to cream tonight and see.
To make a long story and little shorter, I think maybe it can give us headaches -- ughhh....
Keep me updated and I'll do the same.
Take care!
Klgm, I have cut back to 1/8 tsp. I think the prog. cream itself works as a diurectic for me. I pee all the time even at night now. I think the headaches were from me getting a bit dehyrdrated. I get headaches when I'm dehyrdrated. Anyway, I'm drinking a lot more and I've cut to the 1/8 tsp. and the headaches have gone. Even at the smaller dose it's still working as a diurectic. I get up 2 to 3 times at night and pee. It does relax me enough that I go back to sleep. I'm not taking anything extra to help me sleep now. So all in all it's been a real blessing to use the prog. I just have to make sure I drink enough. I feel a lot more balanced and relaxed. I hope your headaches have passed. Do you think the pills are too stronge and caused your headaches? I'm so chemically senitive that the otc cream has a huge effect on me. I hope you are doing well. Kathy
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Hi Kathy,
I went back to the cream, but I have had a headache all week. (Have one right now). However, I haven't been drinking my water. I'm good about that while working (drink about 4 cups on my drive in the a.m. and then fill up at school and drink throughout the day. However, I'm on vacation for Thanksgiving and haven't been as faithful. You have given me a great idea (duh!) I think I'll go "fill up" now. This headache is killing me (and I haven't had one in over six weeks -- since I pulled the Vivelle Dot off!)
Thanks for the info. I don't know about the diuretic effect (I go all the time anyway... but I had read that and was taking it for that reason as well.
I'll let you know how the extra water does.
Thanks
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:42 AM

klgm, I so sorry you got a headache still. I had mine for a full 4 days. I hope the extra water helps. The lower dose helped me as well. Let me know how it goes. Headaches are horrible. They put a damper on everything. Hang in there. Kathy
Unread 11-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Hummingbird -- Ok, I owe you a big thank you at this point. I started drinking water after reading your post. And,.....the headache is gone!!! (Don't know for how long, but...)
Thanks so much. I love this site!
Unread 11-23-2007, 02:36 PM

klgm,

I'm so happy the water helped and your headache is gone. Mine hasn't come back either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I sleep so much better on the prog. cream too. It's great that we could help each other. This site is so wonderful. I'm so glad everyone is here. Have a great evening.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.