HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Taste Buds/Sense of Smell Way Off Following Surgery Taste Buds/Sense of Smell Way Off Following Surgery

Unread 11-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Taste Buds/Sense of Smell Way Off Following Surgery

Newby here. I had a hysterectomy on 10/19. Ever since then, my taste buds and sense of smell have been WAY, WAY off. Nothing tastes right. I am wondering if anyone else out there is dealing with this and how long does it last. Is it due to the anesthesia used in surgery? My tongue was extremely dry and felt shriveled immediately following surgery, and that's when it began. I mentioned it to my doctor, but he didn't seem to think too much of it.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but I just want to enjoy my food.

Thanks, all.
Ms. Rose
Unread 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM

After two further trips back to the hospital following my TVH on the 15th of October, I have no appetite and nothing tastes good. I have to force myself to eat because of the hugely powerful antibiotics I'm on from the abscess, but that's the only reason I'm eating at all.... that and to build up my health again.

I was told by my surgeon that since I was in the hospital for the better part of a month, I could count on three times that amount of time before my appetite, sense of taste, sense of smell, and even my sense of well-being return. So three months for me -- maybe a month for you then?

I'll hope for you, at any rate!
Dina
Unread 11-21-2007, 01:52 PM

I had a similar thing happen. I laid in all sorts of favorite foods before surgery -- grapefruit and orange juice, yogurt, soups, frozen foods, etc. All I wanted when I got home from the hospital was peanut butter toast and jam! I wouldn't eat ice cream, and forget about scrambled eggs or bacon. Even my beloved coffee didn't taste good to me -- and you're talking to someone who believes that coffee is worth the price of gold.

In my case, it was indeed a combination of the anesthesia and the antibiotics which caused my sense of taste (and smell, for that matter) to be out of whack for a few weeks after surgery. The tastebuds came back gradually over the course of a few weeks.

If it continues to bother you, however -- you should get it checked out. You should also check it out if it gets any worse.

Hope this helps.
Unread 11-21-2007, 05:35 PM

I had the exact same problem. I was craving so many things when I got home from the hospital. Pizza, chinese, mexican food and then when my DH came home with dinner every night I barely ate any of it because none of it tasted right. It was awful because I wanted to enjoy the foods and I couldnt.

I am now 2 weeks post op and I feel like everything is tasting better. Its not perfectly the same, but its getting there. The doctor said it takes time but she thinks its due partially to the anesthesia and mainly to the shock your whole body goes into with this type of surgery. Its not just the lower 1/2 of your body!
Unread 11-22-2007, 01:25 AM

I had the same problem..but for me everything tasted salty... I had to eat very bland foods..

It was because of something they give me to drink just before they took me in..It was to help with coughing after wards..(it stopped the lungs from producing mucus)... So when I woke up my mouth was very dry..and stayed that way for over two weeks..But it does get better...
Unread 11-22-2007, 05:53 AM

Ms Rose:
I have the same problem; my TAH was on Oct 18th, and nothing tastes the same. Additionall, I joke about "I wonder did they do a weight loss, stomach procedure", because I can't eat the same amout of food. For that, I'm grateful, as I am quite overweight, and losing weight was an issue I'd been battling with. I'm 5+ weeks postop, and I've lost almost 30lbs. I've been eating healthier since the surgery; having a #2 in the bathroom is uncomfortable. So, I kinda lost my desire to eat as much. With the saga of pain meds & stool softeners, it became a real job going to the bathroom. I also had to include Metamucil in my diet, to ease the pressure. But, besides all that, my tastebuds are not the same. I loved coffee, and now, don't like it. A lot of the foods I eat prior to surgery, I don't desire anymore. My mouth remains very "cottony"; dry mouth all the time. I drink more water now than ever in my life, so it seems to be a change for the better. So.....my sister.....you're not alone! Personally, I think it's due to the anesthesia, and the intravenous medicines we received in our hospital stay. So, I'm grasping the changes and developing new eating habits. I hope my change in appetite continues, to aid in my weight loss. But, it's not the same with changed tastebuds Good luck to you!
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:08 AM

I had a TAH on Oct 9th and my taste buds are still alittle off. They were really bad for about 3 weeks after but they are getting better these days. I don't know if it's from all the meds they have you on but it was hard to eat when the food or drink just didn't taste like it was suppose to.
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Rose
Newby here. I had a hysterectomy on 10/19. Ever since then, my taste buds and sense of smell have been WAY, WAY off. Nothing tastes right. I am wondering if anyone else out there is dealing with this and how long does it last. Is it due to the anesthesia used in surgery? My tongue was extremely dry and felt shriveled immediately following surgery, and that's when it began. I mentioned it to my doctor, but he didn't seem to think too much of it.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but I just want to enjoy my food.

Thanks, all.
Ms. Rose
Everything tasted bland to me for the first few weeks. Wasn't really interested in eating anyway because I had pain digesting my food. The wierdest one for me was that my morning coffee tasted awful - couldn't drink coffee at all - and this is normally the best part of my day, can't start without it. After two weeks my tastebuds were back to normal though. My doc said it was likely from anesthetic as well.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.