HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

After surgery can you climb stairs? After surgery can you climb stairs?

Unread 07-15-2001, 08:04 AM
After surgery can you climb stairs?

Hi everyone,

My surgery is on 7/23 and I am getting the house clean and in order, but did not think about where I was going to sleep. Downstairs I have a couch and a couchbed. I was wondering if anyone climbed stairs after surgery. My doctor appointment is not until the 7/19. Thanks so much and take care, Karen
Unread 07-15-2001, 08:36 AM

Hi! I had my hyst on 6/20 and I suggest you get the couch bed ready! My doctor said NO stairs for the first week and then to just go up and down once a day for the next 2 weeks! I am now at 3 weeks and I still try not going up the stairs more than once a day. Every doctor is different though and yours might say something different. Take care and take it slow after surgery it really does help recovery!!
Unread 07-15-2001, 09:12 AM
You can do the stairs -- in moderation

Hi Lite!

I had a TAH on 7/5/01 and came home on 7/7/01. We have a 3 level home and our bedrooms are on the upper level. My doctor said I could do the stairs -- in moderation. So at first I went up/down one step at a time very slowly. It's good exercise for your legs, but be careful. Needless to say, once I got on a level, I pretty much stayed there for a long time, so I tried to be either all the way up or down because that's where the bathrooms are!

I guess my best advice is to listen to your body and take it very easy at first until you get your strength back. At 10 days post-op I'm doing pretty well on the stairs, but still taking them slowly and always hold on to the railing for support and safety.

Good luck!

Connie
Unread 07-15-2001, 11:46 AM
Climbing stairs, thank you

Hi,

Thanks so much for your posts. I am cleaning and organizing today so your answers helps me out alot. I am going to put a queen size airmatress on the couchbed to make it more comfortable. Thanks again, and take care, Karen
Unread 07-15-2001, 11:58 AM
Stairs

I had a TAH on June 27. I had no restrictions on the stairs and I used them the first day home. I can say that I flew up those stairs like they were nothing, theeennnnn, the pain medication wore off and the stairs were not quite so easy. The stairs do help with the gas, I think, so be wise and things carefully. JP
Unread 07-15-2001, 01:51 PM
2nd floor apt stairs

I had TAH/BSO 7 weeks ago and had to use stairs to get to my apt 3 days post op (no elevator). I had a young male friend help me get home - just in case I needed a boost <--didn't need one but one never knows how one feels until you try...

I did buy a metal sectional cane (comes folded up in a plastic case and has a bungee cord inside that connects it together). I used it to get leverage out of bed/futon and to get up/down the stairs and out of cars. I live by myself and found having a cane to be very helpful when I didn't want to use my abdominals to move (cost about $20.00 and got it at a local Walmart).
Unread 07-15-2001, 02:03 PM

Hi,

My bedroom is on the 2nd floor and I was given no restrictions on using them. I was able to use them without any discomfort.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.