HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Post Operative Rectocele Recovery Post Operative Rectocele Recovery

Unread 11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Post Operative Rectocele Recovery

I am 10 days post op after having a rectocele repair, done through the anus. My number one reason for having the surgery was due to not being able to totally empty my bowel. The stool would just come out so far, and hang there in mid air until i assisted it. (Sorry if this is TMI) but i am desperate for help here.
I realise its only 10 days since the op, but i am suffering still from exactly the same thing. I am taking a stool softener, milk of mag laxative, and metamucil. Prior to this op i would be able to go no problem, once i had taken metamucil once or twice the previous day. I didn't need anything else. I am so afraid this op hasn't worked at all. Hopefully i'm jumping the gun here. My doc doesn't seemed too concerned, but i cant help being a little bit worried. I also realise i'm very swollen and sore in that part, but you would think since the stool is so soft, it should just come right out. Has anybody had this happen to them, and did it get better with time?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.
Tara
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:05 PM

Tara--

I had 'rear repairs' including an attempted anal repair this past February. They were definitely NOT fun. At 10 days, you are most likely still VERY swollen in the perineal area. Many, Many people do not have much of a decrease in swelling in that area for several months. I know I had more problems afterward than I did before in some ways. It got better at about 6 months. I think all the swelling was gone at that point and didn't seem to be returning.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that your swelling will continue to decrease and you will feel better ASAP....
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:19 PM

Hi OrahDeb,

I am just wondering about your phrasing of "an attempted anal repair". Did yours not work? And when you said you had more problems afterwards than before, what kinds of problems were they?

I was so on the fence about having this surgery at all. I just wanted to be able to go to the bathroom again without having to take all kinds of stool softeners, and fiber laxatives. Also the bulge in my vagina was almost coming outside of me.

What you say about the swelling really does make sense. I also feel really swollen in the front also. Its like carrying around a lead weight. I picked this doctor because a neighbor of mine had her rectum basically rebuilt by this doctor 8 years ago. And she said she feels as good as new even still. She also had a baby a year or so after her surgery, (c-section) and all held well.

I hope you dont mind my questions, but i will be meeting with him next Wednesday and i would like to be able to ask him specific questions. He said i should be feeling much better in the next 2 weeks. But he also made the surgery sound a lot less painful than what i am experiencing. He said that doing the procedure rectally was less painful than vaginally.

Thanks also for your good wishes.

Tara
Unread 12-01-2007, 12:58 PM

My UroGYN did my repairs vaginally. What I had done was removal of old mesh that was placed for a cystocele repair in 6/05 and that kept eroding. At the same time, I had a rectocele repair done with posterior colporrhaphy. He tried to repair the anal sphincter but could not find the ends of the muscle and thus he pulled the fascia closer together to give me more 'tone' in that area. It made my problems of bowel control--TMI, I know--worse for several months afterwards. That got much better right at the 6 month mark. I had already seen a colorectal surgeon for another opinion because I seriously could NOT live with it as it was at about 3 months post-op. The problem was just awful.

I don't see how doing a procedure rectally would be less painful than vaginally? It sounds like it would be similar to hemorrhoid surgery which I've heard can be quite painful--but I'm sure everyone experiences pain differently. Anyway, the rear/posterior repair does seem to cause rather more discomfort than anterior or other repairs in many women (at least from reading about here that seems to be the case).

My UroGYN prescribed epifoam for topical pain relief and it helped. I also had some hemorrhoidal prescription strength creams here at home that I used that seemed to help a little esp. at first.

I do hope you find the help and relief you need and that you are able to ask all the right questions of your Dr. that you need to ask....
Unread 12-01-2007, 04:21 PM

I also dont see how a procedure can be less painful rectally as opposed to vaginally. But i guess we go to these doctors for help and good sound advice, and when they tell us something, we have to believe they know what they're talking about. It seems to me no 2 doctors seem to give the same advice when dealing with rectoceles, cystoceles, etc. We just have to hope we researched our procedures as thoroughly as we can and that we picked the best doctor for the job.

I had originally went to my gynecologist for my problem. She wanted to do a prolift mesh rectocele posterior repair. But after reading a few of the horror stories on this sight, i questioned her. And i wasn't very happy with her answers. I would have been the first patient she had performed this surgery on, by herself. She said she would also have another very experienced surgeon with her while operating. She was speechless when i showed her a printout from the FDA website on the counterfeit mesh that had been used on women during this operation. And also all the woman that had such bad reactions to the mesh. I would have thought that she would have at least heard something about that. I just wasn't comfortable with her. So, i checked out other doctors and found out about the one that i did finally use.

I was comfortable with this Dr, and also liked the fact that he wasn't going to use mesh, but a skin graph, taken from my own body. I can only hope for the best outcome at this point.

I cant imagine what you must have gone through with all the different surgeries that you have had. I have just had this one, and its been quite difficult for me. Your posts are great, and so informative. I am going to write down every little question that comes to mind and i will not leave that office until i am satisfied with the answers. I actually thought myself that hemorrhoidal cream my help with this discomfort. Thank you again for all your great posts. They are a great help.
Unread 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM

This is my first post, so I hope I communicate what's going on with me. I'm hoping for great support from this group.

I had a complete hyst in 93 with no problems or complications. I'm two weeks post-op for A&P repair with bladder suspension (aka sling). I'm feeling much better than just last week, but my energy level is still pretty low. I've gotten out of the house on my own for the past few days, but I don't last very long. My first post-op visit is on Monday when I'll find out when I can return to work as a high school librarian.

Here's my problem: I never had any issues with "leakage" before surgery. The reason for the bladder suspension was stress incontinence. I'm not having any discharge or other problems vaginally or otherwise, but I'm leaking urine. I'm able to "go" pretty well by myself, but I'm using the self-cath (straw) once a day. Obviously, this will be a major topic of conversation with my dr on Monday, but I wanted to ask how any of you girls dealt with it.

TIA for any advice you guys have. I've learned a lot by reading this forum recently.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.