HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

7cm fibroid - how big is that? 7cm fibroid - how big is that?

Unread 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
7cm fibroid - how big is that?

Hi sisters!

I have a 7cm fibroid. I've been reading for days (you guys are the best at helping other women going thru this!) but I haven't really seen a lot about the size of fibroids.

Call it a morbid curiosity but I'm wondering if it is an average, large, or small size as compared to others. The doc says it is big enough to worry about (hence the partial hyster- keeping the ovaries and cervix on Dec 27th) but he didn't really get into how big it really was in the big scheme of things.

So girls, lets hear your "my fibroid was this big" stories!
Unread 12-05-2007, 04:52 AM

That is about the size of a tennis ball. Mine was the size of a bowling ball was what he said. But the path report describes something more the size of a football. Pressed on the bladder and kidneys causing me lots of urinary tract problems.

Good luck

CS
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:50 AM

I didn't have one big fibroid, I had lots and lots of little ones (they weren't counted). You could feel my uterus up by my belly button.

Just out of curiosity, if it is one fibroid, did your doctor discuss any options with you?

s,
Kay
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM

I had one that was 7.5 cm inside the uterus, and another smaller (like 3 cm?) on the outside of the uterus. It was the one inside that gave me all the trouble.

Very glad to have it gone!

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM

I have one 8cm, one 4 cm, and 2 ea about 1 cm that was as of a year ago. At that time he could not feel my uterus through my stomach. Two weeks ago he said he could feel it. The 8 cm is close to my cervix in the wall of the uterus, so I guess they are either growng or I was real swollen during the exam.

Theresa
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:51 AM
answer to question above.

Thanks Ladies! To answer the question above, the doctor did discuss other options. I also got a 2nd opionion from my primary doc. Both docs discussed just removing the fibroid but it was really close to my ovary so they couldn't tell me that I wouldn't lose the ovaries. They also discussed the shrinking of the fib but I didn't like that one for various reasons. I think they mentioned something else but there was so much info, I forget now. The options didn't sound right for me. I don't want to get pregnant, I'm sick of the very heavy period (it is getting worse and worse), I'm adopted at birth so I don't have any medical history, and the pain is....a pain. But what finally pushed me to it was that it was a possibility that if the other options didn't work, I could lose my ovaries. I didn't want to lose my ovaries because I'm only 42. Another reason (not a good one I admit) is that on Jan 1st, my company is going from a HMO to a co-insurance. If I have to do the surgery in a year or so, it will cost me A LOT more money.

Some of the pros the doc discussed is that if I get rid of the fib, it may help my sex drive and my blood sugar control. I'm pre-diabetic and have a low sex drive. He said that the fib is "eating" my estrogen (If I understood him correctly). Once the fib is gone then my estrogen may go back to normal. I didn't quite follow the blood sugar reasoning but I verified that it wouldn't make it worse. My sugars are pretty much in control (A1C = 5.4) so that wasn't really a factor to make my decision.

Thanks for asking. If you have anything to add, please feel free to reply back. I'm always interested in learning.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway