HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

When Can Drive When Can Drive

Unread 12-13-2007, 12:20 PM
When Can Drive

My doctor didn't mention driving when I was discharged - although I think we talked about it before and she said at least 4 weeks.

I just left a message with my dr as to whether it would be okay to drive once off pain meds. The advice nurse I spoke with said they generally don't want you driving until your 6 wk appt (Jan 10th). I can't wait that long. I'll go crazy (er). Am relying on my son and friends to take me places and I really would like to go back to work part-time the last week of December.

What is your experience around the driving issue?

Thanks -

Mariah
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
When Can Drive

Upon discharge from the hospital, my doctor told me no driving for at least two weeks. I see him on Monday for my two week post - op appointment. Hopefully I'll be released to drive then, but I'll let you know.
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:32 PM
When Can Drive

I was told I could drive at two weeks, but I actually didn't feel well enough until about 4 wks. The problem is, once you get where your going, your too tired to do much! Just take care of yourself and rest as much as possible. The weeks really do go by pretty fast. Good luck!!
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
When Can Drive

I am one month 9 days post op and I am off my pain meds. I am driving, but I have found that my incision that is open in 4 different parts is still tender. When I stop or turn a corner, I tend to get alot of infection out. So much so that it seeps through my bandage and onto my clothes. So, for now I have stopped driving. I am letting my husband drive.
I am fortuante in that I don't have to go back to work until after the new year. I have given myself plenty of time to rest and heal.

Remember this is major surgery. Driving uses your groin muscles. Take your time going back doing your regular activities. Be good to yourself. It helps everyone out in the long run.

Blessing all around this holiday season!
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM
When Can Drive

I was also told not to drive for at least two weeks, so I'm waiting for my 2 week appointment before I take any chances.
Unread 12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
When Can Drive

Three weeks for me. I'm now 6 wks and it still hurts when I have to back up out of the driveway or to park on the street. Be carefull. Also getting in and out of the car wears you out.
Unread 12-13-2007, 02:11 PM
When Can Drive

My Dr. told me I could drive at 4days, as long as I was off the pain meds. However, I didn't attempt to drive until 2 weeks and then it was for only a short distance. I am now 6 weeks post-op and I am driving everywhere. I am not uncomfortable, but then I don't have a big incision, that would make all the difference.

Barri
Unread 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM
When Can Drive

I was told that I could drive after 2 weeks. I also was told that I could not go back to work until the doctor cleared me at my 4 week post op appt.
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:05 PM
When Can Drive

I have driven since a week out but was off meds 2nd night after reacting to the percoset so was only taking extra strenght tylonol.
I really haven't had much pain. I didn't drive far just to town 10 minutes.
I waited 2 weeks for driving to city.
Unread 12-13-2007, 05:20 PM
When Can Drive

I was told no driving for 2-3 weeks. I did drive at about 3-1/2 weeks and in retrospect, I think I really should have waited.

Here's why: Many patients underestimate how fatigued they get for weeks after surgery. The bone-tired feeling can come on you at any moment -- I know it did for me.

Of course, all patients heal at different rates. Before you try driving, take 15 minutes and sit in your car. Really pay attention, like you're driving. Turn around several times to look behind you. Put on the seat belt. Hit the brakes several times.

If you "pass" your test, you might be ready for a short drive -- but don't try the first one alone.

Hope this helps.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.