HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

pelvic pain after radiation? pelvic pain after radiation?

Unread 12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
pelvic pain after radiation?

I was just wondering if anyone experienced pelvic pain after or soon after radiation. I feel like one of those old dogs that has hip problems (best way I can describe it). I am only 34 but feel like I am 94. Will this pass? I called my radiation onc and described the pain. Feels like soreness in the hip and pelvic area and discomfort in the groin. When I sit for more than a minute at a time, getting up and moving about hurts, kinda like the day after a really hard workout. There is also soreness in the muscles down my inner thighs and lower back. Is this normal? I made an appt. to see him next week. If I was a year out, I would be freaking out about this but it has only been less than 2 months since the end of chemo and rad and he told me it would be too early for a recurrance. WHAT?! I don't even wanna HEAR that word. Anyway, just wondering if anyone had similar hip/pelvic pain after radiation. I just don't know what he is going to be able to tell me from a simple pelvic exam. By the way, my ovaries were moved before radiation and are, I assume, still working according to the blood test they did back in October. I have heard of women suffering from hip and joint pain(or bone loss) after radiation due to loss of estrogen from ovaries being radiated but I don't think that is the case with me. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:13 PM
I had it too

Hi Sharona,
I had stiffness in my pelvic area after radiation. It felt more like a muscular stiffness, and was mainly in my inner top thigh area, right next to my groin.
I had trouble getting comfortable when I slept because I couldn't get into my normal sleeping position without it hurting. I also had trouble sitting for any period of time. It hurt in my buttock area, and was hard to tell if it was bone or muscular.(I think it was muscular.)
I started back at the gym walking on the treadmill 2-3 times a week. I think all that stretching helped tremendously. I can now sit for long periods of time, and might get a tinge of discomfort, but it is nothing like it was before.
And the tightness in my thigh/groin area is all but gone. I don't know if it would have resolved on its own with time, or if the walking helped.
Anyway, I'm not bothered anymore with this...and I'm betting you won't be after awhile either.
BTW, it's been about 4 1/2 months since my treatment ended.
Blessings to you!
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:18 PM

Thank you soooo much sunflash. It's great to know that this will probably resolve on it's own. I too have the same stiffness in the thighs and the buttock area, especially if I sit for awhile. I am actually going to buy a new treadmill tomorrow so I hope it helps. It's also hard for me to tell if it's bone or muscular, I'll see what the Dr. says too.

Wishing you continued good health and thanks again for the uplifting message.
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:57 AM

I am almost 4 months past rads. I too have found it uncomfortable to sit for lengthy periods of time. At my last gyn/onc check-up on 12/4/07 he saw slight irritation and said its was from the rads. There are times when I feel soreness in my butt and thigh area, but it does not last for long and I find walking has helped. Every day I try to get out for a walk but for the past few days I have not been able to get out due to the ice and snow and I feel it a bit more. But I did notice it was nothing like before. We do have a treadmill and I must remember to use it when I can't get out! Thanks for reminding me sunflash! Good health to all!
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:36 AM

I had really bad pain after rads. They even did a bone scan which showed a hot spot, so I had to have a bone biopsy. It was only inflamation from radiation. My Gyn/Onc sent me to an Ortho doc. I had hariline fractures in my sacrum and something wrong with another bone in there. I wish I had kept notes. There was a fine balance between sitting too much and doing too much. Either one caused me problems.

I am almost five years out and it has gotten much better. However, I still have some mild discomfort if I sit too much. If I walk or stand too much, my hip seems tired and achy.

Walking is probably a great idea. Yoga is also really great. The radiation causes the tissue to get hard and tight. Yoga or stretching can really help that.

Things do get better.

Take care,
Sharon
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Sharona, I'm really glad you brought this topic up. I was going to myself after I hear from my bone scan. My discomfort is in the low back-upper hip area. My CAT scan says it's a stress fracture of the left sacral ala. I had a bone scan Monday, haven't heard anything from that.

I'm just wondering Sharon 913, did the ortho dr. give you any kind of exercises or treatment for yours?

I had no idea that radiation could fracture a bone but considering the alternative, I would still have done it. I've been cancer-free for over 16 months.

Hope your pain goes away soon.

Blessings to all,
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Hi Cricket,

I was not allowed to do very much that involved weight bearing. I can't remember exactly how long it was. Probably a couple of months before I was cleared for any real exercise.

He did not give me anything special to do. I just had to be careful and give it time to heal.

Sorry, that I have such a bad memory.

Congratulations on the 16 months cancer free!!!!!

Sharon
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Hi ladies,
I was just wondering if anyone had swelling in the groin as well. I know there was another thread regarding this but I'm just not sure if this also happens to many other women. I don't have leg swelling but my groin is quite swollen and tender and don't know if I should be concerned. I guess this is a commen occurrance and should just "deal". Anyone else with this?, and, it's nice to know I am not alone in the pelvic pain dept.
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Sharona,
I never had this, but didn't have surgery either. Just chemo and radiation (just!)
Anyway, hope someone else can help you out with this!
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:53 AM

I too have/had bone soreness since radiation and chemo. Most of my soreness is in the hips and legs. I noticed the bones in my lower legs (shin area) hurt from time-to-time. It has eased a bit over time, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm getting further out from treatments or because I started exercising.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.