HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Help! Vaginal abrasion as a result of thinning vagina! Help! Vaginal abrasion as a result of thinning vagina!

Unread 12-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Help! Vaginal abrasion as a result of thinning vagina!

Ladies, I forgot to use my Estrace vaginal cream this week (only hrt I use) and had sex a couple of days ago. I noticed some soreness yesterday, and when I felt it again today, I examined myself with a mirror and saw what looks like a burn mark, maybe half-inch square alongside inner lips. How long will this take to heal? Should I see the doctor? Should I avoid intercourse altogether until the abrasion is completely healed? This will be the last time I go without the cream altogether. I see now that I definitely need it, even if it's just 2-3 times a week as the doctor had recommended. Please help.
Unread 01-01-2008, 03:00 AM

Hi Marisol I would talk with your DR and see if you might benefit from using the cream more often, perhaps daily, at least until the abrasion is healed. Your DR may want you to refrain from intercourse until it heals, but you won't know unless you ask.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks for answering Linda! Saw the doctor yesterday.....after I first noticed the abrasion I used the Estrace vaginal cream every night and definitely refrained from intercourse, so when the doctor examined me yesterday he said all was well and attributed the problem to vaginal atrophy (I think he used another term) but said that I presently didn't have the atrophy and won't have the atrophy for as long as I use the cream (but I knew that! But forgot!)
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:49 AM

OK -have to ask - Marisol52 - did your Dr put you on Estrace right after your surgery or did you wait a little while. So far my surgeon didn't feel I needed to go on anything (am still healing "in there") but would like to know if this is something I should consider doing soon. Am not taking any HRT right now - luckily no hot flashes or nights sweats (yet). Thanks,
Tracy
TAH/BSO
Unread 01-05-2008, 01:24 PM

Hi Tracy! Nope, the doctor had wanted me to wake up with a patch right after surgery and I refused it; he didn't fight me about it thank God because that would have angered me! I know so many doctors love to literally PUSH hrt on women without telling them about ALL the repercussions. I didn't/don't want HRT unless I absolutely need it. If you read Dr. Susan Love's "Menopause and Hormone Book" you'll see why. Although of course hers is just one view out of many--but one that makes perfect sense to me.

My story is as follows: about 6-8 weeks following surgery, I think it was my first attempt at intercourse with my husband, I realized that I was abnormally dry in my vagina, plus it almost felt like my vagina had shrunk!!! EEKS!!!! (very scary), so I called the doctor right away, he called in a prescription for the Estrace cream, and I was fine ever since--until I forgot to use the cream recently! If I use it 2-3 times a week now, I'm fine, at the very beginning you have to use it every night for I think a month or so. My hot flashes have been few and light from the very beginning so I don't need estrogen for that--I'd rather a little discomfort than having to deal with the side effects (both short and long-term) of hrt. I might benefit from some testosterone for my libido (which was shot prior to the surgery anyway) but the more I read about it and other hrt the less interested I become. However, hrt does work for some women, at least in the short run. I don't think anyone really knows what the long-term side effects are for any drug, so if I can avoid a drug, I do.

Good luck to you!
Unread 01-05-2008, 01:30 PM

Thanks for your reply, Marisol52! So many answers and good advice - I got gift certificates for books so I may just spend some of it on Dr. Susan's book!
Again, your input is greatly appreciated!!
Tracy
Unread 01-05-2008, 01:56 PM

You are quite welcome Tracy! But again, Dr. Love's is ONE opinion....there are lots of great books out there and it would only be fair to you and to your health to read as much as possible (some books are in the library, others you can buy used at amazon.com, including Dr. Love's--and make sure you get the latest edition of Dr. Love's book) so that you can make the best decision for yourself and your future! And of course, if you bought nothing at all, hystersisters.com is a tremendous source of information, and support, for you as well! Happy reading!
Unread 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM
extreme vagina pain

I had my surgery oct 22. I haven't been on any form on hormones. I had a bladder scope, ct scan and mri to show that I have no damage. Could my severe pain be from no estrogen. I started vagifem almost 2 weeks ago. I use lidocaine for the pain and take percocets. Sitting in a chair at work is impossible. The pain is unbearable. My surgeon can't figure this out. Going to a woman gyn next week. I just want to know when this pain will go away. I also have very bad hot and cold flashes. Sleeping is impossible. I can't sleep on my back,since sleeping on my side makes the pressure and pain worse. Any suggestions. Thanks.
Unread 01-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
had my surgery oct 22. I haven't been on any form on hormones. I had a bladder scope, ct scan and mri to show that I have no damage. Could my severe pain be from no estrogen. I started vagifem almost 2 weeks ago. I use lidocaine for the pain and take percocets. Sitting in a chair at work is impossible. The pain is unbearable. My surgeon can't figure this out. Going to a woman gyn next week. I just want to know when this pain will go away. I also have very bad hot and cold flashes. Sleeping is impossible. I can't sleep on my back,since sleeping on my side makes the pressure and pain worse. Any suggestions. Thanks.
tired, sounds to me like you can definitely use that second opinion, sooner rather than later!--if it were me I'd go to the ER right now with all you are describing! Severe pain? Percoset two months after surgery? "Unbearable" pain when sitting??? I'm not a doctor, but no, I don't think that your severe pain is simply due to the lack of estrogen. And although we all have different bodies that heal differently and at different paces, your situation sounds unusually difficult. I am so sorry you are going through all this, and I hope you get the help you need soon...maybe some other hystersisters will see your post here and have had similar experiences and have a better idea of what's going on and be able to advise you better than I can.

As for the hot flashes, please look up the "vitamin cocktail" recipe here on hystersisters (use the search button on the upper right). Ground flaxseed and occasional vitamin e supplements worked for me, as does making sure that I adjust the room temperature as often as I need to, whether I'm at work or at home. A fan is on in my bedroom all night for my light flashes. Should you perhaps consider additional or different hrt? I also very strongly recommend you ask your doctor about using some sleep aid until you see the next doctor, whether it's prescribed or over-the-counter. I totally believe that my recovery was as smooth as it was because I made sure I slept well before, during and way after recovery, even if it meant using an OTC sleep aid (which I still use--I have chronic insomnia). Inadequate sleep definitely can hinder the healing process, both physically and mentally.

A big to you, I hope you feel better very soon. Please keep us posted as to what happens next.
Unread 01-07-2008, 10:50 AM
re:help! vaginal abrasion

I have been to the er on several occasions. Get told to see my reg gyn to see why I am in this condition. Each exam shows no problem to be seen. The problem seems to be internally with the vagina area. I tried to dot patch when I first got home and the headache and diarhea made me quit after 1 week. I was told by a nurse practioner that I only needed the patch the take care of the night sweats and hot flashes. No one has ever said to me that my vagina could end up with such pain. I have seen on the internet that a lack of estrogen can cause such vagina pain. So since oct I haven't had anything in my body. Maybe I am praying it will take a little more time to get with it. Like I said sitting in a chair is very painful. It stings and then a sharp pain radiates from on top to my pelvic bone area. It really is hard to explain sometimes. I just know it is getting me down and it I want some relief soon. Thanks for the advice.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.