HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Real Recovery Time - LAVH vs. C-section Real Recovery Time - LAVH vs. C-section

Unread 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Real Recovery Time - LAVH vs. C-section

I am scheduled to have an LAVH in which EVERYTHING is going to be removed.

My doctor says I can go back to work as an office floor nurse after one week. Is that realistic?

Can anyone who's had an LAVH and C-section tell me what the comparison is? I recovered fairly quickly after my C-section. Only 4 days after surgery, I was riding from OK to IN and walking the outlet malls, visiting family, etc.

Also, what is the pain like? I've been warned by my doctor colleagues that I will be sore "down there". Sore as post vaginal delivery sore? or worse?

My husband is military and we are moving only 2 weeks after surgery. I'm trying to pack as much this week as I can, but I know there will be more to do....

Any advice on what to expect post op would be great!
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM

HI,
I am having a different type of surgery TAH/BSO and I can say that the doctor told me to be ready for 6-8 week recovery. I have had 3 c-sections and after a few days was able to do many things and I think it will be the same except I have read a lot of post where the women just got plain tired and exhausted. I was told for the first week no lifting over 5lbs and for the following 2-4 weeks nothing over 15lbs. My daughter weights 32lbs so this should be fun. I am not sure what your surgery entitles but mine is pretty brutal I think. I am having surgery in 5 days and I am really getting scared, dam the whole crying thing is coming back. Good luck
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM

I had a c-section in 00 and a LAVH on Dec. 19th. I can say from my experience that it took me longer with the c-section. I moved 600 miles on day 6 after the c-section. I am trying really hard to take it easy with the LAVH. I have aching around my pubic bones and soreness around my hip areas on each side. I was expecting much worse pain. It is so true what I have read here so many times..........the waiting is the worst.
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM

One week before returning to work seems unrealisic to me. There are forums set up in the Post-op section, one for each week of recovery. I've been reading the posts left by women who had their hysters the same week as mine, and there is no comparison with the recoveries. Some women recover quickly, some take much longer, and seems to not matter if it was LAVH or TAH.
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:11 PM

I had my LAVH on Dec. 11 and will be returning to work on Jan.7. I dont know if I am quite ready, but I am going to give it a try. Just remember to take it slow. Everyone heals at a different pace. The first week is the hardest, and each week gets a little better. I still get very tired by the end of the day, and my stomach still gets swollen. I definetly can tell when I have done to much. Just listen to your body. Wear comfortable waisted pajamas, and have a tummy pillow for riding in the car, and laying on your sides in bed. Also remember to eat high fiber foods to help you with easier BM's! Follow the advice of your Dr. and trust your judgement. You will do great!

Good luck, I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:41 PM

I have had C-sections and just had a TAH, not an LAVH, but my recovery was fairly uneventful. There is no way that I think you can go back to such a physical job in a week...you'll likely still be on painkillers. My doctor doesn't even clear people to drive until two weeks, no matter what type of hyst they had. And moving too? That's a recipe for disaster if I ever heard one. I really, strongly encourage you to not return to work until after you've moved, and to get all the help you can with moving...you should not be lifting anything!
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM

Unspoken Angel,

I cannot imagine that you could resume your job after 1 week. I had a LAVH, BSO Dec. 4 and am returning to work on the 7th and I feel ready for this. I am 39 years old and in great shape. I am usually an Energizer Bunny. One week post op I went shopping for about 6 hours and then had to spend 2 days in bed recovering!

Do as much packing as you can now. Bending and lifting will not be easy or good for you post op.
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM

I had a LAVH/BSO Nov. 1 and I know I could not have gone back to work in one week. I was not any pain meds. except at night at that time, but being on my feet for any length of time was tough and I still get VERY tired and a swollen belly when I do too much. My recovery was uneventful, but I guess we all are differemt. Just please listen to your body, if it doesn't feel it can work then DON'T !!! As you no doubt have read or will many times, you only have one time to heal right.

Good Luck,
Barri
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:59 PM

No way is one week enough. I had an LAVH on the 17th (and a c-section almost 6 years ago) & although I feel great, I have been taking it easy. My c-section recovery was much longer than my LAVH but I had a 2 year old I was chasing after then too. Anyway, my doctors orders are 4-6 weeks before returning to my normal days work. I think a second opinion would be in your best interest.

Good luck,
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondraider
HI,
I am having a different type of surgery TAH/BSO and I can say that the doctor told me to be ready for 6-8 week recovery. I have had 3 c-sections and after a few days was able to do many things and I think it will be the same except I have read a lot of post where the women just got plain tired and exhausted. I was told for the first week no lifting over 5lbs and for the following 2-4 weeks nothing over 15lbs. My daughter weights 32lbs so this should be fun. I am not sure what your surgery entitles but mine is pretty brutal I think. I am having surgery in 5 days and I am really getting scared, dam the whole crying thing is coming back. Good luck
Yeah, I'm getting nervous as it gets closer. Like you, I have a little one running around who I know is over 20 pounds. I find out tomorrow at his 1 year well child how much he really weighs.

I think alot of my concerns lie with the fact that my husband is being a real jerk about everything. He's known about the surgery and I've told him that he is most likely going to have to be here that first week to help with the baby and if he can't then he needs to make child care arrangements....but we can only use 20 hours for that week since we took DS out of full time care. We also have to move and while the military will send packers someone has to watch those packers to make sure they aren't stealing stuff and trying to pack up the trash can and dirty dishes....because they will. There's also a lot of things we need to pack ourselves that the moving company won't and while I've been doing what I can all week he hasn't been much help and we're running out of time!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway