HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Post-op skin irritation Post-op skin irritation

Unread 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Post-op skin irritation

Anyone having trouble with skin after surgery? I'm terribly broken out, not just on my face. I'm used to quite clear skin, so the breakouts are driving me nuts. I'm wondering if this is hormonal (even though I still have one ovary). I forgot to ask the doc yesterday...

I also have what seems to be a rash where the steri strips were, but the doctor said that was not abnormal...nothing but time for help (and airing out, etc.)

MJ
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Post-op skin irritation

Hi

I broke out all over my forehead and in a "band" around my chest/back. Today, I'm three months post op and I'm still experiencing some trouble. I'm not due to see my doc soon, but my sister-in-law is an RN and she feels its probably my body clearing out anesthesia, medications, etc.
I'm tending to agree with her.

G.
Unread 01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Post-op skin irritation

I broke out too! Totally sucked! I had my guy go buy me some clearasil stuff that I haven't used since I was a teenager. One of my friends came over and we did mud masks, don't know if it helped, but we had fun a few glasses of wine!
Unread 01-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Post-op skin irritation

Me too!! I was terribly hormonal and crying for two days then iIwoke up happy and had a zit!! Then I got another one and I never get them. Ugh. I have been puuting my teenagers zit cream on it and it hasn't budged!!

Stupid poopy zits!!!

OK - now I feel slightly better

Starbgirl
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Post-op skin irritation

Heehee...I suppose this isn't the most significant of concerns, is it? But I see my frustration is shared.

Ugh. I'm used to the occasional (usually PMS-related) zit that comes and goes, but my breakout has been severe. Lots of pimples all over my face AND my chest and back. I've never suffered from body acne before, so this is especially frustrating.

This evening seems to have proven a relief. Usually by this time I'm dealing with fresh bumps, but things are settling down. I hope it continues. I'm sick of looking like a hormonal kid!

Stupid poopy zits INDEED!
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Post-op skin irritation

I broke out all my life (I'm 44). Since this hysterectomy, I've been totally cleared up.

Just think of all the money I would have saved in face creams and maxi pads if I had this done years ago? Darn it!
Unread 01-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Post-op skin irritation

I read sometimes low Progesterone hormone can cause your skin NOT to shed properly... this can clog up pores and low estrogen can cause a break outs. I get confused!!! My first break out was so bad, it was all over my forehead about 20 or more!! I FREAKED!! I usually got a monthly zit before. But I have started to do a nice facial scrub to help my skin shed... anyone else?
Unread 01-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Post-op skin irritation

In regards to the steri strips, I had that. The nurse told me that there is small amounts of fibre glass in them and some people are sensitive to that....
Unread 01-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Post-op skin irritation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC1976
I also have what seems to be a rash where the steri strips were, but the doctor said that was not abnormal...nothing but time for help (and airing out, etc.)

MJ
My skin was very irritated from the steri strips and bandages. I was just 'airing' but at my 2 wk post-op appt, the doctor noticed it immediately and told me to apply cortisone cream. DH picked some up and instant relief!!!
Unread 01-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Post-op skin irritation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy36
My skin was very irritated from the steri strips and bandages. I was just 'airing' but at my 2 wk post-op appt, the doctor noticed it immediately and told my to apply cortisone cream. DH picked some up and instant relief!!!

THank you thank you thank you. Last night I took a couple of Benadryl to ease it, and though it was a LOVELY sleep, I'd prefer something topical. I guess I'll be making a drug store run today!

MJ

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.