HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

No bowel movements 4 days post op No bowel movements 4 days post op

Unread 01-06-2008, 12:48 PM
No bowel movements 4 days post op

I had my TVH including removal of the cervix on Thursday 1/3/08 and I have not had a bowel movement yet and I am having a lot of stomach pain and my stomach is making all kinds of noises.

I have had gas but not very much, at least not for me. I have IBS and I am on meds for that condition. With my IBS I usually have a lot of gas and diarrhea but near constipation.

So I am really not sure what is normal bowel movements, since I usually go every time I eat anything.

My husband went and got me some stool softeners last night and I took 2 at 9 pm, no help yet. I suggested he get me a salad, because I can not tolerate salad and it always makes me go to the bathroom. He does not think this is a good idea because he is worried if my bowels are messed up in some way I will just be in more pain.

Anyway, he wants me to return to the doctor on Monday ( in the morning) if I have not went to the bathroom yet.

Any suggestions, ideas, help? Please!!

Thank you!
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Bowels can be slow to get moving after surgery. I would continue with the stool softeners, Miralax and Colace seem to work best. Drink lots of water, and some juices that start with the letter "p" such as prune, pear, pineapple, peach, or papaya, as they also have a laxative effect. Lastly, take short walks around the house or out to the end of your driveway as often as you can tollerate but don't overdo it. I didn't have a bowel movement until the end of day six. I had lots of gas, and Gas-X really helped with that. I wouldn't do anything to upset your IBS just to have a movement. It wouldn't hurt to give the doctor a call tomorrow if you haven't had one by then, just to see what he/she suggests. Let us know how you make out. Good luck to you!

Unread 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM

Thank you so much, I think I will call him in the morning and see what he has to say.
Unread 01-06-2008, 02:37 PM

It definitely takes the bowels awhile to settle into a normal routine after surgery, and you're only a few days post-op. I was like you - before surgery, I had tons of problems with diarrhea. I would run to the bathroom every time I ate, and it got to the point where I was afraid to eat out.

What I've found since surgery (I'm almost 5 mo post-op), is that the problems I had before are thankfully gone. It took me awhile to "get going" again, and even now, I tend to get constipated if I'm not careful.

I've been using Benefiber daily, and it's awesome. I just put it in my oatmeal or coffee... no taste, and it dissolves completely without thickening your food or beverage. I also try to eat fruit everyday, and high fiber snacks like Kashi bars. Activia yogurt is another helpful food.

Without a doubt, give your doc a call this week, though, and see if he can give you something to help get you started. I imagine you're feeling pretty miserable after a few days. Let us know how everything goes.
Unread 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Sounds a lot like what I went through. I also have IBS and (due to nerves) I had a major bowel movement the morning of my surgery but then nothing for a week. I also had very little gas issues. I probably went about once a week for the first two weeks, then everything caught up on the third week! Once I hit the third week I was going every day, sometimes twice a day, for about five days! Now I'm back on a normal schedule. It just takes time.
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:37 PM

4 days post op is not too long. You don't want to take anything that will irritate your IBS. I would stick with the stool softners and prune juice. I made the mistake of taking Dulcolax on day 5 and suffered dearly for over 24hrs.. Remember that you fast prior to surgery and then you have a liquid diet. You probably have not eaten too much solids @ 4 days, and your bowels go to sleep too. Give it time.

Unread 01-06-2008, 06:45 PM

hi, I was 4 days post-op before having a BM. It was on Sunday, so didn't call my doc. My DH held my hand in the bathroom. Apparently, this is common for a hyst. Prunes, Metamucil ... whatever is OK wiht your IBS.
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM

It took me 6 days. Colace is your friend.
Best wishes!!
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM

It was 7 days for me and it was total agony! It was the contracting of the stomach muscles that was excruciating! Don't worry too much but you may want to consider having an ice pack for your belly ready when you do feel the urge to go poop. You may need it after.

Pam
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:39 PM

My Dr. had me on miralax from day one and it took me five days to have a bowel movement. Thank God it didn't hurt!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.