HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

endometrial cancer/surgery/recovery endometrial cancer/surgery/recovery

Unread 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM
endometrial cancer/surgery/recovery

Hi, I am in the healing stage from a complete hysterectomy deemed absolutely necessary due to endometrial cancer. They got it all but are requiring me to have a few radiation treatments just to be sure. I start my first radiation on Wed. My surgery was 11/27. I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with the bowel problems. I have to go back to work on tuesday and my bowels are still not right. Staying home was much more condusive to dealing with my issues. I don't know how I'm going to manage at work and noone seems to understand my apprehension about going back to work. I don't feel 100% but at work I'll need to perform 100%.

Due to my cancer and surgery I can't go back on hormones and I am going absolutely out of my mind with the hot flashes (then the freezing chills) and the night sweats. Anyone have any suggestions?
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:23 PM

Hi Redred,

I hope your recovery continues to go well and that your radiation is easy on you but ruthless on those cancer cells.

going back to work is an issue, isn't it? Can you sit down during the day? Can you get your feet up? Don't do too much bending/stretching, and remember to drink lots of fluids.

Can you go back to work Part-time until you feel more ready to perform 100%?

As for the hotflashes, dressing in layers was a big help to me. Have you looked into the "Chillow" sold on the HS store?

Good luck, in there,
xoxo
k9
Unread 01-07-2008, 04:09 AM

Hi Redred 1952

I am also recovering from a TAH for endometrial cancer. I have just been told it is a Stage 2 cancer and not a stage 1. I have to go for internal radiation treatment back to hospital for 2/3 days.

Has anyone experience of this as it is really worrying me. Another general anastethic and catheter etc. when I feel I am just getting my body back.

Best wishes to you all

Percyvera
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:16 AM

Sorry to hear of your dx. I was dx after surgery on June 13, 2007, for endo cancer well hidden behind fibroid, low grade 1. I was shocked to hear this at my dr visit because right after surgery while on the table path report showed all OK. It wasn't until a few days later the final path report came back that showed my dx. You could have picked up off the floor during that visit. I had to have 25 external rads for precautionay measure and I too felt like you, just when my body was starting to feel great. Midway thru rads I had the bathroom issue and had to be on the BRAT diet which after awhile did not work. But, thank God today I feel OK but at times I still experience the bathroom issue but that is starting to become not as often. I did not have to do internal rads so I cannot comment on that. My last visit and pap test came back normal..... Want to send you a big HUG and just want you to know that all will be OK. During my tough times the sisters on this boards told me that in time all that I went through would only be memory and they were and are right. Each day is getting better and better. Remember, take care of yourself and when you don't feel great, stop and rest even at work. If you need to take time off, take the time. This has worked for me and is still working. I know it is hard to do while you are going through this now, but keep good thoughts and remember this will pass and you will be yourself again. This is just a bump in the road! Sending you good vibs and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers !
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:24 AM

Thank you for your kind thoughts Stephanie. I am pleased that everything is going OK for you now.
Unread 01-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyvera
Hi Redred 1952

I am also recovering from a TAH for endometrial cancer. I have just been told it is a Stage 2 cancer and not a stage 1. I have to go for internal radiation treatment back to hospital for 2/3 days.

Has anyone experience of this as it is really worrying me. Another general anastethic and catheter etc. when I feel I am just getting my body back.

Best wishes to you all

Percyvera
Hi, my radiation is internal also but as an outpatient drs. visit. No catheter or anything. Where are you going for yours?
Unread 01-07-2008, 10:15 AM

I have been told that I shall have to be in hospital (I am in England) for 2 - 3 days. The internal rods will be in for 12 hours.
Unread 01-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Types of internal radiation

Hi,

There is more than one kind of internal radiation (also known as brachytherapy). The one I had was outpatient and was called HDR or high-dose (rate) radiation. It was 3 doses each a week apart. It was a little uncomfortable, but not a hard procedure. This kind is very focused to minimize damage to other nearby organs.

There is one kind of low-dose radiation that is administered in the hospital. I believe a few of the Hyster Sisters have had this kind. There is also an adjuvant treatment called IMRT, intensity-modulated radiation therapy, which is also used to treat endometrial carcinoma.

You can find discussions here by entering those keywords in the search box.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions--there are plenty here who have undergone various radiation treatments--they will differ based on the specific diagnosis.

Unread 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Hi

I just finished my 16th out of 25 external radiation treatments and I will be doing 3 internal radiation treatments as an outpatient. The only issues I have with the treatments are bladder pressure and an occasional bout with diarreah. I got some meds for the bladder pressure but I do not think it is helping so when I saw to the doctor this morning he told me to stop that medicine and gave me another med for a yeast infection, I guess when it rains it pours. I also get tired but try not to nap during the day or I won't sleep at night. I asked today how the internal treatments will effect me and was told they have less side effects then the externals so now I am just waiting to see what happens.

I am also on HRT, my gyn/oncologist said it is crazy not to take them, he started me with Premarin .3 and then upped it to .625, the night sweats & hot flashes are gone but I still get emotional at times, I can handle that if its the only thing I am dealing with. Ask your doctor again if he/she will give you something, you shouldn't have to suffer.

Good Luck
Unread 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM
radiation

Hi,thanks for the info. It sounds like I'm having the same kind of radiation treatment as you had Murky. Three internal treatments spaced 1 week apart. Did you have any side effects after each treatment. Anything I should expect?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.