HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Lupron Depot/Fibroids Lupron Depot/Fibroids

Unread 01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Lupron Depot/Fibroids

Hi, I am new to this web site and need some help. I have been dealing with large fibroids and ALL of the terrible symptoms for years now. I am almost 50. My Dr. and I agreed about 6 months ago that a hysterectomy is the right decision for me now. However in December, she suggested we try the Lupron/Depot shot to reduce the size of my fibroids and uterus. This shot is primarily used for endometriosis. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't really want to have surgery, but don't want to just postpone the inevitable either. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Lupron Depot/Fibroids

rpd0617

I had the once monthly Lupron shot for 3 months before my hysterectomy. It is commonly used to shrink fibroids and, in my case, managed to shrink an enormous fibroid by two-thirds! My surgeon wanted me to have the shots to make the surgery "safer".

The drug has a very high success rate in shrinking fibroids but it will only be a temporary "fix" if your ovaries are still producing estrogen after it's stopped. I understand that it's only usually recommended for a maximum of 6 months due to the danger of bone-loss ~ although there are always exceptions. My surgeon wanted me in for surgery reasonably quickly after the last shot since he was concerned the fibroid would start growing again.

If I'd been 10 years older (I was 41 at the time of surgery) I may have considered waiting for the fibroid to shrink naturally on its own with the menopause. But, in that respect, I felt I was too young at the time.

It is a very difficult decision and you'll need to weigh up all the pros and cons with your medical provider, and decide what's best for **you**.

Sending you all good wishes for your research and wherever it takes you.

Unread 01-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Lupron Depot/Fibroids

Hi Rpd0617,

I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a LSH, a less invasive hyst. Lupron does cause temporary chemical menopause..and therefore helps to shrink fibroids. In my case lupron was a success. I would do lupron again in a second to get the hyst results I have now.

Lupron also helps to stop periods..therefore it helps to bring the blood count and it helps to prevent anemia.

My fibroids did shrink on lupron which also helped to make me physically more comfortable before my hyst. I had terrific pelivc pressure from my fibroids before I started lupron...and that went away after I started the shots.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Lupron Depot/Fibroids

I took a few months of lupron shots before my myomectomy about 11 years ago. They wanted to shrink the fibroids as much as possible before surgery because of the loss of blood that ocurs. I had really terrible emotional reacations to the sudden and immediate menopause that it threw me into. I was happy and totally up one hour then completely depressed the next.

Taking the shotsis something to consider before surgery to shrink the fibroids but it is not a solution since once you stop the shots, the fibroids repspond back to the estrogen.

After my experience with the emotional ups and downs I did not even discuss it before for my TAH this May.
Unread 01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Also did Lupron/TLH with success!

I did 3 months of Lupron with the progesterone add-back therapy, and it shrunk my 19-week-pregnancy-size fibroid enough to get a TLH. I'm very happy with the results. By the way, I was horribly anemic before the Lupron, and I was back up to normal by the time of surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.