HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How to know if you have adhesions vs. ovarian cyst? How to know if you have adhesions vs. ovarian cyst?

Unread 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
How to know if you have adhesions vs. ovarian cyst?

I am just over 6 months post op. I had a SAH and my dr. left my cervix due to the fact that it was adhered to my bladder from 3 previous C-sections. I have had tenderness that seemed to get a little better for a while and now is getting worse by the day. I have tenderness around my belly button and also have a lot of pain near my right ovary(this is the most painful area.) How do you know if you have adhesions or if it could be an ovarian cyst?
Would love any insight!!!
Unread 01-09-2008, 12:56 AM

Hi Well, adhesions can really only be diagnosed via lap; none of the conventional diagnostic tests can see them.

Ovarian cysts can often be seen in an ultrasound... have you had that done yet? What does your DR say about the pain?

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:38 AM

Dear Hope,

I Feel Your Pain! I Had A Lavh In 2005 And I've Had Pain Ever Since. I Had Surgery In 2006 To Remove An Ovarian Cyst And Adhesions And Just Had Surgery Again To Remove 2 Ovarian Cyst And Adhesions. I'm Not Really Sure Which One Is Causing All Of The Pain But, I Have The Same Pain You Describe. One Week After I Had The Surgery I'm In Pain Again. The Doctor Told Me It Could Be Either The Adhesions Adherring To The Pelvic Wall Again Or The Cyst Could Be Returning. The Left Ovary Is The Only One I Have Left And I'm Ready To Get Rid Of It!

Good Luck!

Ajc
Unread 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Dear Ajc,

I had an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and it showed a simple cyst on my left ovary and a 5.0 x 5.1 cm complex cyst that appears to have hemorrhaged within itself on my right ovary. But my dr. acts like it is no big deal and doesnt even feel l need a follow up ultrasound or anything. And that makes me feel like I have no validation to complain or that my pain is something else. But from the description of everyone else on here with cysts or adhesion they all complain about the same pain. I have constant pain in my right flank, I also have pain that comes and goes in my right pelvic area and burns into my hip very bad at times and down and even down my right thigh at times. I am just getting a little frustrated and tired of not feeling good. I am not normally a complainer and have a high pain tolerance but very tired of not feeling good.

You have been through a lot and to not being feeling well also must be aggrevating. good luck to you also!!
Unread 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Dear Hope,

One symptom I have with the cyst that I'm not sure you are having is frequent urination. The doctors always want to blame it on my bladder and I've also had test on it that came out fine.

I'm like you normally, I'm not one to complain however, when this goes on for years and you cannot get relief it is depressing.

I go back to the doctor on Thursday, so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for letting me vent.

AJC
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:31 PM

That is kind of how all this started for me. I went from the bladder spasms after surgery to frequency and burning. I did have a UTI for a while that did not want to go away and thats what I thought was still causing all my pain. But when that cleared up and I still had pain thats when I knew something else was going on. I do have frequency too. I also sometimes have rectal pressure feeling like I have to go that way too all the time. And it is strange because the symptoms vary at times. I really do think it is related to the ovarian cysts though because it is worse when I should have my period and again when I am ovulating. My dr. just makes it all seem like it is no big deal and should just go away. I do like him but I have to say his pre-op concern is much greater than post op. I am going to talk to my pcp when I go back in a couple weeks. Also do you ever get a burning pain in your hip and groin? Just venting back. Thanks.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:44 PM

hopeforpeace,
It may be helpful to keep a journal of your pain and symptoms. A journal may help to pinpoint if it's cylical. As you retained your ovaries it is possible to still have symptoms during your cycle, just as if you were getting a period.

If you are not happy with what your doctor has told you, I say get a second opinion! Cysts can and do cause pain issues.

Unread 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Dear Hope,

I also have pain in my hip and groin, it hurts when I walk sometimes in the groin area. My Dr. didn't think it was much to my cyst at first because he put me on birth control pills thinking they would get rid of it. When that didn't work is when he decided to do surgery. The 2nd time the cyst came back he put me on a progesterone therapy hoping that would stop the cyst however, it was still there and that is when he decided to take it out again.

Feel free to ask me any ?'s you may come up with, I'm sure it has happened to me. I think the doctors sometimes think you just want pain meds, but all I want is relief.

AJC
Unread 02-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Dear Hope,

One other thing I meant to tell you is that my pain does come and go at certain times of the month. I will begin to think GREAT I'm pain free but, then it comes back.

AJC
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM

I adlso suffered from ovarian cysts.. and yes at times the pain was unbareable. I would have pain on the side by the ovary, but also radiated into my back and down into my lower leg and groin. I have had cysts remove only to come back bigger. I had adhesions as well..it can be very frustrating. I feel your pain and I am here if you need to talk...or should i say type lol.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.