HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

peritoneal washing - abnormal peritoneal washing - abnormal

Unread 01-13-2008, 09:13 PM
peritoneal washing - abnormal

I recently learned that my pelvic wash contained abnormal cells, but not cancer. Has anyone else had this result? What does this mean?

I recently had LAVH/BSO for endometrial adenocarcinoma 1B. At my post surgical visit, my doctor reviewed the pathology report. He didn' t have the results of the pelvic wash, but promised to get them.

My cancer was 13 % invasive - stage 1b and negative for lymph node involvement (biopsies were taken) and no cancer in the ovaries. I believed the cancer was confined to the uterus and assumed that the pelvic wash would come back negative.

This past week while discussing hormonal issues with a nurse, I asked about results of the pelvic wash and got the abnormal but not cancer comment. I was on my cell phone driving car pool and had to pull over. I guess it doesn't mean anything... but????
Anyone have this result too?
Unread 01-14-2008, 06:01 AM

No, I didn't have this, but I wanted to say I'm sorry how frightening and intense it must have seemed to you to get this news while driving in the car pool lane!

Of course you don't have enough info yet. Get a copy of your path report and make an appt with your gyn/onc to discuss the results. Be prepared to also get a second opinion.

Hopefully this is nothing!
Unread 01-14-2008, 07:30 AM

Hi Sharwm,
Hearing such information while driving would be quite disconcerting; you also would not be prepared to ask further questions,etc. I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor so you can discuss the abnormal cells and what exactly they may mean face to face with him. If you then have any remaining concerns or doubts you can always seek a second opinion.
Pls let us know how things go.
s
Unread 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM

Wow, so sorry.

I had a positive wash when dx with stage 1 grade 1. My dr gave me a D&C between biopsy and surgery which spread the cells. I have not heard of pre cancer cells in the wash buy it sure sounds possible.

Many times the immune system will take care of these cells. I had a lap 3 months after surgery and the wash was negative. Even though I have had 2 recurrences my wash has remained negative.

I do not want to scare you at all but you do need close follow up.

Please post your results here. We need all the information we can get to help us all in this fight.

Juanita
Unread 01-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. The support is wonderful.

I spoke with the nurse again and she explained that the doctor sent out the pelvic wash for special stains to test for chemical markers and that while the results were abnormal, it was negative for cancer.

My stage and treatment plan was not changed. They will fax the results to me, which I will research and post here.

So this is good news that my abnormal pelvic wash tested negatively for cancer, but I am still a little worried. The next step is followup pap in March.

Best wishes to all,
Sharon
Unread 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Good news overall!!! Just be sure to remain proactive with your follow-ups, etc. BTW, stop calling from the car pool lane!

monami
Unread 01-16-2008, 12:32 AM

Yes, I had an abnormal wash. It moved me from 1A to 1C. In my case, they found psassomma bodies (spell?) which are floating calcifications that show where the body has fought something off. If I did not have cancer, it could have meant an old pelvic infection. But in the presence of cancer they interpret it to mean they are the result of cancer cells moving about in the fluid. I had my pelvic wash sent to another pathologist for a second opinion. Got the same opinion. I am now a 1C. I am sorry you got that news. It upset me, too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway