HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like? What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like?

Unread 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM
What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like?

I know it's been said it looks like the toe of a sock, and I understand that part of it. But, I guess I'm looking for more detail. I can't find a picture on the internet. Is it supposed to be uniform in size all around. Is it supposed to be smooth? Hard or soft? I wish I had looked before surgery because what I see now scares me. It just doesn't look right.
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM

I've seen a few photos... here's a link to one on the Internet (warning: graphic!):

http://www.jeffersonhospital.org/obg...erectomy08.JPG

It usually looks like a thick rope wrapped with dental floss stuck at the end of a tube sock. It may feel somewhat hard with a soft surface, if that makes sense.

You are still pretty early in your recovery. For a long time post op, it may be swollen and angry-looking compared to how it would look in a year or so.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Okay, now I have a dumb question: How do you know what yours looks like?? I didn't ask any questions before the surgery about it...

I know my doctor checked to see how it was healing during my 4 week exam...and said there was a quarter-sized sore still left to heal yet...but again, I didn't ask any questions...
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Gross how deep is that? It isn't anywhere you can see it unless your looking in, right?
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Huh... I hadn't thought about this. I imagined that they attached something where the cervix was. Sort of like the rubber plug you use on the garbage disposal drain... I never thought that they would just sew together what was left, hense the "toe of a sock" affect.

Good question. I wonder what mine looks like.
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
vaginal cuff

I'm one of those people that likes to know details! I haven't seen a photo of a cervixless vagina but I have seen the photos of cervixes. I told my husband that when my doc checks mine at the post op visit...I want him to look at it! He didn't even know where the cervix was when I told him it was getting removed!

One of my friends just had a hysterectomy but she didn't know IF she still had her cervix or not. Like I said, inquiring minds like mine want to know!

Chocolate Queen
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM

I watched a youtube video of a hysterectomy done with some new instrument and part of that was showing them stitching the cuff. It helped me get an idea of how they did it. I looked under total abdominal hysterectomy on youtube. And then there was a DaVinci video I think on this website. Absolutely fascinating. Well, only if your not squeamish. Linda, what angle is that picture of? I'm confused a bit.....trying to figure it out.
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:27 PM

The photo was taken during the hysterectomy. The woman was lying on her back on the table. Her cuff was stitched front to back rather than side to side (it can be done either way). The reason it's confusing (imho) is because she is soooo swollen -- I remember being like that, too. As she heals, the cuff will pull up inside her more.

The average vagina is about three inches long, but stretches as needed. So the cuff is about three inches inside under 'normal' circumstances once it's healed, but much closer to the outside due to swelling when newly post op.

I hope that helps.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:34 PM

thanks, that makes sense. I was confused about the front to back. I didn't know they could do it that way too. I never did see my cuff. I was looking for stitches and hanging things cause lots of people were talking about it. Everything looked the same to me!
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Maybe the cuff ends up higher up when you have an abdominal incision becase they are stitching at the top of the cuff, like the toes on the sock, if you have a vaginal they probably have to pull it down to sew it and then kind of stuff it back in so it probably takes more time to get back up to the top of the vagina. Does that sound possible?? - Suzyq

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway