HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

confused about resuming normal activities confused about resuming normal activities

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:09 AM
confused about resuming normal activities

Help, I went to my 6 week post op visit last week, My doc did a very quick peek to see how the stitches are doing. He wants me to wait 2-2 1/2 weeks before going back to work and any intimate activities, but he doesn't want to see me back for 3 months. I may just be one that worries alot but shouldn't I be rechecked to make sure everything is okay before proceeding with anything that may cause some damamge. I was so shocked when I left the office, for 1 that I had to be off work for 2 more weeks ( I work in a hospital and have to be able to pick up patients) and 2 that I wasn't ready to get back to normal, I totally forgot any other questions that I had for him. Has this happened to anyone else?
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:28 AM

Yes, it happenend to me. I had not moved out of the bed for the first 4 weeks except bathroom and short walks because of the pain I was in and then got up just to go to my 4 week post op and the surgeon said I had "healed like a rose" and to resume all activities!! Whe I told her I was still in pain, she told me that things would get better, but that I was healed. Things did get better as I got up and moved around more. I too worried, but I took it upon myself to take it very slow up until 8 weeks. Thank god I am Realtor and can choose my own schedule and even work from home if necessary. But I went back to the office after the holidays at week 9 and everything has been fine.
If you think you need more time, I would call your Dr, don't push yourself, you only have one chance to heal.
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:15 AM

Hi wanttobebetter
Welcome to Hystersisters! It seems that all drs are different in how cautious they are. My guess is that you are pretty well healed and he just wants to give you a little more time to be safe. I was thankful that my dr was the type that wanted to look and see before he released me. It would have been hard for me to feel sure if he had handled it like this too.

This area of resuming normal activities is important to understand. I was one who took a long time to heal and get back to where I could do normal things without pain. When I see women who need to get back to a job that is physically demanding I worry a little. My dr, and most drs will say you need to work back into your normal routines gradually, adding a little at a time. Remember that you have been resting for several weeks now. It stands to reason if you have to return to a job where you are on your feet for hours you are going to suffer when you first do that. Lifting people or objects is another situation where you need to exercise caution.

I would suggest that you start walking now, if you haven't been already. Listen to your body and pay close attention to where the natural limits are that it will set for you. Walking can help build up your strength and stamina a little bit and will help give you an idea how you're going to feel when you return to work. You may find that you don't feel at all ready to return in two and half weeks. The minimum time generally needed to recover from a hysterectomy is 6 to 8 weeks. After that it can take 6 mos to a year to fully recover and be back to 'normal'. My point is that you have just achieved the bare minimum, so try not to be hard on your self that you need some more time to finish healing up and be ready to resume your job.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you feel great in two and a half weeks. Let us know how you do.
's, Rita

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.