HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

No sexual desire after Hysterectomy No sexual desire after Hysterectomy

Unread 01-22-2008, 06:54 AM
No sexual desire after Hysterectomy

November 2006 I had TVH, Cystocele, Anterior pelvic wall repair and then part of it failed so on Feb. 2007 I had a TVT. (I still have my ovaries).

I don't know if the lack of my sexual desire has anything to do w/my surgeries or not. But to me, it's a big coincidence that the desire was there b/4 my surgeries and now I could care less whether I'm intimate w/my husband or not. Of course this is driving my DH crazy! And he'd definitely like to see things back to normal. Ha, ha. But for right now, I just don't have the want, or need or desire to do anything. I'd rather just go to sleep versus have sex.

Has anyone else encountered this problem after their surgeries????

Just wondering if I'm alone........

Thanks for your help in advance........
Unread 01-23-2008, 06:40 AM

I just logged on, looking for answers to your very question! I am 8 months post op, TVH with rectocele repair. I, too, kept my ovaries. I feel really bad for not caring about sex, but I don't have any desire either! I wonder if my ovaries stopped working?
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:38 AM

I'm glad to know I am not the only Hyster Sister with the same issue. Today is my one-year anniversary of my TVH, with both ovaries removed. I was on Premarin for about 10 months after the surgery, and then my doctor gave me the okay to go off the medicine. It seems as if my low libido began about that time, although I didn't have a real high libido before I stopped the HRT. For now I'm going to stay off the HRT and will just learn to deal with a frustrated husband!
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:49 AM

hi yes i had my total hysterectomy feb 2004 in the uk i am exactly like you and it is getting me down i want my life back, i have tried the new testosterone patch with no luck just severe side effects acni etc felt unwell still no sex drive, if you find anything that works please let me no
i am still on premarin because may ger osteo perosis but i still have no sex drive hat total hyst 2004 uk
Unread 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW77901
I was on Premarin for about 10 months after the surgery, and then my doctor gave me the okay to go off the medicine. It seems as if my low libido began about that time ... For now I'm going to stay off the HRT and will just learn to deal with a frustrated husband!
What was your reason for wanting to stop the Premarin? It seems to me that, unless there's some major health reason why you had to stop your HRT, if you know your libido issues are even just in part related to stopping it, you'd want to go back on it just to get your sex life back - no?

(((Ladies))), you do not have to just accept a lack of sex drive after this surgery; there are options out there. Many of us have done quite well with a combination of some form of systemic estrogen, a vaginal estrogen product plus compounded testosterone cream, myself included. My libido is better than it was pre-surgery because of finding the right combination of HRTs for me.

A good place to start is to find a DR who understands hormones and HRTs. One way to do that is to ask a local compounding pharmacy which DRs in your area prescribe compounded HRTs through them. To find a compounding pharmacy near you, you can go to www.iacprx.org and use their pharmacy locator. You have to register to use it, but it costs nothing to register and the site has a lot of good information.

When you see the DR, ask to have your serum levels of free and total testosterone checked. You'll also probably want a lipid panel and liver function test, because women with major cholesterol issues and/or liver function problems are not good candidates for using testosterone.

Even if you still have ovaries, they may not be doing the job the way they did before the surgery. Your DR should be able to help. If not, it's time to find a new DR.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Reason for Stopping Premarin

Linda,

I read somewhere that HRT posed a higher risk for breast cancer. Whether true or not, I figured I didn't need any additional risk factors as my mother died of breast and lung cancer. So far I have been able to deal with the hot flashes and will deal with the low libido as well.

Take care,

Trudy
Unread 01-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Mrs

i am high risk of osteoporosis so i am on hrt for that also but i will not accept the rest of my life at 43 with no sex drive i have started trying pure natpro progesterone cream i will let you no what happens as this has helped a lot of people, if this does not work i have just heard that hrt livial is a new mix of oestrogen progesterone and testosterone and does not have the breast cancer risk but may have womb cancer risk as the womb does not effect us it might be worth a try as our bbc news said it works wonders on libido thanks alicia
Unread 02-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Just to clarify, Livial, aka Tibolone, isn't an HRT - it's a compound called a STEAR (selective tissue estrogenic activity regulator). It doesn't contain any estrogen, progesterone or testosterone, but acts like each of those molecules in selected tissues. It works great for menopausal symptom relief and is supposed to help with libido. However, it's not available in the US:

http://www.drugs.com/nda/tibolone_060602.html

except as part of a clinical trial:

http://www.druglib.com/trial/64/NCT00413764.html

However, lots of ladies in the UK have had great success with it, and we've had a few members who were able to obtain it from overseas pharmacies with their DR's prescription.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-03-2008, 09:50 AM

I am so happy to see this thread (but not happy that we're all having this problem)! I am 8 mos post-op, and have little desire to initiate sex, and when we do have sex, I don't have an orgasm. I love my husband tremendously, and want him to have a good experience, so sometimes I fake it (can men really tell the difference?). I still love the closeness we feel after sex, and that is really important to me. I'm on Premarin, which helps with the vaginal dryness and somewhat with the hot flashes, although I still have lots of them. I can still bring myself to climax, but it takes FOREVER, and sometimes it just doesn't seem worth the effort!
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:23 PM

I am a year out (today actually) for my TVH (ovaries kept). My sex drive too is in the toilet. I talked to my doctor who checked my hormone levels and she says they are fine. I and my husband are frustrated too. The one option she did give me was to put me back on the pill which felt like an insult to injury. I feel your frustration.

33 YO - TVH due to cervical Cancer 2/07

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.