HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Duct biopsy?

How does one go about exactly biopsying a "duct". What is that procedure like??? I have to go for one of these in 2 weeks. I'm not sure what to expect.
Thanks,
Panz
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Duct biopsy?

Hi Panz Can you give us a little more info on your situation? There are various ways to obtain samples that include cells from a duct. What symptoms are you having that led to the decision to biopsy the duct? Did your DR tell you what kind of biopsy you will be having?

Here is a good link describing the different biopsy procedures:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/503006_4

In addition, there is a new technique called ductal lavage, which samples cells from the lining of the duct:

http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/ductal_lavage.asp

I have not had specifically a duct biopsy, although once I did have bleeding from one nipple and my DR told me that if it occurred again, they would remove the duct and biopsy it. It would be like a small excisional biopsy (essentially a lumpectomy but specifically targeting that one tiny duct rather than an actual 'lump').

Does that help?
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Duct biopsy?

Thanks for your quick response. I was having bloody discharge from one breast for about 2 weeks. Some of it was spontaneous. First my MD did a pap on the fluid, which confirmed that there was blood present. Then I had a diagnostic mammogram, then an ultrasound, which really showed nothing. I have no palpable mass or anything like that. The radiologist did a galactogram which showed a cut-off in the discharging duct. The dye just stopped abruptly and did not go into any of the branches, etc. The next step was to be an MRI but my MD is sending me to a surgeon instead next for the "biopsy", I was just wanodering how that particular biopsy could be done, without a mass present.
Thanks in advance!
Panz
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Duct biopsy?

Ahh, that helps.

It sounds like the surgeon could choose either an excisional biopsy (lumpectomy) or more likely some type of core needle biopsy. I've had two core needle biopsies, both times Mammotome type. Here are the links to my posts about that procedure:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...0&postcount=10

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...89&postcount=4

Let us know what the surgeon says, OK? I hope it goes well.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Duct biopsy?

Thanks for the links and the great info. I will certainly let you know what I find out. All of this is certainly a huge learning experience, if nothing else.
You're awesome!
Thanks,
Panz
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Duct biopsy?

Panz, I've had three different types of core needle biopsies. Don't worry about the procedure. And it's much more likely that the reason for it will be something benign.

Mary D.
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Duct biopsy?

First of all, I love that little picture of that weiner dog! Anyway, how long does it normally take to get back any kind of biopsy results.

Thanks,
Panz
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Duct biopsy?

It can vary, but mine have taken anywhere from 2 or 3 days to a week. You can ask them at the time of the biopsy how long they think it will take.

s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.