HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Ovulation after hysterectomy Ovulation after hysterectomy

Unread 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Ovulation after hysterectomy

I've been having pain were my ovaries are for about a week now but my left side is more painful, it fills like I'm bruised on that side along with throbbing and pulling.I also fill nausea with the pain.I spoke with my DR & said I could be ovulating.He said when we ovulate a cyst comes up & then sucks back in.I'm a little confused because that doesn't make sense to me.I didn't know we could still ovulate after a hysterectomy.Can someone explain ovulation to me so that it does make sense.Is anyone else going through this?
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Yes, we can still go through ovulation. The ovaries are still producing the hormones which causes it, so it still does happen.
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:31 PM

as long as you have your ovaries (or an ovary) and they are working properly, you continue to ovulate like you did before your hysterectomy. i had painful ovulation before my hysterectomy and continue to have it. some months are bad but i'm glad theyre still working and providing me with hormones.
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Yes, and PMS just like before!

Hi-yes, if you kept your ovaries they will still ovulate pretty regularly. I'm 10 weeks post-op and it's a bit irregular now, but I've heard it will calm down in a few months. I get he sore/tender breasts, crankiness, insomnia, just like before. But be glad that you have your hormones, they do protect your heart and bones. I've been starting to excercise on the treadmill and cutting back on caffeine and it is helping with the PMS. Good luck and blessings to all!
Unread 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM

Yep, functioning ovaries mean ovulation....which also means that you still may have PMS too.
Unread 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Yes - I have mine too and I still ovulate and have pms.
Unread 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM

I have been having the same feelings - pulling, throbbing, bruised feeling on the left. Some days it hurts so much I almost cry. I started charting it on the calendar about 6 weeks ago because I thought it must have something to do with ovulation or pms or something cyclical. Now I'm not so sure. It never goes away, although there are days when it is less severe. The fact that it was very severe for 5 days last week and has now been very severe again for the last 3 days makes me wonder. It's starting to hurt on the right side also. I wish I knew what was going on in there.
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM

Hi butterfly426,

I am 4 weeks post op and I felt my first ovulation episode a day or two ago. It felt like before I had my TAH, so I did not worry. Your Dr. could be right and you might be ovulating, but if the pain persists and you feel that it could be something else I would definitely check with him or her again to make sure that nothing else is going on.

Keep us posted and good luck
Unread 01-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Results from ultrasound

Hi all,
I had my ultrasound yesterday & my ovaries look great! My DR did say I was ovulating & it looked like I was a little constipated (reason for bruised feeling on my left side).Kind of weird because I haven't had any feelings of constipation but he said to take a laxative or suppository to relieve the pain.
I started to take fibersure with my water 3 times a day & I feel a little relieved.Thank you all for your replies & good luck to all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway