HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LAVH and time off Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LAVH and time off

Unread 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LAVH and time off

I am scheduled to have lavh with ovaries removed also b/c I ma BRCA 2 positive. My doctor said I would beable to go back to work in 2 to 3 weeks. Does this seem like enough time to recover?
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM

I would think you might need a little more time to heal. This is major surgery with organs being removed, so the body needs to have time to adjust physically and emotionally even if there is not a big incision. I had a vaginal hyst and I still needed 6 weeks to heal and get my strength back.

Here is some helpful information from our Post-op articles:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/articlelist_171.htm

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

s
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM

I had the exact same surgery and can tell you that 2-3 weeks is a good estimate barring any unforeseen complications. The worst is over after the first week/week and a half and after that it is more a matter of being tired. Be sure to rest as much as you can; walk; drink lots of water; and be sure to eat well so that your bowels move.
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM

I just was in for my post op VH today and my Dr said I was way to early to go back to work. She said maybe, she'd consider it four hrs a day for a few days on week five. She also said, "Do you really like your job that much to want to go back so soon." Take time to heal.
She explained that there is still healing going on, and you don't want to over do it with yourself. Rest is needed to heal, and she wants me to have that.
Just wait and see how you are doing after your surgery.
Good Luck
L
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM

hi everyone
these same questions have crossed my mind, everyone has a story about how they were healed overnight etc. one lady, who is a nurse, told me she went out with her husband for dinner the night after she had a VATHBSO. I am 6 days out and cant stay upright for more than 2 hours at a shot. ]
Long story short, everyone is different, take as much time as you can, because even though there are no outward scars, a lot has been done inside and needs time to heal/set. Foolish mistakes in the first 3 months, ie lifting/bending doing things not recommended can plague you in the years to come. Dont worry about what others say, do what's best for yourself. No one can judge your healing but you.
I plan to take off 6-7 weeks, I had surgery in Mid january/ laparascopic, so naturally everyone thinks you can return like nothing happened in 2 weeks, RIDICULOUS!!!
take care of yourself
Louie
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Hi, obx, I had an LAVH at the end of October. After 4 weeks out, I went back to work, meaning I worked from home typing on the computer for 8 hours a day. (I could not have gone into the office because I would have been too tired. I started going to the office at about 6 weeks out.)

At that time I was still having pain at the end of the day and taking Ibuprofen every day. I didn't have any complications from my surgery and I'm 41, and I was (and am) in reasonably good health except for the fibroids. I had adhesions from a prior surgery but no other work was needed besides the hysterectomy.

So-- I guess the answer is "maybe". It depends on your job, how many hours you work, how strenuous it is, etc. If you have to lift anything more than 10 pounds, I would urge you to get someone else to help. I can lift more than that now, but more than about 20 pounds gives me a tugging sensation in my abdomen. According to the doctor, I need to gradually work up to lifting more.

If I were you, I would tell your workplace 6 weeks, and if you feel ready sooner, you can always return early. No one will care if you are back early but they will not like it if you take longer than they expect. That's my

good luck with your surgery!

Lysippe
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:43 PM

I had LAVH-BSO with bladder sling and rectocele/cystocele repairs done on 12/31. I talked my dr. into letting me go back to work at 4 wks.....only when I promised that I would lift NOTHING! I have a desk job..work as a secretary at an elementary school....went back yesterday and worked the full day with no problems...but when I got to my car...I was dog tired! Thank gosh for Papa Johns cause I could not have gone home and cooked supper.
Everyone is different and heals at different rates. I would ask for 6 weeks off and if you feel like going back at 2 or 3 then go...but atleast you will have the other weeks if you don't feel like going.
Unread 01-29-2008, 04:22 PM

I think time off falls under the category of "Hope for the best, but expect the worst.....just in case." Meaning ask for MORE time off than you think you'll need, and if you can go back early - great!

I've asked for a full 8 weeks off from work, and DH is taking 4 weeks off to help me around the house. Hopefully I'll be feeling better before 8 weeks, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.