Vaginal hysterectomy: TVH - outpatient surgery ???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy: TVH - outpatient surgery ???? Vaginal hysterectomy: TVH - outpatient surgery ????

Unread 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Vaginal hysterectomy: TVH - outpatient surgery ????

I've been reading so much both here and in the post op forum and I can't seem to find anyone else that had a TVH as an outpatient procedure .... but that's what my doctor said would probably happen.
Is my doctor insane ????? Has anyone else had a TVH and gone home the same day ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM

I just had a TVH and mine was not and dont know how it could be. I would have died if I was told to go home the same day. I havent seen or heard of anyone ever doing that. You need to get another opinion. Im not sure that would be smart or safe.
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Initially my insurance approved my TVH on outpatient basis, but my Dr had written it as inpatient. He said there is no way he'd do it on outpatient, so appeal to the doc's common sense to keep you in overnight. I was approved for inpatient and the Dr said he was told to "start the clock" when I got to recovery and release me in 18 hrs -- he didn't start his clock on time! as I was in hospital a total of 27 hrs after leaving the OR!!

Talk to you Dr and tell him/her that you are not comfortable with the outpatient option.

Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Its not that I'm not comfortable with the outpatient option - I'd rather go home quickly ! I also did a better search and see that "outpatient" doesn't mean that there is no overnight stay - it just means that the stay is less than 24 hours. That makes alot more sense to me - I completely misunderstood and thought I'd have surgery at 10am and go home at 7pm (call me overly optimistic - call ME insane ! or just call me silly LOL).
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:51 PM

I think your Doctor is in with the insurance company!
Also must be a man..lol
There is NO way I would have done that on outpaitient! I could have stayed another day just for pain management. Check with your insurance to see what they cover. My insur only paid one day in the castle and my husbands had a two/three day ticket to the castle. I wish I would have known that before I left the wonderful pain medications.
Of course I found out what his was AFTER I got home ! My fault for not checking.
Good luck
L
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM

Does anyone know how long the stay is for a LAVH? I am going next Monday and looking forward to staying a couple of days.
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:23 PM

I was ready to leave the hospital before I was there for 24 hours but I had to wait for the discharge papers to make their way up from downstairs. I guess it was about 26 or 27 hours before I actually left the premises although I was "unpacked" and "uncatherized" and unhooked from the IV and leg compression things and dressed to go before the 24 hours were up.

Downyocean
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:05 PM

My TVH was considered 'outpatient' even though I stayed overnight.

s, Deb
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM

The gal that I know had her surgery totally outpatient and did not stay overnight in the hosp. I think that's nuts. She's also one of the people that said my recovery would be easy and quick and she was back to everything in 2 weeks.

Ha! I haven't spoken to her post TVH!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register