HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How much time off to expect for Novasure ablation? How much time off to expect for Novasure ablation?

Unread 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM
How much time off to expect for Novasure ablation?

Hi. This is my first post to the board. I've had extremely bad cramping, bleeding, clots the size of a fifty cent piece or larger since July of 07 when I had my second cesarean and tubal ligation. This also marked the stopping of 14 years of Birth Control pills. I've had an endometrial biopsy and ultrasound showing no cysts (not abnormally large ones anyway) and no fibroids. biopsy was clear. Dr. told me to "deal with my periods" because I have a clotting factor in my blood (prior history of clotting) he wont' put me on hormones (b/c). I got a second opinion and have opted for the Novasure ablation. I'm scheduled tentatively for 2/13/08. My question is: how much time should I expect to be off work. I have a low tolerance for pain. My MD says the procedure will be in the hospital OR as outpatient surgery and I should only be off work one day. That seems like not enough time. He also told me advil works well post surgery. I'm thinking if the put you under to do the procedure, one day is not enough recovery time and advil won't help me. It doesn't help the pain I get with my periods, I'm terrified of pain post op. My dr. described the procedure as a 3rd degree burn. That sounds painful. So to sum up my questions for those of you who had the Novasure:

1. How much time off your feet post op?
2. Were you given any pain meds for recovery?
3. Did you qualify for short term disability at all (I'm thinking 3-7 days)
4. Any complications in the week immediately post op preventing you from working / functioning normally?

I have two children and work full time. I want to be prepared. Ialso only have about three days to take off work.

The procedure is planned for a Wed. so I expect to be off thru Monday. I hope that is enough time.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Looking forward to being clot free and having the 12 weeks out of my year salvaged going forward.

Jen
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:41 PM

Jen,
I didnt have the proceedure but did go through all the research as he wanted to do it. Look at the novasure site, http://www.novasure.com/irregular-pe...l-ablation.cfm and also at this site under this particular thread .. http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=298661

I would say if you have a low tolerance for pain that you should opt for the general anesthesia as my doctor described it as the same if not a bit worse than my Leep proceedures cauterization...and that hurt.

I think that cramping, much like labor pains would be the main thing you would feel then when you woke up, instead of that and the burning while its done. so being asleep for that part would help.

He did say that due to the cramping I may want to do it on a friday so that I was all better by monday so I would think you'd be fine by the time frame you have decided on but I would look at that thread I gave above and ask the ones who posted there what the experience actually was.

Good luck to you
Kim
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Hi Kim. Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. My emotions are high right now. I hate surgery but I need relief. It sounds like the post op symptoms are cramping and I have that anyway. I went into labor twice (both ending in cesareans) but I lived through that so I know I can do this. Thanks for your fast response.

Jennifer
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:35 AM

your welcome. This is a wonderful place for no only information, but to take you mind off things and to put it at ease.
Good luck to you!
Kim
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM

Hi Jen

I had Nova sure Ablation In late Sept 06 and will try to answer your questions based on my experience

1. How much time off your feet post op? about 24 hrs completely.. a few days of slow going..
2. Were you given any pain meds for recovery?When I woke yes but when I went home just Tyenol and Advil(together)
3. Did you qualify for short term disability at all (I'm thinking 3-7 days) I live in Canada so its a little different here so I will say no
4. Any complications in the week immediately post op preventing you from working / functioning normally? Complications.. I had a slight infection and needed to slow down more.. your body will let you know when you are over doing it.. I cramped alot when I did so I learned the hard way..

I was only off work a few days but with restrictions(no lifting anything over 10 lbs for 2 weeks, No baths or swimming pools for a month I believe) and take it easy..
The time you have allotted off from work seems reasonable to me.. but you again will know after the procedure

The Ablation didn't work as hoped for me but I wish you the best of luck!!
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Reefgirrl.... I had the novasure ablation done in Jan 2007, as well as a tubal and D&C. My procedure was done on a Thursday, my doctor didn't give me any restrictions on returning to work but I took off the rest of that Friday and all of the next week since I had tons of vacation time accumulated.

I had darvocet to go home with, took it the first night, but ibuprofen worked great after that. I didn't really have a lot of pain, just cramping the first evening. I was told no baths, or anything inserted into the vagina for three weeks. I did end up getting a slight infection (no fever)-- the drainage turned bloody for about 2 1/2 weeks. She put me on antibiotics and it cleared right up. The ablation worked well for me until my uterus developed other issues almost a year later.

(our basement flooded 2 days after the procedure and I was running around cleaning things up, carrying things upstairs without any problems)

Good Luck!!
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Mine was much easier. Procedure on Thursday, back to work on Monday. No problems at all -- no pain meds after the day of surgery (outpatient -- I was home by 9:15AM (7AM surgery). Went to the beach two weeks later -- cleared for swimming and fooling around. I hope you have the same luck
All the best
Unread 02-07-2008, 11:33 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I had pre-surgery testing done on Tuesday and it really hit me (being in the hospital, getting blood taken and all). I kind of got nervous. Anyway, my surgery is one week from today. I'm looking forward to getting it over with. I will report back with my experience.
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:52 AM

Best of luck!! You're in my thoughts
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:47 PM

My surgery is set for tomorrow at noon. I'm nervous, but I know everything will be ok. I'm not allowed anything to eat or drink after midnight. Wish me luck!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.