HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Recovery time eroded mesh removal Recovery time eroded mesh removal

Unread 01-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Question - Recovery time eroded mesh removal Recovery time eroded mesh removal

I have a piece of mesh poking through my vaginal wall. It's in a weak spot where I had a hematoma right after my hysterecotomy in March 2006. I'm having surgery next Thursday to have that one piece of mesh cut off and the tissue around it "debrided". The dr tells me I don't need any recovery time except to not use my vagina "recreationally" (her word!) for 6 weeks. She's keeping me in the hospital overnight just to be sure everything turns out okay as she is concerned that the rectal wall doesn't get damaged in the surgery, since there's a thin spot there already.

I'm concerned about her estimates for recovery time. I have numerous things planned in the next couple of weeks, including a job I just started that I have to work on the weekend (surgery's on the Thursday) that involves a lot of walking, and a plane trip to visit friends scheduled for 6 days post-op. She seems to think I'll just hop out of bed and be fine after the surgery. Is that realistic?
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Recovery time eroded mesh removal

Mosie--

I'm so sorry to hear of yet another HysterSister having this awful mesh erosion. It sure is NO FUN at all.

I don't think it's realistic to have zero time to recover from a vaginal surgery. Do you have a lot of pain when anything is done vaginally? Each time I had anything done, it sure seemed to me like I needed at least 10 days or so to 'recoup' from the ickiness. Also, it depended on how extensive the surgery was as to how quickly I could get back to my regular life. I was usually told not to exercise at all for at least 2 weeks and no aerobics for at least 6 weeks. When my Dr. removed mesh surgically, it took awhile to heal from the stitches.

I'm kind of surprised she wants you to just jump right back into your regular routine. Does your Dr. know how active you are? Perhaps she doesn't realize just how much you walk and do in a regular day? Please make sure you discuss thoroughly with her exactly what you do for work and exactly how much walking you do. You may also want to let her know how much pain you feel from the mesh and any time you have vaginal exams, etc. I had to let my Dr. know these things in great detail so he could get the picture and detail an after surgery recovery routine for me that he knew would let me heal best.

Sending many S and +++ thoughts....
Unread 01-31-2008, 09:35 PM

Just recovering from the anesthesia takes more than a day. ( I assume that she will be giving you general anesthesia!) My doctor didn't give me much restrictions when I had my mesh removed (I had it completely removed). I decided to be careful so that I wouldn't run into more complications. I had had it with complications! I guess I would rather err on the side of being too careful- -rather than paying the price later.
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:20 PM

Thank you both for your input. I don't even have another appointment scheduled with my dr before the surgery, so I guess I'd better call and talk to her.
Unread 02-01-2008, 12:08 AM

I just had what you are describing earlier this month. I was put in a twilight sleep (which I don't remember any of it), but i wasn't held overnight for observation.
I had the surgery done on a Friday morning and returned to work on Sunday night (i work graveshift). It did take me the entire weekend to recover from the anesthia alone. plus I was very slow moving for the first few days back at work. I have a desk job that I sit at for the entire eight hour shift (no breaks...) and it was VERY unconfortable sitting until about two weeks post-op.
Unfortunately I seemed to have ripped a stitch during the first two weeks, so the mesh is peeking through the stitch opening. We (Dr and I) are hoping the skin will continue to heal over that opening, but I won't know until my 6 week checkup.
Use YOUR best judgement on when you should return to full activities (except the pelvic rest...then wait as long as the Dr tells you), because ultimately YOU are the one who has to deal with your body should things not heal as planned.
Good luck
Rose
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:54 AM

For me the recovery from anesthesia was the worst part. And now about six weeks out I still get tired if I run too hard.

This mesh stuff is just AWFUL. There's no way around it, no pretty words to make it nicer. I put restrictions on myself just like after the hysterectomy. I'm sick and tired of complications, healing, more surgery etc. It's not worth taking a risk at all to me.

My first mesh removal was 12/11....and three weeks out from that I knew there was something wrong ....went back in for a check and there was more mesh .......doc gave me local injections in the office and did as much repair as he could. I am hoping and praying this stuff behaves now. No fun at all.

Good luck to you!!
Unread 02-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'll let you know how it goes. Surgery is this Thursday. Tomorrow I have a pre-admission assessment at the hospital that could take anywhere from 2-6 hours they say.
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:27 PM

Hi everyone. I should have written here sooner to let you know how things went. Sorry. I came home from the hospital the same day as the surgery. Other than feeling sluggish from the anesthetic (and throwing up a bit from it) I felt great. I slept a lot that day and took it easy the next day, but I had absolutely no pain at all. The dr gave me a prescription for pain meds but I never even filled the prescription, and I didn't even have to take any Tylenol. I am so pleased. I'm still feeling great but being a little careful not to lift too much just in case. Just thought I'd give everyone a happy recovery story!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.