HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

keep Cervix? Pelvic floor keep Cervix? Pelvic floor

Unread 02-02-2008, 12:30 PM
keep Cervix? Pelvic floor

Hi sisters,

My date is March 4. I am wondering if I should have the doc leave the cervix in, when my uterus and right ovaries come out. I have read some articles about the advantages to the pelvic floor when the cervix is left in.

Any other sisters with thoughts on this i would appreciate.

I am fairly panicked about all of this.

JoanieSalami
Unread 02-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Hi JoanieSalami,

You can get (2) schools of thinking on whether to keep the cervix or not. In the end...do what is *best* for you in discussions with your Dr.

I was a good candidate to leave my cervix since I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy. Also, my Dr. told me that he felt..as you mentioned...that the cervix helps with future pelivc support. He also said he felt keeping the cervix helps with sex.

My Dr. also told me that approx. 3% or less of women get cervical cancer so that was good odds for me to leave my cervix. And I learned from being on Hyster Sisters...that over 70% of that 3% also have a HPV...which I knew I did not have.

I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst...and that has helped prevent me from having mini-periods in post-op. If a Hyster Sister keeps one or both ovaries and the cervix...there is a chance of a mini-period in post-op. Generally, ladies report needing a pantyliner at that time of the month.

For me...leaving my cervix with my hyst was a good decision.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 02-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Thank you Mary.

JoanieSalami
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:04 PM

i also kept mine and am very happy that i did. the recovery is easier (no vaginal cuff) and i chose to believe that the cervix helps with support and with lubrication (there are glands in the cervix). you have to do what you feel is right...and sometimes its hard when you can find just as much info saying the opposite. do lots of research and go with your gut feeling. good luck
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I have the same dilemma

Hi!
My surgery is scheduled for about the same time as yours (early March), and I too am wondering about the cervix. Should it stay or should it go? I asked my gyn and her answer was "Give me a reason why you'd want to keep it?" That left a bad taste in my mouth, for sure. Anyway, my tendency is to keep it, primarily for sexuality reasons. I've never had an abnormal pap, so why get rid of it?
Blessings,
Lori
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:48 PM

I left my cervix too. I discussed the pro's and con's with my doctor and did lots of soul searching. Since mine was healthy, I decided to keep it. I did it for pelvic support, quicker healing and to try to keep things as close as I could to normal in the bedroom.

Now, my doctor disagrees with me on the sexual side but stands by the fact that it does provide support to the vaginal wall and bladder. He says that neither my husband or I would notice the cervix is gone but after lots of research, I just do not see how that is possible...

Please get all the information you can from your dr. and do some research on your own.

A plus for my LSH, I am cleared for sex at 4 weeks and I have even heard of women being cleared at 2 weeks!
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks Becky!

What Web sites would you all recommend for research? I've used Mayo Clinic and Web MD but haven't found anything about keeping cervix vs. not keeping it.

Blessings,
Lori
Unread 02-02-2008, 09:02 PM

Due to extensive endometriosis & nodularity of the cervix, mine had to come out. If my cervix was not diseased, I definetly would have kept it for pelvic support ... unfortunately I didn't have much choice.
Good luck with your decision!
Unread 02-02-2008, 10:36 PM

My GYN was very supportive of keeping my cervix. I have always had normal pap smears and she said she thinks keeping the cervix helps with faster recoveries and also helps with preventing incontinence later in life. I know I saw a study right before my surgery that said women post-TAH have a HUGE increase in bladder incontinence compared to women without hyst. especially if you've had 4 or more deliveries, which I've had. The surgeon did do an ablation of the glands in the cervix to keep me from having mini periods since I also kept one ovary. I'm only 6 weeks post op now, but have been cleared for sex and was very relieved to find it wasn't painful at all the first time. I think the cervix is important for maintaining lubrication as well, at least from what I've read in my research.

Good luck trying to make a difficult decision. And best of luck with your surgery and recovery! You're in my thoughts.

44y/o
SAH/LSO for benign ovarian tumors and abnormal bleeding
Unread 02-04-2008, 01:10 AM

wow! I love having such great support thank you to all who responded. I would be lost without you all.

Blessings

JSalami

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.