HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bowel prep and wipes??? Bowel prep and wipes???

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

Hi

I seem to be fixated on doing the bowel prep (never done one and am very uneasy about the whole thing). SO-- I am wondering if I should have purchased wipes or something to use instead of TP - to lessen irritation. Never used wipes so am not sure about that.

Bowel prep tomorrow, surgery monday (TAH etc) - does anyone have any comments on the wipes thing - and if so any suggestions?

Thanks
Jax
Unread 02-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

Hi Jax,

I am in the same boat as you, but I will be doing it Monday. I saw someone mention here both wipes and Desitin(sp?), so I bought both. I figured using both would help with the irritation. I think I am going to have enough pain, without adding that kind of pain too.

Hopefully someone who has used them will elaborate and tell us how effective they were.

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

I would go for the wipes. I've never done a bowel prep though, but I just think it would be more soothing than just plain ol' TP. I'm the kind of person that, if I go #2 I have to either take a shower or use wipes. (The cottonelle wipes are really nice!) Good luck to you
Unread 02-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

I would recommend the wipes for sure. My bowel prep was 10 oz of magnesium citrate and I spent a good bit of time visiting the bathroom. I did not have wipes, but really wish I did, despite moistening the TP before using it. My bottom was quite irritated.
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

Wipes are a great idea. I'm sorry that I didn't recommend them on the other posts where we talked about this.
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

glad someone thought of this...i keep wipes on hand for my kids to use, glad theres some here.
i have to do the mag citrate followed my ducolax! I'm dreading it, just hope i can keep the mag citrate down!
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

Wipes are definitely a good idea. My prep was 10 oz mag citrate followed by dulcolax, and I wish I'd thought of this - after awhile, that TP just feels like sandpaper! Best wishes for a successful surgery.
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_new_life
after awhile, that TP just feels like sandpaper!
I remember that and not fondly either. It was horrible!

As for keeping the mag citrate down, put it in the fridge now and use a straw. I drank it slowly so as not to upset my tummy and had no problem keeping it down. But once it started to work, LOOK OUT!

Good luck tomorrow, ladies!
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

I bought wipes and Desitin. Funny about that circle of life huh? haha

The wipes were more soothing and I felt cleaner than using TP. I did not need Desitin until mid-day but it sure helped.

I too took Magnesium Citrate. The pharmacist recommended the lemon-lime flavor vs. cherry. I mixed it with Sierra Mist and could not really tell it was there.

Best advice is to stay at home for this process. By mid-day, you will know why...haha

Best wishes on the 4th!
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Bowel prep and wipes???

I had the Magnesium Citrate and then had to do an enema!!! I wish someone told me about the wipes and Desitin. Definitely buy both!!!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.