HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Recovery Time = Laparoscopic Oophorectomy Recovery Time = Laparoscopic Oophorectomy

Unread 02-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Recovery Time = Laparoscopic Oophorectomy

I am scheduled for a BSO on February 28th, the plan is to do it laparoscopic. What I need to know is how long do I need to be off work? I do not have a job that sits much, I walk about 90% of the day. Any info would be helpful!

Thanks

Tanya - 38
novasure 2/06
TVH 8/07 - failed novasure, Fibroids. (Kept ovaries)
BSO 2/08 - 3 complex cysts 3-6cm (scheduled)
Unread 02-04-2008, 02:11 PM

HI Tanya-

I had a laparoscopic BSO and cervical repair on Jan. 22nd. My doc. said 2 weeks off work and then 2 weeks of light duty (no heavy lifting). I an a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) and I walk a lot and lift patients.

I have been off work entirely for the last 2 weeks and i'm soooo glad b/c while i had very minimal pain the first 11 days, i developed pretty bad shooting pains over this past weekend that turned out to be normal recovery.

I will work a desk job for the next 2 weeks and then go back to my CNA role.

I hope this helps. I've had many laparoscopic surgeries and i've always been off work for 2 weeks. If you walk a lot but don't do heavy lifting, you might be able to return to work in 2-3 weeks. Just depends on the kind of work you do.

Can you talk to your doc. about what is reasonable?

Tera
LSH 2006 for endo, aden and bleeding
BSO and cervical repair with endo removal Jan. 22, 2008
Unread 02-04-2008, 02:33 PM

I am 5 days post op. Total hysterectomy uterus, cervixs and one ovary and tub. I am doing okay today..Maybe two weeks and go back slow.
Unread 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Hi Tera - Thanks alot for the information. It really will help, since I do not have my pre-op till the 25th with my DR. And of course as you know, you always have to let work know before had.

Anyway....I do not do too much lifting, only if you call picking up an arm once in awhile lifting. I work as a EKG/Phlebotomist in a local hospital. I started out as a CNA. I will only do alot of walking through out the hospital.

I think that I am just going to plan for 2 weeks off.

Glad that you are doing well....I am sure things will go as planned for me to. I will be just glad to have it done and over with!

Tanya
Unread 02-04-2008, 02:39 PM

Hi kim - Glad to hear that you are doing well. I had a TVH in August of 2007 and was out 6 weeks. But now, I am having to go back and have the ovaries removed. Once this is done, I think that I will feel much better.

Thanks again for your help. Take it easy and your recovery will be quicker!

Tanya
Unread 02-05-2008, 01:18 PM

Hi Ladies...I go to the doctor Friday to talk about my options. I'm still having ever more increasing pain...more yesterday than since before my TAH in July 2006. He hinted at a laparoscopic surgery to check out the cyst and any adhesions. I'm hoping it will stay laparoscopic once he's in there and I'll onlly be out two weeks. My boss might lose her mind if I'm out another 6 weeks!
Unread 02-05-2008, 01:27 PM

Otessa: Sorry to hear that you are having more pain. I hope that whatever you decide will go well. I am having the same thoughts about my upcoming BSO. I only took off 2 weeks for mine. I hope that will be enough! Keep us updated on how things are going for you and what will be happening.

Tanya
Unread 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM

I am 6 days post op from a 5 to 6 hour surgery. My doctor was going to have to open me up to get the left ovary out so she elected to leave it because I had so many adehsions. I am going back to work Monday. It will be okay. I will pray for you.
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Thanks ladies...again, I love HS! You gals are the greatest! I think my biggest fear is all the pain meds I'm taking. I don't take anything during the day since ibuprofen doesn't help at all and then at night I'm taking 2 Lortabs. My guess is that I'll be having lap surgery by the end of the month...I really hope that's all it turns out to be. I know that sometimes the smallest things (cysts) can cause the greatest pain and hope it's not more than that. That said, if it does require "opening me up," I'd rather go ahead and get it taken care of. You'd think after a TAH with 6 weeks recovery I'd be ok with it...but NOOOOO...I'm stressing over being out of work more than anything!
Unread 02-05-2008, 07:46 PM

do you have a good surgeon who has a lot of experience using the laparoscope? As long as you don't have major adhesions or a anything, they should be able to do it all laparoscopically. I had my hysterectomy via laparoscopy and then just had my BSO the same way. The recovery is very minimal compared to the TAH.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.