HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Silver Nitrate on Vaginal Cuff opening????  Huh? Silver Nitrate on Vaginal Cuff opening???? Huh?

Unread 02-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Silver Nitrate on Vaginal Cuff opening???? Huh?

I went to the doctor today: For the past week I'd had some yellowish discharge and a feeling of inflammation in my vagina.

I had been released for sex at just before 6 weeks and although I was fine the first couple times, the last time I began bleeding a little during (although nothing afterwards).

During the exam, my doctor said there looked like a small pinprick sized spot at the top of the vaginal cuff that didn't heal. Said something about a suture maybe popping? He did a biopsy (due to my TAH for cervical cancer) and treated the area with silver nitrate and asked me to come back in in 10-14 days. Is this a normal treatment? I, of course, given my history am totally panicked...up until now I'd been recovering nicely... Is this a huge deal or routine?
Unread 02-04-2008, 04:22 PM

I think a lot of us have had to have that procedure done. I am 9 weeks postop and had the silver nitrate treatment done last week. My dr. explained that the vaginal cuff is in such a moist area that it doesn't always heal on its own. The silver nitrate somehow helps the healing. Some ladies have to have 2 or 3 treatments. I think my area was bigger than just a pin prick. I do feel better, and have no discharge at all, whereas before I did have some yellowish discharge. So, hopefully this will take care of it. If yours was so small, I would think you would heal quickly and nicely. Maybe you could call your dr. and he can tell you more.
Blessings!
Unread 02-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Thank you. Of course the biopsy makes me nervous (and probably always will now)...but if that comes back okay on Friday, I feel better knowing that this type of situation isn't uncommon. He said because it was so small that he anticipated it would heal and no sex for 10 days and that was that.
Unread 02-04-2008, 07:43 PM

I was also experiencing some bleeding and my doctor did silver nitrate and it worked well. My doctor said this issue with the vaginal cuff is a common situation and told me not to worry at that time. After the treatment, the bleeding stopped. Good luck to you.....
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM

Was the bleeding only after sex? Or was it more continuous as just that? I only spotted/bled one time during sex (no blood other than that for the past 5 weeks) but it was enough for him to use the sliver nitrate I guess?
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Yes my bleeding was only after sex. My doctor did an exam in the office and noted the problem with the vaginal cuff. he used the silver nitrate and then had me return in 2 weeks. That took care of the problem.....
Unread 02-19-2008, 10:17 PM

This is encouraging. I went to my doc today due to bleeding after sex. She said that I had some granulation and it was a real small area, but because my tissues were so thin that this caused the bleeding.

My doc asked if I'd had sex since the bleeding. I told her that I put myself on pelvic rest this time. Once again, no sex for a week.

I about freaked out with the bleeding. My doc said that there were no signs of reoccurence of my cancer. Bleeding was my symptom for cancer.

I didn't know the term, granulation, but i had this at 6 weeks. At that time, I just waited and went back in one week. It had healed then by waiting.

My doc told me to expect grayish discharge, but not to worry. I have had the discharge. I have felt kind of crampy like and just tired this evening.

I just hope this doesn't continue. My thinning tissues have been mentioned at a couple of appointments.
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM

hi, This afternoon I soaked a panty liner with blood. I called my doc and talked with a nurse. She said that this is normal after having silver nitrate. I was expecting some discharge, but not this much. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was "starting."

I had my silver nitrate on Tues. The nurse said that the bleeding should quit by the end of the weekend.

Tonight I have not felt well, at all. I've got cramps or some tummy area discomfort, more than during my period days. In fact, I'm thinking of taking a pain pill.

thanks.
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:03 AM

Hey all....I am just over one year post op....and I still have spotting. 6 months after surgery I returned to my OB/GYN because of spotting after lifting/intercourse....he did cautery...still bled. Then did 4 weekly treatments of silver nitrate.....still didn't help, went back in to hosp in Nov/07, had cautery under a general...helped for 6 weeks and now it has started again. Doc stays that is at my vaginal cuff too.....really frustrating, and I hope you guys get it under control much quicker then things have for me....I kept being told, "it's slow to heal, give it time"....and that was a long time ago...I would not be so patient and just wait...I had an OB/GYN who I thought was really great and I had being seeing for years.....but just waiting was not the answer for me, and now a new OB/GYN is trying desperately to fix all this for me....
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:39 AM

Patience, my dear, is truly a virtue. It's hard to wait. Once upon a time, about 18 years ago, a minister prayed for us during a difficult time of healing. I don't remember the rest of the prayer, but the part I do remember: "God, please grant them patience in the healing process." This was in the hospital. The other part of the visit that I remember: the minister got me a cup of coffee.

Now for my lack of patience ... I am sick and tired of this bleeding! I never expected to bleed at this point. For some of us, the reason for the hyst was due to bleeding.

Tina, I hope you get things worked out.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway