HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone in their 50's getting a hysterectomy? Anyone in their 50's getting a hysterectomy?

Unread 02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Anyone in their 50's getting a hysterectomy?

Just wondering if anyone in their 50's having a hystertomy. or had one already. just liked to know how it went for them.
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Hi Moerem,
While I can't speak for myself as I am 46, one of my best friends had hers just over 2 years ago when she was 51. She's a bigger gal but came through her TAH/BSO with flying colours - I'm jealous as she was more comfortable sitting longer periods and was driving before I was! She was also very lucky in that she dodged any menopausal symptoms. She says she felt instant relief from the pressure of her fibroid, and loves that she doesn't have to pack girl stuff for trips! As for me - overall I too have experienced the relief of pressure and discomfort - and so far, knock wood, the surgical menopause is pretty much a non- issue.
Good luck - no doubt you will get some good replies from these awesome sisters.

Tracy
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM

I am 55 and had TAH/BSO - 7" vertical abdominal incision 10 weeks ago....
All went well through surgery....I stayed in hospital 3 days....
a lot of pain the first week (pain pills sure helped) then took it easy and listened to my body. If I over did it some days, I would pay for it the following days.....still experiencing some soreness in abdomen, incision healed well.....went back to work part time at 7 weeks following the 7 week follow-up vist. Don't have to go back until 6 mo. for follow-up.
You will do fine....Dr. says recovery can take up to 12-14 weeks for life to get back "to normal"....I get very tired, still but then I rest.

Good luck, this site is wonderful for questions or to just plain vent!!!!
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Hi,
I'm 56 and I had my SAH in December. This is week 8 for me and everything is pretty much back to normal. My hysterectomy was for a fibroid that was growing and my doctor was afraid it was cancer. I was already in menopause and I didn't have any symptoms from the fibroid.

I'm back at work full time now and feeling like my old self I was cleared for everything except weight training at week 6 and I'm almost back in my pre-op exercise routine except for the weights. Sex is back to normal too

I still have a bit of a swelly belly but since I lost 5 lbs after the surgery, all of my clothes fit great. It does seem more difficult for the younger women in some ways since they have the hormone issues to deal with.
Unread 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM

I had my SAH (kept ovaries) May 22, and turned 51 in July.

It went just fine. I hadn't had any symptoms...and was the proud owner of a 1.75 lb fibroid as it turned out!

Had surgery Tuesday morning, went home to my mom's on Thursday morning.

I have a sense of humour, which stayed intact. That helped. Also - a smile at the nurses, and three important phrases:

"What's your name?"

"Please."

"Thank you."

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:56 AM

I was 54 when I had my tah/bso with a bikini line incision. My surgery and recovery went pretty well. I did a have a few minor problems but my dr was great in listening and they were taken care of quickly. My advice is to listen to your dr and your own body. Go slow & easy, don't try to rush recovery.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 02-08-2008, 07:30 AM

I'm 54 and scheduled for next month. In pretty good shape, so I am hoping for a relatively easy recovery. On the other hand, I have never had surgery before (never even broken a bone) so I may be being naive...
Unread 02-08-2008, 07:41 AM

Hi,
I'm 50, had prolapse, pain, rectocele & cystocele. I was still having my cycles regularily but severe cramps. Surgery went better than I'd expected and I'm healing wonderfully. My 'extras' - to fix the above take longer to heal, so it's a bit hard to be patient, but I'm ecstatic. Realized all the back pain & not sleeping more than 4 hours laying down was because of all the probs. I slept a full 8 hours last night and woke refreshed.
Even though I'm still healing, my stress incontinence is gone, sleeping better, NO PERIOD or cramps, had my 1st painless pelvic exam (in my life!!).

I still have ovaries, not sure if they're in shock but not having extremes emotionally. I will never regret that I've done this!! I had an experienced Dr that is a Uro-Gyn (due to repairs).

Feel free to email me thru the site if you have any more questions!
Unread 02-08-2008, 07:56 AM

I had a TAH/BSO on Jan 31.. I am 54yrs old. I ended up with a vert. incision because the gyn/onc wanted to see more, but other than when I over do (and you will know when you do it) I feel pretty good. Just finished week one and staples come out today.. I have cooked dinner several times with my DH getting everything out for me (pots/pans) heavy items... I have sorted laundry, (he carries it) and I even went on a very short trip to the farm stand. I would say getting into/out of bed is the worst thing and even that is getting easier... Good luck to you.
Unread 02-08-2008, 08:51 AM

I am 52, had surgery 9 weeks ago. Had 2 c-sections in my 30s with a very easy recovery but was concerned prior to this surgery that because I was 16 years older it would be more difficult. The recovery from this surgery went well and was pretty easy too (tho NOT as easy as the c-sections, but I think that part of that is due to the fact that the c-section is a different surgery). Was back to work part-time at 4 wks but I wouldn't advise that. When they say it is a 6 to 8 week recovery, it really is. Even when you start to feel great you still get tired easily. But if you follow directions, take care of yourself, don't overdo it, let others help you, you'll be fine through recovery. Any time that I choose to do too much I paid for it physically the next day. I could be wrong but one thing I've noticed from reading posts on this site is that the ease of recovery doesn't seem to be 100% linked to age or the type of hysterectomy one has. There are some younger women who have a much more difficult time recovering and also some women who have less invasive surgeries than abdominal that have more difficult recoveries.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.