HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Post-op gas pain Post-op gas pain

Unread 02-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Post-op gas pain

I've read over and over on this site from those who have had the procedure that this is often times the worst experience for them. What causes the gas and what's the best remedy? Is there something I should be asking for right after surgery or is there something I can take to the hospital to help alleviate the gas pains?
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Post-op gas pain

I didn't find gas pains to be untolerable - but my doctor gave me Gas-X as part of my medication. I also had some waiting for me at home. When I felt it coming on I took the strips immediately.

Check with your doctor prior to your surgery. Gas pains can be awful. The nurses also told me not to drink water or anything else with a straw, that adds to the gas.
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Post-op gas pain

Hi Hollyanne, my gas pain was so bad I could hardly move. The gas is caused by the air they put into the cavity to see. It puts pressure on your diaphram so it can shoot pain up the nerves into the shoulder area, heart area... I could barely move without extreme pain. I had a hysterectomy by Davinci. I am not sure if this is a different "air" experience. They told me nothing could be done to stop the gas pain, just time. But just knowing what the pain is will help tolerate and know that it does go away. It took about 4 days and then about three weeks to not notice. But it will go away.
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Post-op gas pain

I had a tah with a bikini line incision. I did have gas but not as bad as some. I started walking the day after my surgery and that helped a lot with getting rid of the gas. My dr also advised me on taking MaaloxGas. Ask your dr what he/she recommends and be sure to tell the hospital staff if you plan on taking your own meds with you. Be cautious, don't take anything without prior approval. You never know what might cause reactions.

S
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Post-op gas pain

yes, walking was the best remedy to get rid of the gas. Although it hurt to move, it helped!
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Post-op gas pain

Alot of air gets inside you during abdominal surgery. My doctor explained this as sort of blowing me up like a balloon. My gas pain was the worst of all. I had very little pain otherwise, just soreness. I used Gas-X strips, but I am not sure if they really helped or not. Walking seemed to do the trick and after 4 or 5 days post op, I was not bothered by the gas any longer. I think after you start having bm's and passing gas, the pains are less...for the first few days, my gas just kind of went around and around. Really for me, this was the worst part of surgery, and it's unpleasant for sure, but not all that bad. Hope that was helpful!
Jill

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.