HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can get physically aroused but no desire...what's going on? Can get physically aroused but no desire...what's going on?

Unread 02-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Angry - Can get physically aroused but no desire...what's going on? Can get physically aroused but no desire...what's going on?

I'm about 7 months out of my surgery, HPV dysplasia...lost everything.....taking everything I can get my hands on to help with the sexual problems. Taking estrogen, testosterone and progesterone.....Dr. says blood tests look good but I'm still not getting any urges for sex. Funny thing is I can see I'm getting physically aroused (can't feel it though) but not mentally....what the heck is that? Almost like nothing is hooked up anymore. My fiance is very sweet but I've gone from a very healthy sex drive to none at all. No dreams or anything....my doctor and I are stumped....any clues on what to try next. My doctor wanted to send me to a shrink.......

Jeanne
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Can get physically aroused but no desire...what's going on?

I don't want to depress you but I had my op 18 years ago and that "not hooked" up feeling is still there. It's like driving a car when the excelerator cable is not working. The engine is still there, the pedal is there to push but nothing connects between. I get the urge, but not mentally, no pictures. I have the most uncomfortable pressure that needs to be relieved with no manner of relieving it. I take HRT and all the vitamins going. It seems to be worse if the ovaries are removed. I had everything removed too. sorry I couldn't be more helpful but if you hear of a way around it, let me know.
Unread 05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Can get physically aroused but no desire...what's going on?

I am so sorry to hear so many people have the same problem I do. I am 3 years post hysterectomy. I kept my ovaries, so when my sex drive started going away, I didn't think it could be due to my hormones. Now, after reading many, many posts on this site, I see that it CAN be a hormonal problem. Thanks to the many recommendations I have read, I have contacted a compounding pharmacy near me and they will be sending me a list of physicians that use their services. My own ob/gyn only tested my FSH/LH levels with worthless results, and my own regular doctor just told me that low libido in women is the most common complaint she hears about and gave me the name of a therapist! I tried the therapist by the way - didn't help my sex drive.

I have never had a really strong libido, but at least I was always able to 'get in the mood'. Not now, though. I've been wondering if my hormones have been messed up my entire life - I certainly had 'female' problems my whole life - which is why I had the hysterectomy! I couldn't live with the pain and the bleeding and the fatigue another day - I was losing so many days of my life to lying in bed writhing in pain. I've also struggled with depression - never was it suggested to me to have my hormones checked though......

I have to do something fast. My husband has reached the end of his patience, and I am reaching the end of mine as well. It is a terrible thing to have to pretend to want to have sex with someone you truly love when there is absolutely no desire involved. I am worn out and sad from the struggle. We've been married almost 25 years and I am so, so sad to think my husband might leave me because of this.

I appreciate this forum very much. Before my surgery and afterwards, I got many questions answered and felt reassured by everyone else's experiences. Thank you all for your candor. If I find some 'cure' that really helps me, I will certainly let everyone know.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.