With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and this is my first time posting.
I recently made the big decision to have a hysterectomy. Now the question is whether to keep my cervix or have it removed. I feel pretty clear about keeping my ovaries, but the cervix question is stumping me. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
While the decision to have and hysterectomy is understandably hard, it is often harder to decide whether or not to keep the ovaries and/or the cervix.
I no longer have my cervix, since I had a vaginal hysterectomy and that involves removing the cervix.
If you do a "Search" on "cervix", you will find that this issue is discussed fairly regularly and will hopefully find an answer to your question. You can also check the Pull-Down Menus available at the bottom of the Hyster Sisters Home Page, specifically the "Ladies in Waiting" section, where this question, among others, is discussed.
Wishing you the best of luck in your quest for answers.
This decisions are very hard! I agree with Dany, try a search and see what other other women here have felt about their own decisions.
Then sit down with your doctor, and have him/her review all the pro's and con's of keeping or losing your cervix as they apply to YOUR particular situation. Then you can weigh your choices in a fully informed way.
I had TAH/BSO, with everything gone. I feel good about my decision, and not having my cervix has not had an adverse effect on my sexual response (which is a big fear for many of us). I will continue to have regular PAP tests anyway, just to be safe.
It's a tough call...but get all your facts lined up and then go with your gut. You'll make the right choice for YOU!
Thank you Dany, KarenL, and bodo for your responses. You each gave me helpful hints.
Sorry it took so long to reply, but I've been busy alternating between doing research and freaking out. Ultimately, I believe I've made a decision that I'm relatively comfortable with. I've come to the opposite conclusion I originally had, and it was in large part due to the information I found while searching this website. I'm grateful to have found out about the possibility of light bleeding if cervix is kept. I talked with my doctor again and decided to let it go, too. Maybe now I can rest a little. Thanks again!