HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Dissolvable suture outside of belly button incision...normal? Dissolvable suture outside of belly button incision...normal?

Unread 02-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Dissolvable suture outside of belly button incision...normal?

Hi Ladies-

I had a lap. BSO on Jan 22nd. I'm healing well but my belly button incision has 3 dissolvable sutures sticking out. It looks like my skin is fully healed around it. I don't remember this from my 4 other lapaoscopies. I noticed the sutures sticking out b/c they were catching on my clothes. I trimmed them b/c the skin is healing fine but i wonder if the will go away or if they have to be cut away since they are outside of my body.

I will cal my doctor's office but thought i'd see if any of you have had this problem after a laparoscopy.

Thanks!
Tera
LBSO 1/22/08 for endo
LSH 7/06 for endo, adeno,
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM

I had the same thing on 2 of my incisions. My dr. did not seem concerned and said they would fall off. They did about 2.5 weeks post-op. I never picked at them though. I was always afraid of reopening something.
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Thanks! That helps. I had my hubby look closely with a flashlight and he said the skin is healed and he can see the knot where they are all 3 tied together. I assume as the skin continues to heal the knot will just fall off.

Will keep you posted.
Thanks again!
Tera
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:44 PM

That is funny. I too had my hubby take a look. I thought my eyes must be playing tricks on me. I was horrified as in my case, these were internal and I had dermabond on the outside. After speaking with the doctor, I felt a lot better and MUCH better when they did indeed fall out.
Unread 02-11-2008, 11:08 PM

I had this happen to me as well. My doctor pulled them up and trimmed them 3 weeks post op. Two of them pulled right out with his tweezers and it was not painful at all. The other remained about another 2 weeks and I just gave it a little tug and it fell off.
Unread 02-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Yes, the dissolvable stitches on the belly button are normal. I had an exploratory laparascoopy on Jan 3, which led to my TAHBSO on Feb 12. I STILL have the dissolvable stitches and actually asked my surgeon to cut them off during the TAH. Well, long story short, they are still there so I guess I will ask again in my post-op appointment.

Good Luck!
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:41 PM
complication from dissolvable suture

Hi Ladies!

I thought i'd update you on my condition.

I was the person who wrote the original thread about the dissolvable suture. I thought all was ok until a few days ago.

My belly button incision started to get red and irritated. I called my doc. for the 2nd time and they told me to try to pull out the suture or to pull it out enough to cut below the ball (where the 3 sutures were tied together).

I went home and the sutures pulled right out BUT the redness and irritation kept getting worse.

Long story short, I developed cellulitis, which is an infection in the inner layers of the skin. Lukily i work in health care so i knew what to watch for and called my doc right away.

They got me in and prescribed an antibiotic to kill the infection. After 24 hrs, i had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and had to switch.

yikes! today i'm feeling a little better but this has prolonged my recovery.

I hope all of you are more lucky than me

Tera
LSH 2006
LBSO 1/22/08
endo, adeno, adhesions, pain
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to me! (except for the antibiotic reaction...) I had read here of so many issues ladies were having, and I felt like such a wimp complaining about my belly button. It was almost funny, but it really got irritated. I feel so lucky that was the only post-op problem I had, but I'm glad I had it checked out. Nothing is too small
  Quote:
Originally Posted by tfig
Hi Ladies!

I thought i'd update you on my condition.

I was the person who wrote the original thread about the dissolvable suture. I thought all was ok until a few days ago.

My belly button incision started to get red and irritated. I called my doc. for the 2nd time and they told me to try to pull out the suture or to pull it out enough to cut below the ball (where the 3 sutures were tied together).

I went home and the sutures pulled right out BUT the redness and irritation kept getting worse.

Long story short, I developed cellulitis, which is an infection in the inner layers of the skin. Lukily i work in health care so i knew what to watch for and called my doc right away.

They got me in and prescribed an antibiotic to kill the infection. After 24 hrs, i had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and had to switch.

yikes! today i'm feeling a little better but this has prolonged my recovery.

I hope all of you are more lucky than me

Tera
LSH 2006
LBSO 1/22/08
endo, adeno, adhesions, pain

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.