HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Why now? Vaginal cuff abscess Why now? Vaginal cuff abscess

Unread 02-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Why now? Vaginal cuff abscess

I am 10days out from LAVH surgery(also had left ovary removed) and on day 7 i was in horrific pain. Spent 8 hrs in th ER before the sent me home with meds for a bladder infection that they said i didnt have. Will we know now that I have a vaginal cuff abscess and may have to go back into the hospital to have this fixed. I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else. My Dr(who I LOVE) said that it normally happens about 2 to 3 days after surgery. I was fine up until day 7. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and God Bless and speedy recovery to all!!!
Unread 02-14-2008, 06:56 AM

(((miss_tink)))
I'm sorry you're going through this. This sound so painful. I didn't have one, but I know there are members around who have. I added to your title a bit in hopes of attracting their attention. I know if you do a search on vaginal abscess you'll find threads where it has been discussed.
I hope this can be cleared up easily and you'll soon be feeling better. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 02-14-2008, 07:20 AM

Hi Miss Tink,
I had the same thing happen. Exactly one week post op I was miserable, shivering violently, thought it was a bladder infection, and went to the Urgent Care Clinic. They treated me for UTI, did a CT and culture, and sent me home. Two days later, they called and said I needed to go see my surgeon because the culture had come back positive for a post op infection. After a miserable exam, doc said it was an infection of the vaginal cuff.

I was fortunate in that mine was draining via the vaginal canal and not staying internal, which is an abscess, (how in the heck am I supposed to know what normal/abnormal drainage is!!) So I probably wasn't in as much pain as you were. It takes about three days of antibiotics before you start feeling better. I'm told I'll feel significantly better once I'm off the strong antibiotics too. I was also given an internal antibiotic to use. It took a couple of days to figure out how to put it in without getting the applicator hung up on stitches going in, (I also have an anterior repair.) I started the big guns antibiotics on Friday and am feeling a LOT better, but still not feeling even close to great. It takes a lot of time and I think a post op infection sets us back to square one on recovery.
Hang in there, we will get better!!
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Hi Ladies~

I also had a vaginal cuff infection. I don't want to scare you, but I do want you to take this very seriously and ENSURE it fully clears up. I had 2 CT scans to follow the progress of mine. I felt great and both my Dr and I thought it was behind me. Well fast forward a couple of months to last week and I underwent emergency surgery for 2 abdominal abcess's where I had a hip to hip incision and also lost my tubes, ovaries, appendix and had extensive bowel repair.

I don't know what I would have done differently except maybe really press my Dr to ensure it was gone. My set-back has been devastating and am starting my recovery over again. I hope by sharing my story not to scare you but to work closely with your Dr to ensure a healthy outcome.

BTW - I did not have discharge so I do believe my infection was interior. Maybe the draining ones are easier to overcome.

Hugs,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM

I was just wondering if you run a fever with that? What other symptoms did you have? I'm already taking flagyl for a different infection, but started having horrible pain in lower abdomen yesterday. I'm not sure there is something wrong or it's just because I'm trying to move more.
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM

I didn't have a fever, but I was taking 500mgs of Naproxen morning and night so that probably prevented it, plus I don't think I've had a fever in my adult life. What I did have was shaking, or shivers, so bad I could hardly drink water from a cup with two hands. I was hot, then cold, then hot, and never stopped shaking. I don't know how the doctor did the exam because my knees were all over the place. I felt like death warmed over too, like I had the flu or something, but no congestion or cough. Like I said, mine was draining so not an actual abscess, but still an infection. I imagine the abscess would be WAY more painful, but the rest of the symptoms the same. Oh yea, I also felt like there was a hot spot inside me. You couldn't see or feel heat from the outside, but I felt like there was a hot coal smouldering in my gut.
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Starbgirl! It sounds like your abscess ruptured, what a mess! I'm glad they were able to do something about it in time, you wouldn't have been the first person to actually die from that. You must be tough as nails!
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:10 PM

Wendy,

I'm grateful to be here too! I was already septic when I got to my Dr. It all happened so fast. My Dr let me know I was a lucky girl also.

Good luck and take care of yourself!!

Starbgirl
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM

I just wanted to thank all of you for ur support and ur comments they have helped. I do have a fever that comes and goes and it kinda feels like the flu. One minute i am freezing and the next i am burning up. Went to the DR today and she thinks that i might be getting better(I dont) and gave me a different pain med to try. So now i have Oxycodone, Vistral and Vicodone, plus the 2 antibotics that i have to take. So, since i really havent been sleeping she sent me home to take the new meds and to get some sleep and wants me to check in with her tomorrow and see how i do over the weekend with a few days of meds in me. So we will just have to see. I do trust my Dr and she has been great. Thanks again for all the support and I will keep u updated. And for SJMB1991 call ur DR. if u already have something and then the pain got worse something else could be happing. And no question is a dumb question considering it is ur body and u are the one in pain.
Hope all goes well,
Speedy Recovery to all and God Bless.
Sorry this is so long but then again I am a talker.LOL
Unread 02-14-2008, 04:34 PM

Yes I just got out of the hospital with this. I was a little over 1 week post op and thought I had caught the flu or a virus. I was shivering cold, sweating and a fever of 102 that would go down and come back up. Went to the ER and they kepted me for 3 days. Got home yesterday. I was on IV anitbotics. They did a CT and said I had fluid in my pelvic area. My WBC was 23,000 and normal is 10,000. It came down to 14,900 after the first IV. I am now home on 875mg of Antibotics and go to the doctor on Monday. Becareful ladies this seems to happen to alot of us.

I am now having brown discharge anyone familiar with this?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.