Biest Maybe Not Enough? | No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Biest Maybe Not Enough? Biest Maybe Not Enough?

Unread 02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Biest Maybe Not Enough?

Just when I think I'm getting balanced. I am taking Bioidenticals, Biest 1.25 twice a day, Progesterone 50mg 1 in the morning and 2 at night, Testosterone 2mg cap was taking 1 in morning upped it to 2, DHEA 5 mg 1 a day and Cortisol 2 in morning. I feel like I'm not on enough estrogen but my physician assistant argues with me and says estrogen is finel. Did saliva and my estrogen level was at 2.0 which they wsay is in range. Well she doesn't live in my body. I've been on this regemine for 1 month, I have started the bad achiness again, (its never completely gone away), have no libido, and not sleeping well. Have been taking bhrt for about 3-4 months. I have stopped the progestrone for now cause I know that can bind the estrogen. Is that correct? Seems like I take 1 step forward and 2 steps backward. When the dr. started me on this program she began with Progesterone only and I think thats what has me so messed up cause I don't have ovaries. Does anyone have any info that can help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Biest Maybe Not Enough?

What did your other levels show? Or did they only check estrogen? What type of estrogen did they test? What were the ranges? Were your testosterone and free testerone levels tested? Sorry for all the questions, but there is much more than just estrogen, in fact there are 3 estrogens; estradiol, estriol and estrone. Than add in progesterone and testosterone and we have a very delicate balance.

Have you ever had bloodwork to check your levels? I don't know what the 2.0 is and know that different labs can have different values, but I have never seen a 2.0 in relation to estrogen levels.

Another thing comes to mind in that you are using DHEA AND testosterone. DHEA is a testosterone precursor so not sure that using both is a good idea. I'm not an expert on that, just doesn't sound right if you are still having problems.

Maybe it's time for a second opinion or to talk directly with your physician instead of your physician's assistant.

Unread 02-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Biest Maybe Not Enough?

I'm sorry my Estradiol was 2.0 which the ZRT lab says optimal is 1.5-3.5. My Pg/E2 was 48Low which is out of range I think that is Progesterone to Estrogen ratio. My Progesterone is 96 which is in range. My testosterone was 15L out of range. My Dhea was low and my cortisol was low. They are treating me for possible adrenal fatigue. I had blood work about 6-8 weeks after my surgery and that's when she just put me on progesteron, thinking that my body may create its own estrogen? well that never happened. I am a very thin person (at that time I was down to 108) Normally weigh 119. I have put my weight back on but I'm still thin and I think I read that thinner people may require more estrogen. I also try to work out at least once a week so that could be using my estrogen too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Biest Maybe Not Enough?

I had a simular experience with Bi-Est started at 2.5 once a day and upped it to twice a day I didn't feel like I was getting enough estrogen. So I went back to estradiol and now I am feeling better. I was getting 1mg of estradiol on the higher bi-est dosage I feel like I need more estradiol now on 1 1/2 a day maybe will up it to 2mg a day.
I also did the saliva testing through the compounding pharmacy before I tried the bi-est they recommended. I came out too high on estradiol but I feel better on the estradiol doesn't make much sence. I guess the testing is a tool you have to go by how you feel. The testing did help me with my progesterone and testosterone levels though.
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Biest Maybe Not Enough?

I have had blood labs for estrogen and comes back way low, which is correct since Im having severe low symptoms, well-just had my saliva done and it came back way high? no way....i would get your blood labs done and forget this saliva stuff...
Unread 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Biest Maybe Not Enough?

srphil,
I'm not sure that doing bloodwork at 6-8 weeks post op is very helpful. It takes the body a long time to recover from surgery and settle down hormonally. It can be true that thin people need more estrogen. It was true for me in the beginning. My personal experience was that my body needed more estrogen in the beginning, for about the first two years post op. After that, I was able to gradually tweak my doseage downward a bit.

I have heard of adrenal fatigue, was diagnosed with that in the early days. Cortisol was one of my problems. I am trying to remember what we did I think that is when my doc started me on some supplements.

It seems like you have started many things at one time, which can make it difficult to know what is helping and what is not. Have you thought about getting a second opinion and perhaps retested via bloodwork? Saliva tests aren't always that accurate.

Unread 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Biest Maybe Not Enough?

I just hate to think of spending more money going to another dr. Thid onecost a fortune to get started. I was started on progesterone only when I first started seeing this dr. and then after some time of still not sleeping and having mood swings & hot flashes she added biest but at a very low dose. I just this last month added the Testosterone, Cortisol, DHEA because all of that came back low on my saliva test. I think for now I will just try tweaking my estrogen myself and then let her know how I feel. Because she does like to go by feeling more than testing but she is just real cautious about giving too much estrogen but if a person needs it then they have to have it to feel good. I'm going to give it one more month and if things don't get better then I am going to look for another dr. who does bioidenticals.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register