HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What is vaginal packing? What is vaginal packing?

Unread 02-21-2008, 05:10 AM
What is vaginal packing?

I did have the vaginal packing, I didn't know anything at all about it until they pulled it out, it didn't hurt, and I didn't have to ask to see it I could see it and it was totally covered with blood.

I did have to have repairs done in addition to things being removed.

I had to stay an extra day in the hosp. due to the fact that the first time they removed the cathator I couldn't go so they had to put it pack in and keep me another day, The next morning a male nurse came in and told me that he was on duty for my room, however because of what had to be done he was going to trade ? with one of the female nurses, he said he was sure I would be more comfortable with her doing such. That was very nice of him considering he did not have to do that because I also would be very uncomfortable with a male nurse doing such. My hubby stayed with me at the hosp. my whole stay and I don't thing he would have liked that either.

Tammy
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:50 AM
What is vaginal packing?

I'm glad most people don't seem to have pain from the removal of the packing. I don't know why I had such bad luck though I also had a huge sore just outside the opening. When I asked the surgeon about it, he pretended he didn't see it and changed the subject real fast. I know he saw it because it was the first think the ER doc asked about! I'm guessing there was some kind of fumble in the O.R. that no one wants to be blamed for. As long as everything else went well, I can live with it. Docs are human after all, but an apology would have been nice!
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:24 AM
What is vaginal packing?

That doesn't sound very professional of the doctor, Wendy. I guess he is afraid of being sued. I think that is why they never allude to any mistakes at all. Yes, he is only human and no one wants to admit that he screwed up, especially if it causes someone to have extra pain.

Kay
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM
What is vaginal packing?

I had a TVH the first time with no repairs and I did have the packing. My Dr said I bled alot during surgery so maybe that is why. It did have alot of blood when they removed it and I bled alot after, but it didn't hurt at all to come out.

Starbgirl
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:26 AM
What is vaginal packing?

I had a TVH with no repairs and I did have packing and I HURT when it was removed less then 24 hours after surgery. I'm not a wimp but I also wished I had been prepared for it to feel that way. I'm on day 2 of half days back to school(I'm also a teacher) and I am so tired and have a headache that won't quit! Now I am sounding like a wimp!!!!!
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM
What is vaginal packing?

Thanks for the post, I was beginning to think I was nuts for thinking it hurt to have the packing taken out!

You aren't a wimp, I couldn't teach half a day right now if my life depended on it! My mother is a retired teacher so I know how much goes into it. I can barely keep up with home schooling one!
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
What is vaginal packing?

I also had repairs done and had packing. My Dr. took it out the next morning, I must say I was bracing for the pain, after all it sounds painful. For me it was over and I didn't feel anything.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.