HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Burning, tearing sensation in lower left abdomen Burning, tearing sensation in lower left abdomen

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Burning, tearing sensation in lower left abdomen

Hello,
I had my TAH on Feb.11,2008. I made the decision to have the surgery because I had 2 fibroids and excessive bleeding. I first chose to have HER OPTION first but after 4 months I knew it didn't work for me. I am recovering okay but with one big question.! I am experiencing a burning, almost a tearing sensation in my lower left abdomen. It usually occurs when I try to stand up. Dr. says it is a nerve (in the fascia) probably pinched when being sutured. He assures me it will go away. I completely trust this Dr.,as I have known him for 15 years or so. But last night was the worst, it wouldn't subside for about half an hour. Does anyone here know of what I am talking about? How do I handle the pain???? Thank you in advance!
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Hi
I haven't experienced that, but I have found that cold packs give me a lot of pain relief. Have you tried one?
Deb
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Hi sleepyhude,

I don't know if this is exactly what you are experiencing, but I get a burning sensation quite often in my lower abdomen. Sometimes it's not too bad and I can handle it. But, there are times where it's just awful and no matter how I sit or lay down, i can't get comfortable. I was also told this is the nerves "waking up" and repairing themselves. I wasn't told it was a pinched nerve....but what i'm feeling might be different than what you are.

But, I definitely get a burning sensation. I don't think I get a "tearing" sensation, but i definitely get these pulling sensations where I feel like sometimes something is being pulled inside of me, and when I feel that, I just keep moving into a different position until I no longer feel that.

When the burning sensation gets to a point to where I just cannot feel comfortable, even laying down still, that is when I take a Percocit, and then I feel better.

This past week, I have been taking 2 Percocit in a 24 hour period, and I will say it is that burning sensation that prompts me to take the Percocit.

I haven't had to take a Percocit yet this morning, which is really good and encouraging to me. I do feel the burning sensation even right now, but it's mild right now, so I am doing OK.

I think this burning sensation is normal...

Take care,
Kathy
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the fast post! Nope, I havent't tried cold packs. I didn't think to use them, just been using pain meds for the most part. The burning pain only occurs with certain movements and usually subsides until last night. Ithink I will try the packs though. Thanks!!!
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Thanks Kathy,
Yes, I believe we are experiencing the same thing. I thought maybe I was being paranoid because I now have nerve damage in my right foot after 2 surgeries and it also involves burning sensations. Lol, they aren't quite the same I know. But it seems DH and DS(3) and others say the pain is in my head. I just needed someone to validate my symptoms. You have made me feel soo much better. I also really only take meds when I cannot tolerate the burning.
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm so glad to hear you all say you have had this! My doctor told me to expect some itching in the muscles, but never mentioned burning. The burning started within a day or two of getting home and seemed to worsen the more I stood up and moved around. I called the doctor and the nurse's answer was "that's all normal". It sure didn't feel normal so I'm glad to hear you all say you had it! I'm two weeks out now and the burning has definitely decreased but still reappears in the evening.
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:57 AM

I am sooo glad I found this website. In fact I found it last nite while trying to deal with the burning pain @ 3:00 a.m.!!! I also apologize for posting on the wrong thread with questions. I have been a little foggy lately and didn't scroll further on the page with instructions. I am also trying to get used to a new laptop. Boy are the keys closer together or what??? lol
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Too funny! People at my job have laughed at me b/c I thought I would be doing all kinds of work from home during recovery, but darn it that laptop is heavy! I've tried putting it in my lap, on the bed next to me, on a table... nothing feels convenient. Now that I'm two weeks out I am sitting at a table working on it for a few hours each day. Hang in there..... It will get better. It has to, right? :-)
Unread 02-21-2008, 01:50 PM

My family bought me a laptop for Christmas knowing the surgery was in my future. It is heavy .Couldn't even use it until post op day 4. I'm standing at the kitchen counter using my laptop. My body seems to like that position for about 20 min today. Post op day 6. Good luck.
Unread 02-21-2008, 03:20 PM

Hi, I have the same thing. Yesterday was 5 weeks since my total hysterectomy. My new best friend is a heating pad. I really notice the pain when I sit upright too long or am on my feet for too long. Laying down for a while with the heating pad really helps. Can't wait until next week!!! Hopefully I will be given the OK to drive. I'm about to go crazy being so dependant on others to help me. Take care, this is really an ordeal isn't it?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway