HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Burning, tearing sensation in lower left abdomen Burning, tearing sensation in lower left abdomen

Unread 03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Burning, tearing sensation in lower left abdomen

Hey girls, I'm 3 years post op and remember very well, be careful how you pull yourself up out of bed/couch/chair. I used a heating pad and took ibupropen. Thing is, 3 years in and I still have those tweeks of pain, bearable but something about those nerves being cut I guess.
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Burning pain

Hi...I had my total hyster on 21.2.08. Been home one week and one day. I get a burning pain on my left side (low). Have to go back to my gynae on 12.3.08....A friend who had a partial hyster a year ago said she used to get that pain too. That is the main pain I get. When I get it, I have to take pain killers. Although I think I am getting better every day, that pain does bother me and I have been assuming it is normal. When I was in the hospital the nurse told me that when the doctors operate they lean on one part of you, and that was probably also where they did a lot of the work, (I had some of my uterus adhered to my bowel etc.) So I don't know about nerves, but I will ask my doc when I see him. It comes and goes, sometimes worse when I walk around. I am finding I still am spending a lot of time in bed, and can only manage an hour or so up and about? The mind is working overtime, making me feel like I will never feel normal again, (mind you at least I'm not flooding and bleeding like I was before the op).
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:24 AM

Dharma:
You are still in the very early stages of healing... I actually found out that my week 3 was probably the worst. I think we start to feel better, do to much of something and then go backwards a few steps... I just started week 5 and still get occasional twinges (yesterday in particular) but I had family down over the weekend and did not get in my usual naps... Take heart... it does get better.
Unread 03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
burning pain

Thanks..it's so good to see that other women have had the same problem. Even though Iused to be a nurse, and thought I knew what to expect, I obviously didn't. Realising that other women are/or have experienced the same issues is great. I can't believe the number of people who tell me, "but I know someone and after 6 weeks they were fine!!"I almost feel they think I am exaggerating. As I had a hysteroscopy, then a few days later got a massive endometrial/uterine infection, which apparently nearly killed me (the same that women 100 years ago got, and died from after childbirth), and then a reportable gastric bug 4 days before the op, I think we all recover at different times. Both my gynae's and the micro-biologist told me if I could (which I have) to give up work for now, as my recovery would be longer than normal due to these other complications. I amso glad I found this site, with real women who are experiencing different things, and are happy to share them with everyone. You have no idea, that last night, when I had the burning pain, that I just went to bed and told myself to relax and rest, and that it was all part of it. So once again, thanks to everyone!!! And good luck. We will get there.
Unread 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma
Thanks..it's so good to see that other women have had the same problem. Even though Iused to be a nurse, and thought I knew what to expect, I obviously didn't. Realising that other women are/or have experienced the same issues is great. I can't believe the number of people who tell me, "but I know someone and after 6 weeks they were fine!!"I almost feel they think I am exaggerating. .
I know exactly what you mean! I went to pick up my daughter tonight and one of her preschool teachers said, "You're still moving slow? Wow! I had a c-section when I had my son and I was moving around great after three weeks!" I attempted to tell her that c-section is not equal to a TAH/BSO, but gave up. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, but it is hard not to question my progress when someone else questions it. I'm glad to hear other people are hearing these things too. Having this website to refer to has been keeping me sane!
Unread 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM

I have had sooooo many women tell me that its the same as having a C-section and you'll recover just fine. Having a TAH/BSO is definitely not the same as a C-section. I will be 7 weeks post op tomorrow and am still having pain, slow moving and tired at the end of the day.
W
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Well after reading all these posts I am soooo sorry that everyone is having this type of pain but so relieved that I am not alone. I am going to be 6 weeks post op tomorrow and I am going bananas. My abdominal burn didn't start until 4 weeks post op. All of my burning was in my rear and perineum since that is where I was cut, but now I don't have enough hands to hold the burning places. I went for a walk tonight and I couldn't walk without hold my butt and belly. What a sight. I don't know to laugh or cry. I thought by now I would have been back on my feet but if I am up for more then one hour at a time, I burn and pinch on the lower right side as well as my butt and front end. I agree with the suggestions of hot and cold. I found that the laptop on my belly puts out enough heat to give me relief. I also use hot rice packs. in the micro that I heat up and put it where ever the burn is. I keep thinking about sticking an ice stick up my butt for relief. I tried lidocane, MOM and Hemorrhoid ointment. Sitz baths have helped and so has hot showers. But nothing works very long. Getting up from the sofa is the worst. And I have done pilates for years and still I have this burning and pinching in my lower abdomen, when I get up. Standing and walk makes it worse and I am wanting so much to start back with exercise so I don't loose my muscle tone. Has any of the old timers exercised with this type of pain. Did it make it worse? I am thinking that if I start back with exercise I will build up and be able to work through the pain. Sitting around with not much to do is really hard. Thanks so much for helping me keep my sanity!
Karen
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:38 PM

I've had this burning sensation now for over 2 weeks now, and it has not gotten better. I am starting to wonder when it will get better....

TMFT -- sorry to hear you're at 6 weeks and still have this burning sensation... I'm 4 weeks post-op. I HOPE I won't have this burning that long... but since it's not getting better, it makes me wonder.

Well, I go to my post-op in 1 1/2 weeks. If I still have the burning then, I'll hopefully find out from my doc is it's normal to have it this long, and how much longer to expect it! It is starting to get old!
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:31 AM

I also have this feeling on my lower left side. I have had two laproscopy surgery's in the past and had a similiar feeling around my belly button where they insert and move the camera around. I was told then by my Dr. the feeling was from all the cutting and manipulation in the area, and it did go away both times but it did take awhile. The second time was easier and less noticeable because I was familiar with it.

This pain is the same now but much much worse, if that makes sense. I have been rubbing the area with no relief, but I keep doing it. I have also used a ice pack on the area at the end of the day because it seems to get a little more swelly on the left side.

It has also come across my mind that most Dr.'s are probably right handed so that would be the side where they are working from and putting the most pressure on your body, But that is only my theory, my DH laughed at me for that one. So next week I am going to ask the Dr about it while my DH is present and I bet it does have something to do with why we all feel something on that left side.

I will post back with Dr.'s reply, happy healing

Michelle
TAH, Oophectomy left Ovary
Unread 03-05-2008, 03:02 AM

Michelle:
I will definitely be looking to see your post... I thought it was just my imagination... I would have thought my right side would hurt more cause thats where most of the lymph nodes came from but it is definitely my left about 2" 45 degrees down from my belly button.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway