HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

colon falling? colon falling?

Unread 02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
colon falling?

I have had several pelvic repairs and I am now in constant misery from the colon falling or twisting and nerve and adhesions problems. I want to feel better as this is causing affecting my life, but fear more surgery would make things even worse.

Is it your large or small colon causing problems?
Did your adhesion removals and enterocele repair help?
Did they do it with a laprascope?

Thanks for any info!
Unread 02-18-2008, 06:56 PM
colon falling?

FYI... the colon refers to the lower, or last, part of the large intestine, or bowel... there is no small colon.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=2787

The small intestine is several feet before the beginning of the large intestine, and the colon is at the end where it joins the rectum.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
colon falling?

oops I meant small intestine when I said small colon.
Thanks for correcting me.
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:59 PM
colon falling?

Yes, the enterocele repair got the bowel out of the vagina,
but I think that the bowel just moved to another place and is causing problems more toward the rectum. I have a lot of pressure there. I recently had another surgery to see if adhesions were continuing to cause problems, but was clean as a whistle in there. Sometimes it feels like the rectum doesn't come down in the canal at the posterior of the vagina, I am very familar with all of that in there. I do splint from time to time, and I can tell stool is stuck up high, and I can only feel tissue at the back of the vagina. When the stool comes down, I can feel the rectum. But, my doctor did a good job on the enterocele, it felt like a baby's head in my vagina, and that is gone, but just left with pain after a bm, and it is different every day, and some days are not so bad. This last surgery, the doctor said I have IC, and I am sure that is part of the pain, but I feel like the bowel is involved with a lot of it. It was the colon that the doctor told me was so long, and it probably does take up a lot of space down in the hole where the uterus was. But, the enterocele was painful and miserable, at least that is fixed. And, yes, they did it with a lap, all my surgeries, except the hyst, it was total vagina.
Unread 02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
colon falling?

slt
Thank you for the info.
I feel different everyday too, but things are definitely going downhill for me.
Several years ago I had a&p repair with vaginal suspension, the tension caused by the permanent sutures was causing my stool to stay stuck in my side so I had a surgery to remove the sutures. Now I have constant back and left sided pain from the enterocele and a severed nerve.
The enterocele is not really pushing down into my vagina but is coming down the side of the vagina. It is hard to diagnose.
I am terrified of a new surgery too, but this is ruining my life. I am petrified of more nerve damage.
Have you had many diagnostic tests done?
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
colon falling?

Now that is interesting about the sutures. I just had another lap to see if I had adhesions, but was clean as a whistle, but he did say he saw a suture in the cuff where the enterocele repair was done, but left it because he was afraid that it would undo something, and I haven't ask him anymore about that. Are they suppose to dissolve? I have the same symptoms you describe and I feel like my bowels are tangled up in there. Tell me how the sutures are affecting your bowels. I feel like I may have a rectocele but they never say so and the doc that did my enterocele repair said I didn't, but I feel like something is wrong in there. I have pain all day after a bm and have to take pain meds every day for it and I have had surgery after surgery. This last diagnosis in Dec. was that I have IC, and I may have, but I still say the pain is coming from my rectum or bowel.
I haven't had any of the bowel tests done yet, trying to pay off all this other stuff first, plus the thought of another surgery is dreadful, and what can they do?
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM
colon falling

slt,
They were permanent sutures. Now that they are gone the small intestine has prolapsed into the recto vaginal space. The GI doc I have seen has
mentioned a resection to fix the problem.
Removing the sutures did help my stool from getting so "stuck" in my side,
but I had ALOT of sutures and they were pulled really tight by the uterosacral ligaments. Unfortunately when they removed the sutures they had to cut a nerve that had been knotted into them. That has caused more diminished nerve function to the bowel and bladder. Now, even though I'm
having problems I am petrified of having more surgery.
Those of us who have multiple surgerys end up with so many complex problems that it is hard for the docs to diagnose them, even after all the tests they have us do.
Surgery is so much more damaging to the pelvic area than we are told, only later do we learn (on our own) how complex and delicate it all is.
I am trying to hold off as long as I can. Right now I am focusing on exercise
to try and optimize everthing that I may have that is still functioning. Everyday is different, I get depressed and then I have hope.
If I knew then what I know now, I would NEVER have had the a&p repair. It has caused more damage than I originally had to begin with.
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:31 AM
colon falling?

I do think part of my pain is the ligaments where they were attached to the cuff. Very often my whole hip area throbbs
after a bm, and the pain varies from day to day. I think once things are altered in there they just can't be right for some people. I also think there is probably inflammation going on most of the time. I will probably go to a colon/rectal doctor a little later, but for now I will just take my pain meds and try to work. I just don't know that anyone can do anything to help me, and the fear of further damage is overwhelming. I am so sorry for you also, hope things do get better.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.