HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Sharp pain in lower left abdomen when i move - anyone else? Sharp pain in lower left abdomen when i move - anyone else?

Unread 02-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Sharp pain in lower left abdomen when i move - anyone else?

Hi all -

My recovery so far has been going very well, but last night I had a bad experience and am worried. I fell asleep on the sofa, and when I woke up and started to get up to go to bed (at 4:00 am) I felt a sharp, almost stabbing pain in my lower left abdomen. It would almost be where an ovary used to live if I still had them.

I went upstairs to bed and fell asleep. THe pain goes away when I am very still, but as soon as I try to sit or stand, it comes back. I came downstairs (it does not hurt when i stand or walk) and made coffee, and now I am back on the couch.

If it were Monday I would call my drs office, but i am wondering if this is something that others have experienced as part of the heaing process. I am just very surprised since I have not had pain like this since the day or two after surgery, which was 18 days ago.

Any suggestions, info, or advice is appreciated :-(
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:51 AM

I had all sorts of weird and not so wonderful aches and pains after my opp, I was rest assure that they where all part of the healing possess and they did subside.
If they are very painfully so much so that your pain killers don't dull them then contact the Dr for advice, otherwise I am sad to say it is all normal.
Good luck with the healing posses, soon it will all be a distant memory!
Take care Aisha
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:39 PM

I was warned to be sure and fill my pain prescription when I left the hospital--I hadn't needed pain meds while there, but the surgeon said that "sharp pains" were to be expected, and I'd want the drugs for them. So, while it's always good to check with your doctor if you have any concerns, it sounds like it might just be par for the course. Which is kind of good news and bad news all at the same time.
Unread 02-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Sharp Pain

I'm also experiencing this pain too, but on my right side. I find that keeping on top of it with my pain medication helps a lot. I do wish it would go away; its good to know that it is to be expected.
Unread 02-24-2008, 02:18 PM

I had the same pain on my right side. Nurse told me that it's usually gas. I have noticed that when I feel gassy it hurts and when I don't have gas I am okay.

Hope you feel better.
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks for all of the words of wisdom ladies!

The pain is still there, but just an ache, vs the sharp pain from this morning. Everything else seems to feel fine and I did get out for a long walk today and some shopping. I'm gonna spend the rest of the evening on the couch!!

Thanks again for the feedback!!
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM

There is another thread someone started about a burning, tearing pain lower left side near her incision and there were many posts of which I was one.

My Dr's assistant thought it might be a stitch in the fascia layer, or a nerve that was irritated and suggested I try warm, moist compresses and lots of rest. That did the trick for me in a couple days. I have not had the pain at all today.

Hope this helps a little.
Unread 02-25-2008, 09:41 AM

Illtaketherain:
I have that same sharp pain... when it does subside, the outer skin layer feels like it has been chafed terribly or like a bad sunburn... I am hoping this will go away, but I agree, stay on top of your pain meds.. I noticed mine is worse if I sit for long periods or go for a ride in the car and get jostled around... I did call my doctor and he said this is to be expected.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.