HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Skin feels like it has a sunburn anyone else have this? Skin feels like it has a sunburn anyone else have this?

Unread 03-02-2008, 12:04 PM
HELP!Skin feels like it has a sunburn anyone else have this?

Hello,

I had a TAH on 2/18 and I am on HRT now. This past Friday I noticed that the skin on my abdomen feels like it has a sunburn. I have been wearing my abdominal binder religiously and noticed that when my soft cotton tshirt toucheds my skin it feels very uncomfortable, the best way to describe it is to say it is like when you get a sunburn. This is like a light sunburn. When I wear the binder I do not notice this feeling, but when I remove it to sleep I feel the sunburn discomfort. I am going to Dr 3/3 for my 2 week post op appt and will discuss then. I am hoping & praying this is not a symptom of an infection.
Thanks for any input & sharing
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Skin feels like it has a sunburn anyone else have this?

I guess I have the same sort of feeling - hard to describe but I can see describing it as "tender, like a sunburn". I only have the feeling for an inch or two above the incision. Is that where yours is ?
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:06 PM

Ladies:
This is quite common.. These are the nerves "re-awakening" and I have heard from some that they think there is a slight burn from the device they cauterize blood vessels with.. It does get better with time... I now notice my panties don't bother me as much as they did earlier on.
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I am 4 months post-op and I still have that feeling at the end of the day. I notice it more if my abdomen is more noticebly swollen. I believe it is due to the trauma to the nerves.

CS
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:40 PM

Yep, the skin just below my belly button just hurts to the touch. It'll go away in time, I'm sure.
Unread 03-02-2008, 01:46 PM

Hi Daragh!

I had my TAH on Feb. 8, 08. During the first week post-op, my skin felt exactly like that. I felt like I had a sunburn all around the incision....yikes!!! I wore those mesh, hospital undies and they gave my abdomen air and didn't feel as heavy as regular underwear. They worked very well. The past 2 weeks, the area now feels numb on my skin and aches internally. My doc says this is all normal.

My doc said if there was infection, there could be discharge, redness, lots of swelling and/or possible nausea.

All of our symptoms, surgeries and recoveries are individual. I'm just sharing what I've learned from mine.

Take care and have a good follow up appointment at the docs. I have my follow up this week as well. I'm not sure if she will remove my steri-strips then....ouch! We'll see........

Have a good day!

Peace, Irish Bridie
Unread 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Thank you all for sharing your personal stories with me. My "sunburn feeling" seems to be on my entire abdomen and even on my groin & upper thighs sometimes, but mostly on my abdomen. When I return from the Dr tomorrow, I will post what she tells me in hopes of helping you all too. I am hoping the post op appt doesn't involve an exam as I cant imagine the pain it may cause..yikes! I hope you all feel better with each passing day. Thanks again, your input has helped me relax a bit for today. I know I will feel much better about my symptoms once I discuss with Dr. I so do not want an infection to delay my recovery It's only been 2 weeks yet some days it feels like months !
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:32 PM

I had this also, but all the way down to my knees. I became very bloated after my surgery and it lasted the longest in my legs (besides the swelly belly). I think some of this sunburn feeling is the skin being stretched from swelling (my knees were huge). It took a little over a week for my legs to go down, sleeping in the recliner with pillows under my feet.

Good luck!

bitterpill
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:20 PM

Hello Sisters,

I am back from my 2 week post op Dr appt and am ready to report my .
I brought up all of my "issues" with Dr and am very happy to report everyone of them is normal or to be expected.
The sunburn type feeling I described to her is normal and can be caused by several different things,ie. nerves awakening, skin being stretched & swollen, drape they use during surgery, most importantly, she stated it is normal and not to worry.
So, I thought I would share this tidbit in hopes of easing your worries today. I hope you are all feeling better with each passing day.
Unread 08-26-2008, 06:21 AM

I am so greatful for this post..I was worried that the sudden skin sensation was an infection..it is a relief to know it is all normal. There are so very many 'extra' bits of info that come with this surgery. I love this site

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.