HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

sneezing (silly question....) sneezing (silly question....)

Unread 03-04-2008, 02:16 AM
sneezing (silly question....)

Hi ladies,

So, I even debated asking this on the forum... I probably sound like a hypochondriac, but I swear I'm not!! This is just my first major surgery, and I've been healthy my whole life that I've never had to deal with these sorts of issues we deal with durign recovery.... so, now that I'm done with all my qualifiers....

Sunday night, I sneezed for the first time since my surgery. YES... I made it 27 days before my first sneeze. It just came out of NOWHERE... well, it was extremely painful, and after I sneezed, I got this jabbing knife like pain in my right side.... right around where I think my appendix used to be. (had an appendectomy along with my hyster).

Well, the pain from this was actually so bad I ended up taking a percocit before bed because I was in true pain after this sneeze and the pain did not go away... I literally hobbled to my bed .... I was kind of worried, actually. But, I decided if I woke up in this same kind of pain in the morning, I'd call my doctor.

Well, I felt better Monday morning, but was still achy... but the knife pain was not there when I woke up.

Although, as Monday went on, the sharp pain started coming back again, and now it's 12:15 AM and I'm headed to bed, and every time I walk, this pain is there now. I did have this same type of pain early on in my recovery, but it wasn't until I sneezed that this pain came back.

Do you think it's possible that a sneeze could do HARM to whatever is healing inside, or do you think that I'm just hurting because my abs were used forcefully for that second when I sneezed?

I'll see how I feel in the morning, but I almost feel kind of dumb calling my doctor saying that I sneezed and now something hurts... haha.

Maybe this pain will be totally gone tomorrow and this will be a non-issue. But, I just wanted to see from any of you if you think a sneeze could actually cause harm??

I know... I sound so paranoid, but I have been doing SO well with NOT over-doing it during my recovery, and I'll be so mad if a sneeze causes something to go wrong....

I just hope it's another 27 days till my next sneeze... it was NOT pleasant.

Thanks....
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:35 AM

LTR:
Once again I think sneezing falls into that category where maybe you turned quickly or bent down extra low (thats what I do when i sneeze)
I feel if the pain is still there it wouldn't hurt to check but my guess is they will say it is "normal". If i hear that word again I think I will scream.
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:59 AM

Hi LTR,
I'm so sorry your are dealing with this annoying setback. I'm paranoid of adhesions now so I think every twinge is causing some sort of bleeding or seeping that is going to super glue my guts together Hopefully you just pulled something since the sneeze was unexpected. I've done that a couple of times, but not since this surgery.

My hysterectomy was my very first surgery too so I understand you being paranoid, I'm right there with you. How long does it take you to get over a good muscle pull or charlie horse? I would say, if the pain lasts longer than a pulled muscle, then call the doc. I sneeze all the time and DH noticed when I finally stopped following each sneeze with a loud "OUCH!" every time, about week 5. I still brace for them though.

Keep us posted!
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:14 AM

Hi LTR,

This is NOT a silly question. I'm only 6 days post op and have yet to sneeze or cough, but that's one of my biggest worries--especially since I have seasonal allergies. Our growing season is right around the corner, so I'm armed with antihistamines.
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM

You have grounds to call your doctor and ask. It may be nothing--or it might be something.

This is why your insurance company pays them the big bucks. They know, and you do not. Ask.

I'm home today with my first case of the flu since my "coronation" six months ago, and coughing ans sneezing is still no fun. Brace your tummy when you feel one coming.
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks everyone.

This morning is just like yesterday morning... the pain is gone... just my normal little ache and other weird feelings I have at this point. But, this is how I felt yesterday morning.... hopefully the pain won't come back. :-)

Snowy_Owl, that is a good point... I probably just pulled something. Being I haven't used my abs in 4 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if I did pull something... although, I have pretty strong abs.... but they have definitely been on hybernation mode for 4 weeks, so it would not be surprising if my abs were shocked when I sneezed. haha..

Before this surgery, it'd take blood, high fevers, or just me feeling so sick that I couln't function to get me to go to the doctor or even take any sort of medication. I remember sometimes laying in bed at night with terrible period cramps, and my husband finally convincing me to take Ibuprofin or Tylenol. I even injured my knee 2 1/2 years ago, and it took me about 2 months to finally go to the doctor... I kept feeling pain in my knee, but in my mind, it wasn't bad enough to go to a doctor (dumb ME), and as a result, I ended up in knee surgery (and the doctor gave me a good lecture for ignoring the injury ). So, pre-hysterectomy, I was very stubborn and ignored aches and pains.... it'd drive my DH NUTS.

But, now I swear, this surgery has turned me into a hypochondriac. HAHA!! I NEVER used to be this way (where I'd feel something strange and then suddenly think the worst)... that is so different than the way I used to be. I think I am just really worried about not healing right and then having to pay later with another surgery.

I will be so relieved when I'm fully recovered and pain-free (from this surgery).

Thanks for the advice everyone...

pbgvfan - at 6 days post-op, the fear of sneezing was FAR greater for me than it is even now. I don't know how I managed to make it 27 days.... haha. Good luck with your recovery!! :-)
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:57 AM

LTR -

I sneezed 4 times yesterday and seriously I thought my guts were going to burst out! It is SO painful and reverberates forever!!

I'm glad it's better again this am. Let's hope it doesn't come back and you can continue to have an uneventful recovery

Starbgirl
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:20 AM

LTR,
LOL, I understand. It is easy to ignore a knee injury, you aren't going to die from it even in a worst case scenario. Problems in our gut, on the other hand, are scary because they could be/lead to a life threatening situation or at least going back to square one with another surgery.

I wonder if your abs being in top shape make them more likely to spasm in the event of a sneeze after weeks of idleness. It seems like a serious calf cramp would be more sever the stronger the calves are, more strength to really rip at something.
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Wendy,

Yes, you are so correct in that our gut is much more critical than a knee! haha. Also, with your knee, there are only a few things that could be wrong... ligaments, fracture, scar tissue, torn meniscus... but with teh abdomen... geez... there's a million things that could be brewing in there.... abcess, adhesions, scar tissue, hemmoragging, polyps... and the list can go on and on... and as I have now first hand-experience, abdominal surgery is WAYYYY worse than knee surgery! So, you are correct in what you said.

As for the stronger the abs, the more likely to get a worse charlie horse/cramp... that sounds accurate to me, to be honest. I actually emailed my personal trainer about this (not about my sneeze...HAHA... but about cramping muscles during recovery). He told me that when you are in pain, you tense up your body, so it makes sense why I'd cramp. He also said that my muscles are used to being stretched on a daily basis (I always stretch really well after my workouts) and he said when they aren't stretched, they are more likely to cramp. He didn't mention that the stronger the muscles you have, or the more muscle you have, the more you'll cramp, but I also have really strong back muscles, and I have had the worst knots in my back these past 4 weeks. It's just from my back over-compensating, I'm sure, for my lack of abs.

I am actually meeting my personal trainer this Thursday.... NOT TO WORKOUT at all, but mostly just to catch up and he wants to hear about my recovery, and to make a plan for after I get the go-ahead from my doc to start working out again. But, he also said he knows of some stretches i can do that do not at all involved my abs, so he's going to help me with that and hopefully work on some of my muscle aches in my legs and back. I'll be careful... remember.. I'm now a borderline hypochondriach. haha!!! Plus, my trainer had abdominal surgery last year to fix a hernia, so he knows ALL about abdominal surgery.

Thanks for all the advice ladies... if the pain comes back, I might put a call into my doc, but so far, it hasn't come back this morning.

Can't wait to feel normal (wait... didn't I say that all the time when I was on the pre-op board??? haha).

Take care!!

ps. when I meet my trainer on Thursday, I'm meeting him at our gym. Well, our gym is huge, and the parking lot can be a far walk. He is such a great guy... he pulled some strings and got me a pass to park in the Phycisal Therapy spots which are right next to the handi-cap spots by the front doors of the gym (our gym has a whole physical therapy clinic in it, too). So, he's watching out for me. :-) I've been working out with him for 4 years... he's an amazing athlete himself, and has been wonderful to work with.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.